Dead Can Dance...Seeking Advice/Reviews/Comments
Oct 11, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 37
I will also recommend the Box set.

As it has been mentioned already, it is a great compilation. Also, the DVD, IMHO, is a great bonus. You get the chance to appreciate them in a live performance (It's the Towards the Within Album actually, this album is a live recording). I never got to see them perform in a show, thus the DVD gave me this missing link to DCD. Lisa Gerrard is quite the stark performer. My favorite track in TTW is Oman (11), at the end of the performance every single member of the group is doing some form of percusion.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
Hum... Whalecatcher ....Dusty, it's more like Whalerider : NO harm was done to any whale during this recording....
wink.gif

/CD

'kay. Thanks for catching that.

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 37
It really depends on that track you heard for you to find the right album, since thier style changed considerably over thier career. I really do not think you can go wrong with the boxed set, since there is plenty of good music that you will have much time to discover.

But to throw my choice into the ring, I would have to say IN THE REALM OF THE DYING SUN is one of thier best. It's one Cd that would never leave my collection

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 37
If you wish to try out their albums (instead of the boxed set, which is expensive and can be difficult to find in some localities; or the best-of compilation, whose two exclusive tracks are just so-so), then Aion is probably the most approachable start. I however love The Serpent's Egg, an album that is stunning from cover artwork to music concepts.

Also get Spiritchaser -- a completely different style from their past, more tribal and "trancey"; perhaps reflecting Lisa Gerrard's true musical persona.

I think Towards the Within is one of their less successful album; it lacks the coherance that I've come to expect of DCD.

Lisa Gerrard has been discussed many times in this board, but there has been little discussion about the other half of the duo, Brenden Perry. Listening to his album The Eye of the Hunter, it is not hard to figure out why -- a lacklustre offering, more folk-rock than gothic poetry. I think I've played it maybe three times since I got it 2 years ago; I'll give it another chance tonight.

Oct 15, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP

Lisa Gerrard has been discussed many times in this board, but there has been little discussion about the other half of the duo, Brenden Perry. Listening to his album The Eye of the Hunter, it is not hard to figure out why -- a lacklustre offering, more folk-rock than gothic poetry. I think I've played it maybe three times since I got it 2 years ago; I'll give it another chance tonight.

Hi FalconP,

You can let this CD rest in peace now... it's only for completist....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 37
eek.gif
For some reason, based on the name, I always thought Dead Can Dance were some lame UK goth band, maybe a cut-rate Sisters Of Mercy, or even a light-weight industrial Ministry.

I picked up Wake, the 2-CD set from 2003. I had no idea!
eek.gif
Totally not the sound I was expecting. So much of the same kind of material from that period sounds so dated these days, but not this. Fantastic! An audio treat. Shame on me for missing out on them back in the day.

Anyway, Wake is mastered by John Dent and sounds quite good (he's done a lot of other CDs I've liked). Can anyone tell me who did the mastering on the 2001 box set? I think I'll pick that up and be done with it.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 37
Sorry for the bump. But anybody going to get the MFSL SACD remasters coming out soon?
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 37
That DCD boxset is very expensive now on used market, $90+
frown.gif

The 2CD collection Wake is still reasonable price, for best individual albums I like the middle period work best:

-Spleen and Ideal
-Serpent's Egg
-Aion

Later albums lost some of the magic for me..........
BTW the sound quality on those CDs listed above is quite good

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the bump. But anybody going to get the MFSL SACD remasters coming out soon?
biggrin.gif

The only remasters I knew of were planned to be released in Japan (maybe elsewhere too) as SACD in cardboards, but are now cancelled!
frown.gif

... already had "dead can dance" (the album) on my list!
mad.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only remasters I knew of were planned to be released in Japan (maybe elsewhere too) as SACD in cardboards, but are now cancelled!
frown.gif

... already had "dead can dance" (the album) on my list!
mad.gif

June 3, 2008 is the release date of the 4AD/MFSL versions ... Dead Can Dance 4AD/MFSL

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spiritchaser is not a bad place to start. It can be had on amazon for as little as $3.28. go here to take a listen.

Nice sounding album for sure, but I don't think that's really a good place to start for discovering the uniqueness of DCD, unless you are just in it for the audiophile sound quality. Like DA says, you need to go back a ways. Back to the late 80s. Within the realm of a dying sun.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 37
toward the within is a great album(dont fade away is a stand out track,brendans vocal is amazing)
serpents egg is also very good along with spirit chaser
the toward the within dvd is also worth getting seeing lisa doing sanvean is a stunning performance

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the info from cdjapan.
elusivedisc.com is not up to date as it seems - if it's the japanese release (has an obi fo shizz).

But that's the point, it's not the JPN release, it's the UK 4AD release mastered by MFSL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back