Deal Alert! Head-Direct RE0 $79 for Thanksgiving.
Jan 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #316 of 334
The deal is still going on in case anyone is still interested. I just placed an order to try since I am a huge fan of mids and high detail. Let's hope these are better than my SE210.

Just wondering, do you think the SE210 foam sleeves will fit on these?

Let's hope I didn't waste $79 on this. At first I thought the site looked kinda shady and it's China. But everyone is hyping this, so heck I hope you guys are right
tongue.gif

Anyone know how long shipping will take? Will there be a tracking #? Is it via envelope or parcel box? Which courier? I live in West coast Canada.

dL

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #317 of 334
If the SE210 foamies are like the E4 foamies, then they won't fit.
Just a quick update concerning tips: I tried every supplied tip, and while some of them provided a good fit under normal conditions, they all failed when working out in the gym. Either I couldn't get a good fit at all or it broke every other minute...
I then bought the v-moda replacement tips from a large online auction house. So far, I achieved a much better fit with them, although I still miss my foamies :|

-taurui

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #318 of 334
They're still on sale.... So these RE0 are the phones that people here said to beat ER-4P and E500. What's the deal with huge price drop? Did they drop quality/ package, tips bundles to sell at low price or are they exactly the same as their previous models, but just... lower price? Aint that too good to be true? I'm late on this but if anyone can counter my doubts then I will order asap. Please help!

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #319 of 334
I ordered last week and received it already. Quality is top notch. Go for it ichobi before it's too late!

dL

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #320 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're still on sale.... So these RE0 are the phones that people here said to beat ER-4P and E500. What's the deal with huge price drop? Did they drop quality/ package, tips bundles to sell at low price or are they exactly the same as their previous models, but just... lower price? Aint that too good to be true? I'm late on this but if anyone can counter my doubts then I will order asap. Please help!

IIRC it's because they released their new flagship iem the RE252. They have had several revisions of the RE0 but they are of course for the better. They were raved on at the original price of $200, so at $79 it's a steal!

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #321 of 334
Damnit you guys! I'm pulling the trigger. Can anyone give me a quick comment on how these compared to HF5? I read lots of review and HF5 seems very positive. I don't know if they stand on the same level quality wise. (Price doesn't really matter to me now. I need to make a decision!. I know RE0 is a steal, heck I feel like a thief if I buy these). I can find HF5 for cheap too (not as cheap) but would like to hear!

PS. I'm using iPhone 3Gs / 320kbps mp3 and no amp. Would love good portability and durability and most importantly comfort.

I listen to mostly Jazz Blue Classical and very big on 40s big band. Punk rock sometimes but nothing heavy. Wouldn't mind tight bass.

From what I read in the forums, most people comes down to Hf5/ RE0 in this price range. (Which make me wonder whether the RE0' 200USD MSRP is worth it or is this thing a 100USD earphones marked up in price.)

Quick bullet points?
Thanks!

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #323 of 334
I use my RE0 on the iPhone 3G with 320kbps mp3 and they're awesome. And did I tell you I didn't even burn in yet?

dL

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #324 of 334
Quote:

From what I read in the forums, most people comes down to Hf5/ RE0 in this price range. (Which make me wonder whether the RE0' 200USD MSRP is worth it or is this thing a 100USD earphones marked up in price.)

Quick bullet points?
Thanks!

The HF5 has the ety signature (can't really describe it as I only demoed a pair of etys a while ago, but IIRC it was more treble focused). The RE0 has very neutral signature (you'll know what people mean by this after listening for a while
biggrin.gif
).

All earphones are sold at a fair to hefty markup, depending on what people will pay for them. The RE0s came on the scene at the beginning of the whole sub $100 dynamic driver IEM craze, and they were priced accurately for their competition (the er4p, SE530, etc.) at the time. I think Head Direct made a great decision lowering them to $80 so that the RE0 can continue to be king of the hill for best value.

Wouldn't mind tight bass? You've come to the right place, my friend!
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #325 of 334
I am almost sold. However as I live in the UK the RE0 will cost 90USD net while I can find HF5 for about 100 USD (from amazon) include shipping. This make them cost practically the same. A lot of people say that RE0 is kinda cold and accurate (jack of al trade, master of none), with a little forward mids, while HF5 seems to have a "warm" sound signature, a bit tighter bass, and pretty much the same for the rest.

Used ER6 before, love it but almost forgot what it sound like. Now using ADDIEM which is actually pretty good. I will get to bed for now and make the call tomorrow to clear up the confusion in my head!

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #326 of 334
Quote:

I am almost sold. However as I live in the UK the RE0 will cost 90USD net while I can find HF5 for about 100 USD (from amazon) include shipping. This make them cost practically the same. A lot of people say that RE0 is kinda cold and accurate (jack of al trade, master of none), with a little forward mids, while HF5 seems to have a "warm" sound signature, a bit tighter bass, and pretty much the same for the rest.

Used ER6 before, love it but almost forgot what it sound like. Now using ADDIEM which is actually pretty good. I will get to bed for now and make the call tomorrow to clear up the confusion in my head!

Hey, if this is "cold" sound, I'm fine with that! After two weeks of use I've fully acclimated to them. I wouldn't take the "master of none" line too seriously; what they do, they do damn well.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #328 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by G_T_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that true that this pair requires an amp for use with an iphone/ipod touch?

After a good amount of burn in (200+ hours) RE0 begins to sound really good even without an amp - the bass tighten up a lot. It will certainly benefit a good deal from amping, but it is not necessary after you give the RE0 enough burn in time. The main improvement with better amplification will be a richer, more detailed low end, even more transparency in the midrange and treble, as well as better speed and a more precise instrument placement in the soundstage. But a well burned in unamped RE0 already sounds very impressive.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #329 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a good amount of burn in (200+ hours) RE0 begins to sound really good even without an amp - the bass tighten up a lot. It will certainly benefit a good deal from amping, but it is not necessary after you give the RE0 enough burn in time. The main improvement with better amplification will be a richer, more detailed low end, even more transparency in the midrange and treble, as well as better speed and a more precise instrument placement in the soundstage. But a well burned in unamped RE0 already sounds very impressive.

Thanks a lot for the info!
This is really good! Sometimes is not the best to carry an Ipod touch+a Shure MPA+an amp+ headphones when being on the road....

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #330 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by G_T_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for the info!
This is really good! Sometimes is not the best to carry an Ipod touch+a Shure MPA+an amp+ headphones when being on the road....

No problem.
biggrin.gif
I also recommend taking out the foam, and putting it back in but not all the way so that there will remain some space between the foam and the driver. That will let the driver move more air and will improve bass response and soundstage as well. Also, the treble can sound a bit overly pronounced for some people and with some music, especially while the RE0 are still not fully burned in. To tame the treble a little, just put a bit of cotton inside the nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back