dCS Bartok
Dec 31, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,996 of 2,048
Good suggestion, the Rega box should work (with MM cartridges) and sound good enough for a mid–fi turntable.

If you want to get fancy, the Prism Sound Lyra 1 might be a choice. One needs a separate phono preamp though.

Prism Sound Lyra 1.jpeg

Or this one, from Dangerous Music, who are among the most respected brands in studio tech:

Dangerous Music AD+.jpeg

IIRC the USB inbut had to be formatted correctly and have files structured in a certain manner. I'll have to see if the USB output of a turntable would be compatible.
You might be thinking of attaching a USB stick for replay of files. Thats the other input on the back. The relevant USB input of the Bartók is a class 2 USB device. There is no file structure involved, its a digital data stream.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,997 of 2,048
Good suggestion, the Rega box should work (with MM cartridges) and sound good enough for a mid–fi turntable.

If you want to get fancy, the Prism Sound Lyra 1 might be a choice. One needs a separate phono preamp though.

Prism Sound Lyra 1.jpeg

Or this one, from Dangerous Music, who are among the most respected brands in studio tech:

Dangerous Music AD+.jpeg

You might be thinking of attaching a USB stick for replay of files. Thats the other input on the back. The relevant USB input of the Bartók is a class 2 USB device. There is no file structure involved, its a digital data stream.
Thank you for the clarification!

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #1,999 of 2,048
It took a bit longer than expected but it’s here! Running the burn in utility…

Attachments

• IMG_5229.jpeg
    IMG_5229.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,000 of 2,048
I’m interested in picking up a Rossini or maybe a Bartok (non-apex), does anyone here know how one or both would pair with the DNA Stellaris?

Currently using an Innuos Zenith Mk3 as a streamer into a Rockna Wavelight. Just looking for a solid upgrade.

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #2,002 of 2,048
I’m interested in picking up a Rossini or maybe a Bartok (non-apex), does anyone here know how one or both would pair with the DNA Stellaris?

Currently using an Innuos Zenith Mk3 as a streamer into a Rockna Wavelight. Just looking for a solid upgrade.

Thanks!

As we talked about this a little in the Stellaris thread, I tried the Bartok Apex yesterday and came away really impressed. I didn't really like the OG but the Apex version is the real deal.

IMG_5848.jpg

It's a bit hard to describe but if you listen to it by itself the Bartok Apex can sound vanilla but when you start comparing it to other DACs side by side then you slowly start to realize how correct / normal everything sounds. The WD Sig SE in comparison feels a little mellow and the stage is pushed a bit behind while the cen.grand is smoothened a little too much so there is a little simplification going on in the way it presents texture and details.

However I still think that Bartok Apex's presentation seems to be in the analytical side so I don't know if it will be right for your system if you already feel that the Wavelight is too bright. Non-Apex Bartok sounds more strident based on my memories too.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #2,003 of 2,048
As we talked about this a little in the Stellaris thread, I tried the Bartok Apex yesterday and came away really impressed. I didn't really like the OG but the Apex version is the real deal.

IMG_5848.jpg

It's a bit hard to describe but if you listen to it by itself the Bartok Apex can sound vanilla but when you start comparing it to other DACs side by side then you slowly start to realize how correct / normal everything sounds. The WD Sig SE in comparison feels a little mellow and the stage is pushed a bit behind while the cen.grand is smoothened a little too much so there is a little simplification going on in the way it presents texture and details.

However I still think that Bartok Apex's presentation seems to be in the analytical side so I don't know if it will be right for your system if you already feel that the Wavelight is too bright. Non-Apex Bartok sounds more strident based on my memories too.
I appreciate the info!

I don’t know if I’d say the Wavelight is too analytical, but I think it’s maybe the stellaris pulling out additional info and the WL is showing more harshness. Not sure. I feel it’s a bit of a bottleneck.

Anyways, I picked up a non-apex Rossini and I’m really liking it. I don’t find it too smooth or warm. The image presentation (images are large), stage (again large), bass, layering, texture, timbre is just awesome.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #2,004 of 2,048
There really should be a dCS thread lol.

So with the recent purchase of the Stellaris, I felt I needed a bit more out of my DAC to get the most performance possible. I felt there was a bit of a bottleneck and I was leaving performance on the table. The Wavelight has been great to me, and I absolutely love the DAC for the price and where it sits in the used market. I feel you get a lot for what you pay. I’d take it over the May and TT2, it’s just a solid DAC IMO.

