dCS Verdi Encore CD transport with DSD upsampling - I like my computer better!
Feb 19, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it better be bad a.s.s for 30K.
wink.gif

pat, give the dCS combo some more time. from all accounts, it seems like a top notch system.

The Swedish retail price is $50k and the improvement was similar as a few sheets of ERS Paper. If I had to choose between the dCS Verdi Encore transport or a dozen sheets of ERS Paper, I would choose ERS Paper!

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to wrap the Firewire cables in ERS Paper to see if it makes a difference.

I wrapped the Firewire and word clock cables in ERS Paper and it didn't fix the noise problem of the Verdi. After I unplugged the Firewire cable the brightness was reduced, after I unplugged the word clock cable there was a further improvement but it was smaller. But I still had brightness problems everytime the Verdi was turned on, when I put the Verdi in stand-by I got the best sound.

My Elgar Plus DAC is plugged into PS Audio Premier Power Plant and the Verdi Encore is plugged into another outlet, I guess that wasn't enough, I need to separate them more. I'm getting a PS Audio Quintet for the Verdi to see if it reduces the problem and makes the Verdi acceptable.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #19 of 55
Do I also need to buy the Siltech BNC cable to use as word clock? Or can I buy another brand for the BNC word clock?

I'm going to put the Verdi inside the closet and I need a longer cable anyway. The spinning disc inside Verdi is very loud and it bothers me, my Cary 303/300 is much quieter even when the Cary is next to me on my table and the Verdi is on the floor. Also, the remote control of Cary is very light and I like that, but with the Verdi, the remote control is very heavy and I almost drop it, I'm not superman, I don't know why they need to make the remote controls so heavy.

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Do I also need to buy the Siltech BNC cable to use as word clock? Or can I buy another brand for the BNC word clock?

I'm going to put the Verdi inside the closet and I need a longer cable anyway. The spinning disc inside Verdi is very loud and it bothers me, my Cary 303/300 is much quieter even when the Cary is next to me on my table and the Verdi is on the floor. Also, the remote control of Cary is very light and I like that, but with the Verdi, the remote control is very heavy and I almost drop it, I'm not superman, I don't know why they need to make the remote controls so heavy.

I don't think Siltech or anyone else makes BNC's. I just have regular BNC cables on my Esoteric and dCS.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Thanks for the link, it was many years ago the last time I bought a cable, I'm getting excited now.

No problem - I just hope you can optimize your system. I know you can get good performance from it.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

People complained of my crappy source, so I borrowed money from the bank and upgraded from my Benchmark DAC1 to dCS Elgar Plus DAC and dCS Verdi Encore transport (DSD upsampling, Firewire and word clock). But it sounded bad because I didn't hear the sound of real life anymore, it was flat and boring.

Computer transport is great

The 100 times more expensive CD transport sounded worse than my tweaked computer. Even my 192kbps mp3's sounded better than SACD! After I put Magix levitation feet under the Verdi it got smoother with more low-level detail, but it still sounded worse than my levitating computer because it sounded too flat, smooth and neutral. So I kept listening to my computer instead because it's both heavier and sharper than neutral which makes it sound more like real life (the heaviness is from fat Valhalla power cord and the sharpness is from jitter).

Problem with noise through cables

My computer is connected to my DAC with a cheap Toslink and it sounds very clean. But with the Verdi, I noticed problems with the Firewire connection. Whenever the Verdi was turned on it made my system sound bright, harsh and edgy. When I put the Verdi in standby it was smooth and clean again. To further test this, I connected a stock RCA cable from the computer to the Verdi. There was horrible brightness! My system isn't grounded anywhere and the ground noise from the computer went through the RCA cable.

I also tried to listen to the DSD upsampled computer signal through the Verdi... It got smoother but it was worse overall. Having the computer isolated from the audio system gave better sound even when using 44.1kHz and cheap Toslink.

Conclusion: So, the 44.1kHz computer with Toslink sounds better to me than the 100 times more expensive dCS Verdi Encore with DSD upsampling. I also get the best sound with the Verdi turned off!

Nobody wants to buy the Verdi from me now after this review, so I guess I'm going to keep it, it may come useful in the future somehow. I think I'm going to wrap the Firewire cables in ERS Paper to see if it makes a difference.

Is that Arnold Schwarzenegger in the back?

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny, because what most people end up saying about it is that it is the most bad-a.s.s. player they have ever heard. There have been few comments in terms of tangibles other than these kinds of superlatives. Regarding Esoteric or EMM, I didn't recommend THOSE to you.

Neil

Sorry if this is off topic, but how does the NWO compare to vinyl? I plan on getting Alex' NWO Dac when it is available.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #25 of 55
I gave the Verdi Encore another chance and compared it against the computer. The computer was better at first, but when the Verdi had warmed up for 2 hours I started hearing more low-level detail and dynamics, warm-up makes a huge difference! Verdi had more low-level detail than the computer but that was just because of a thinner power cord. I can easily add more low-level detail to the computer by removing the fat Valhalla power cord band-aid, but it would become too bright if I did that.

