Deal Alert! Head-Direct RE0 $79 for Thanksgiving.
Nov 17, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #136 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether you like RE0s depends a lot on what you like headphones *for*. If you like punchy, deep bass, you won't like these. If you're looking for rich, wet vocals, you won't like these. The bass exists, especially if you amp them, but it won't startle you.

Clear, dry, detailed, accurate presentation, across a wide soundstage, is what these phones do well. Fun, poppy, clubby, thumpy presentation, not so much.

Excellent descriptions of the RE0 qualities.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #139 of 334
Got a little package in the mail today...
biggrin.gif

Not burned in yet, and I've had very little time with them so far (~30 or 40 minutes), so no judgments to speak of yet.

However... I will say this...

The pros I have read about are definitely there, and the cons I feared would be glaring really aren't. I don't see how anybody could be dissatisfied with these for $80!

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #140 of 334
Hey,
I ordered my headphones on Nov 6th, they gave me a tracking number for EMS. But when i enter the the tracking number, it says that there is no information for this tracking number =/ Anyone have an idea as to why?

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #141 of 334
Quote:

Whether you like RE0s depends a lot on what you like headphones *for*. If you like punchy, deep bass, you won't like these. If you're looking for rich, wet vocals, you won't like these. The bass exists, especially if you amp them, but it won't startle you.

Clear, dry, detailed, accurate presentation, across a wide soundstage, is what these phones do well. Fun, poppy, clubby, thumpy presentation, not so much.

So would radiohead, medeski martin & wood, baroque classical, doors, killers, etc. type bands work? (in other words, no rap, hiphop, techno or gagga)
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #142 of 334
Radiohead works well.. especially with their last few albums which are features a lot of highs and electronic components.

Listening to paranoid android at 192 kbps sounds great.. u can really hear the pain in thom's voice so to speak.

i do admit, if u have any low bitrate mp3s.. delete them and get better quality tracks.. its worth it.

I've had the latest re-0 version for more than a month now..and they do sound much better than the first time i heard them..

People complain about the bass.. but after some burning in.. the bass does sound good ..not ie8 thumpy but nontheless considering the price.. the re-0 wins hands down overall...

79 bucks is a bargain.. i bought them at 99.. and i dont feel bad at all that i paid $99 for em.. for those who are still wondering if "they're value for money"

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #143 of 334
Quote:

@TopPop: Ignore the tracking information from the USPS. It's useless. When I ordered the RE0, the tracking posted after the phones arrived.

another +1 here, although I do think they are more musical than the er4p/er4s and scl4.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #144 of 334
@kidmen: USPS tracking really, really sucks. Don't be surprised if you receive the phones before tracking. I mean it; it happened to me.

Not familiar with your bands, but baroque classical--especially a good string string recording like The Four Seasons or Bach's Violin Concert--is positively reborn on these phones.

Oddly enough, metal thrives on these phones. True, the foot drums sound like someone beating a pillow with an egg beater, but the parts that require fast attack--guitar riffs, blast beats on the cymbals and toms--get managed with ease.

And I agree with treqy: you're entering the quality range where low-quality mp3s start to sound low-quality. You'll be re-encoding to 256+ or even--*shudder*--FLAC.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #145 of 334
With my K701s, I attained transparency only at -v0. With ogg, it's achieved at q8 (that's the equivalent of -v2). I recommend that you switch to ogg, if your player can handle it
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #146 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's just a fit-thing for most people.

Unfotunately you're right. After another week of trying out different tips and rotating them up or sideways, I just can't wear them for longer than 20-30 minutes without severe ear pain. I think it mostly comes down to the metal and width of the housing as I had no such issues with the Super.Fi V2's and its narrower housing.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #147 of 334
Ordered! Let's see what this little thing can do! I'm kind of new to high quality audio, used to have only cheap $5 earbuds, but after a try on PL30, PL20, alpha and betaBRAINWAVZ, I'm kind of excited about this new world. I got an E3 and E5 for amps, next step is going to be a Cmoy from BioScienceGeek (already coming home), and I want to know if my ears can notice some difference in my music. If yes, then I will be poor in a couple of months, because I already have tons of equipments in my wish list... lol

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #148 of 334
I think the worst part of owning a RE0 for a few days would have to be realizing just how much smoother vocals can sound. And by extension just how much more $ it will cost me to find the sound signature and fit I'm looking for. Stupid headphone forum...

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #150 of 334
Well, I'm not sure what to say about these than what has already been said... and I'm also not sure what to really say without using cliché and suspicious superlatives... so I will just say that these IEMs are simply fantastic for the money!

They are not as thin as I was fearing they would be; they certainly don't sound like iM716! Fit is crucial for both the comfort and sound quality of these IEMs, but they come with a (somewhat) decent range of well-sealing tips. The single flange tips work well for me, since they are far more comfortable (the body doesn't stick out as far as with the double flange, which make it press against the lower cartilage around my ear), and add a bit of weight to the bottom end.

I will say that (Fuze > LOD > E5 > RE0) is far closer to having my main system with me in the café than I thought it would be, and also far closer than I ever would have thought would be possible with any portable setup I could afford. The RE0s have, most certainly, been the key factor here.

I will also say that there will be a FS post for a barely-used set of SoundMAGIC PL50 and Sony Hybrid tip set appearing very shortly...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back