But I needed a bit more. I’ve been doing a lot of research and thinking about my next move. I wanted something that could take upgrades, be updated remotely, and last me a long time. I wanted a solid built in streamer if possible and good software. Icing on the cake would be a nice UI accessible via an app. This would help with tweaking the DACs settings, updates, and even playing local files. Sound wise I wasn’t interested in anything too analytical but wanted something detailed enough without approaching that level, smooth up top (don’t like harsh, peaky highs), solid bass, and a nice stage if possible. I was hoping to get an improvement in layering, texture, and timbre. A buddy of mine mentioned the dCS line and the options they have, so I continued my research. I talked to @pippen99 as well and he was helpful as I made my decision. Well I came across an option and I couldn’t pass it up. It’s basically everything I was looking for.

Rossini! Not apex, but I’m still happy. Something to upgrade to later 😁

IMG_0613.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

Side note, when doing my research I noticed dCS uses composer names for their devices. So after reading up on Rossini, I had no idea he liked the Utopia. He even upgraded to the 2022 version before he died in 1868. Wild! Guy has amazing taste.
IMG_0114.jpeg

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #2,005 of 2,048
There really should be a dCS thread lol.

So with the recent purchase of the Stellaris, I felt I needed a bit more out of my DAC to get the most performance possible. I felt there was a bit of a bottleneck and I was leaving performance on the table. The Wavelight has been great to me, and I absolutely love the DAC for the price and where it sits in the used market. I feel you get a lot for what you pay. I’d take it over the May and TT2, it’s just a solid DAC IMO.

But I needed a bit more. I’ve been doing a lot of research and thinking about my next move. I wanted something that could take upgrades, be updated remotely, and last me a long time. I wanted a solid built in streamer if possible and good software. Icing on the cake would be a nice UI accessible via an app. This would help with tweaking the DACs settings, updates, and even playing local files. Sound wise I wasn’t interested in anything too analytical but wanted something detailed enough without approaching that level, smooth up top (don’t like harsh, peaky highs), solid bass, and a nice stage if possible. I was hoping to get an improvement in layering, texture, and timbre. A buddy of mine mentioned the dCS line and the options they have, so I continued my research. I talked to @pippen99 as well and he was helpful as I made my decision. Well I came across an option and I couldn’t pass it up. It’s basically everything I was looking for.

Rossini! Not apex, but I’m still happy. Something to upgrade to later 😁

IMG_0613.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

Side note, when doing my research I noticed dCS uses composer names for their devices. So after reading up on Rossini, I had no idea he liked the Utopia. He even upgraded to the 2022 version before he died in 1868. Wild! Guy has amazing taste.
IMG_0114.jpeg
Is that the one that was on USaudiomart? Nice score man, hope you really enjoy it :) :sunglasses: One would think it would be pretty awesome with the DNA.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,006 of 2,048
Is that the one that was on USaudiomart? Nice score man, hope you really enjoy it :) :sunglasses: One would think it would be pretty awesome with the DNA.
It was. Sam was really enjoyable to work with. He even assisted with shipping costs.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #2,007 of 2,048
congrats on the Rossini purchase.

for a good while i was considering a dCS Bartok (non-apex). the price on the secondary market is reasonable and probably even better after some negotiation, given that there are often a few listed. however, i put that money elsewhere so the dCS dream will have to wait for a bit, but this is pretty much my endgame source.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #2,008 of 2,048
congrats on the Rossini purchase.

for a good while i was considering a dCS Bartok (non-apex). the price on the secondary market is reasonable and probably even better after some negotiation, given that there are often a few listed. however, i put that money elsewhere so the dCS dream will have to wait for a bit, but this is pretty much my endgame source.
Thanks!

Yeah I went back and forth a lot with this. But it having a solid streamer allows me to have one less box. Then you add the used price along with a streaming capability, upgradable options, etc. I felt it was a good move.

If I went with something along the lines of a Wavedream (prob would have went signature to make it a solid upgrade), I’d have to keep my streamer, and I’d be close to the difference of what I’ll pay once I move some of my current gear. So to me it was a smarter decision. If that makes sense lol.

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #2,009 of 2,048
I’m building my system towards a dCS DAC and now considering my next step. How are you all connecting to the dCS DAC’s? Is Ethernet the best interface?

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #2,010 of 2,048
I’m building my system towards a dCS DAC and now considering my next step. How are you all connecting to the dCS DAC’s? Is Ethernet the best interface?

Mainly Ethernet for music. USB and SPDIF for general media consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back