[size=medium]Stock power cord is better than Valhalla[/size]

The Verdi is meant to be used with thin power cords because it's still silky smooth. You don't need to veil the sound with fat cables. A couple hours after owning the Verdi I found that a stock power cord sounds better than Valhalla. I'm also using stock power cord (wrapped in ERS Paper) with my Elgar Plus DAC because it sounds better than Valhalla power cord. Based on previous experiments a stock power cord sounds harsh and bright but when it's wrapped in ERS Paper it has more low-level detail than Valhalla wrapped in ERS Paper.

I also realized that Valhalla power cord is a perfect match with Benchmark DAC1 because it smoothens out the edginess to make it sound like real life. Valhalla is also the best match for Class D amps and computer transports, because those components are edgier than neutral, while Valhalla is smoother than neutral.
But when using a dCS combo which already sounds silky, I don't need to add Valhalla power cord to smoothen it out further, I like stock power cord better because it's more revealing.

[size=medium]More Magix to computer = silky smooth![/size]

I turned the Verdi on and it added brightness into my system when listening to the computer, it gave me a headache so I needed to compensate for it somewhere in my system.

With Verdi, when going from 3 to 4 Magix the difference was very noticeable. So I thought I could try it with my computer too. But I didn't realize how HUGE the improvement would be. Going from 3 to 4 Magix under the computer case removed that extra brightness and made everything silky smooth with new low-level details everywhere. IMO, Magix is the best tweak in audio for any price. It made my computer sound almost as silky as the Verdi Encore. It's actually way too silky for my taste, the soundstage is deeper and cleaner but that aggressive sharpness I had before is now gone. It's more relaxing but it's boring to listen to. It doesn't sound like real life anymore. Maybe I need to remove that 4th Magix to put the sharpness back.

The sound signature of Verdi Encore and my computer are very close now, they both sound silky smooth. It's because of 4 Magix under the computer case and 1 Magix under the PSU.

I will still keep tweaking the Verdi to see how far it will go, because I hope that eventually it will be a significant upgrade from my computer. I have already stacked the Verdi with a lot of books and it gave slight improvements but not as huge as when I tried it with Cary 303/300. Vibration isolation doesn't improve the Verdi much. I'm going to try vibration dampening of the power cord soon to find out if the Verdi benefits from it...

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Thanks for the link, it was many years ago the last time I bought a cable, I'm getting excited now.

In that Swedish store it's $2200 for a 4meter Siltech Firewire cable, is it too much?

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

I wrapped the Firewire and word clock cables in ERS Paper and it didn't fix the noise problem of the Verdi. After I unplugged the Firewire cable the brightness was reduced, after I unplugged the word clock cable there was a further improvement but it was smaller. But I still had brightness problems everytime the Verdi was turned on, when I put the Verdi in stand-by I got the best sound.

My Elgar Plus DAC is plugged into PS Audio Premier Power Plant and the Verdi Encore is plugged into another outlet, I guess that wasn't enough, I need to separate them more. I'm getting a PS Audio Quintet for the Verdi to see if it reduces the problem and makes the Verdi acceptable.

The Quintet didn't fix the noise problem. I guess I need to live with it.

But I noticed that the sound quality of the Verdi Encore improved from plugging it into the Quintet. I heard a quieter and calmer background. Now the Verdi sounds better than the computer so that's a good thing.

I also found that the biggest improvement came from putting the Quintet between the wall and Premier Power Plant which is powering the Elgar Plus DAC. A new world of low-level detail opened up.
I also got an improvement when I put the Quintet on top of Magix, I was surprised!

With daisy chained power conditioners it sounds a little too warm, but the noise from the Verdi compensates for it to give synergy. When the Verdi is turned on, the thin transients sound whiter and more emphasized, but it sacrifices a little low-level detail to get it, however, since the daisy chained power conditioners give an overkill of low-level detail, this doesn't bother me. I can now keep the Verdi turned on!!

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 55
Wow. Can't believe I read this whole thread.

Got lots of great ideas. I run my power cords through a PVC pipe lined with tin foil, but the problem comes when the cords split off to go to the individual components and I dont have enough Y-splitters. I'll just use ERS paper.

But IMHO the concrete cinder blocks I set my equipment on do a better job than cones. The big problem is they crumble at the edges and get the carpet dirty, but marble slabs sounded too smooth. I like my music a little rough around the edges, to hear more detail.

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that Arnold Schwarzenegger in the back?

The Salman Rushdie book is an interesting prop as well.

Patrick, I was also wondering if you've run low on your supply of ERS paper? Your system is starting to look positively normal. What gives with that?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back