dCS Bartok
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,609 of 2,048
Hi. My Bartok (with headphone amp) arrives tomorrow. I’m quietly excited to join the dCS club. Is there any advice on which filters or settings to start with? I come from mainly R2R DACs which I enjoy for their smooth and musical NOS presentation.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,610 of 2,048
My Bartok arrived today. It is simply fantastic. Beautiful. Refined. Musical. Exceptional in every way. I have not heard music presented like this. It will take some time to understand what is hitting my senses. It excels with both speakers and headphones. Very happy with this purchase.

Aug 27, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,611 of 2,048
My Bartok arrived today. It is simply fantastic. Beautiful. Refined. Musical. Exceptional in every way. I have not heard music presented like this. It will take some time to understand what is hitting my senses. It excels with both speakers and headphones. Very happy with this purchase.
Great, enjoy it! Are you using it with Roon and USB or networked?

I'm unfamiliar with the Kinki EX-M1+.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #1,612 of 2,048
Great, enjoy it! Are you using it with Roon and USB or networked?

I'm unfamiliar with the Kinki EX-M1+.
Roon. Networked using media converters with a fibre run into ethernet. I find the Kinki EX-M1+ to be a rather special amp at its price point. Plenty glowing reviews around the interwebs, and deservedly so.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,613 of 2,048
It’s baaaaak!
108A56EA-BBC8-4A34-8379-FFEB0B31A15E.jpeg

Aug 31, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #1,614 of 2,048
Is it advised to put the Bartok off when not in use or is standby ok i.e., the Bartok would pretty much never be turned off. I prefer to leave it on standby when not in use unless it is not advised over the longer term.

Edit: This question is well answered here.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,615 of 2,048
Congrats!

I'm sure you have tons of questions - check out the official dCS forum. It is way more active than this forum and there are answers to questions you didn't even know you had.
https://dcs.community/

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,616 of 2,048
Hi. My Bartok (with headphone amp) arrives tomorrow. I’m quietly excited to join the dCS club. Is there any advice on which filters or settings to start with? I come from mainly R2R DACs which I enjoy for their smooth and musical NOS presentation.
I also like a smoother presentation and I tend to use Filter 3. Ensure you update the firmware as it sounded even better after the recent update.

That's the beauty of those FGPA chips as they can upgrade the device quite easily.

The new DXDx2 is pretty nice.

I recently listened to the Bartok with a Feliks Envy + Meze Elite and I can say it's the best thing I have ever heard. Ever.

I was using the Bartok HE directly before but Oh My that amp is crazy good with the Bartok.

Believe the reviews on this DAC - it's incredible.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #1,617 of 2,048
Focal Stellia

First of all, the Naim seems a bit warmer to me. That’s not to say the Bartok is better or worse, but definitely the first thing that stood out immediately. That is definitely a preference item. When critical listening, I find myself preferring a sound others call clinical. That said, my Naim isn’t gone, it now has nightstand duty with some Focal Radiance (which are a bit warmer than the Stellia on their own). Secondly, the Bartok does pull out more detail. How much is the DAC vs the integrated amps I’m not sure. Certain tracks I do pick elements out more clearly with the Bartok in two distinct ways: more resolution and better separation. In terms of resolution it’s as if I’m using a better source file, like I have a redbook file and went to a 192/24 version, there just a little more clarity around the edges. In terms of separation, I’m able to better locate sounds in more of a pinpoint or layer separate from other sounds that may even be co-located. It’s hard to describe. I was in orchestra in school and you learned how to pick out the sound of an individual around you despite there being 50 or 75 other kids all playing in their various sections. That ability to pick out elements in some tracks is easier with the Bartok. I also have tried the Naim and the Bartok in my 2-channel setup. There the difference is more stark than with my Stellia. It’s everything I said above, just more. Additionally, in that 2-channel setup, the bass is more articulate.
I've been catching up on this thread and have been contemplating either an upgrade to Bartok or downgrade to Naim vs my current set-up (see below).

Am interested that you have adopted the Bartok for speakers but Naim / Linn for nightstand / Desktop. From what you've said therefore the difference is not night & day vs the Bartok for headphones (my main listening mode). Or is that a function of ergenomics ie changing out the Bartok from 2 channel is a PITA.

Either way that's impressive for the Naim / Linn in streaming to headphones usage given the difference in £s between the players?

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,618 of 2,048
In case anyone is considering the Lina amp...just..don't.

Really not surprised. The headphone amp in the Bartok is also not very good.

I think among the flagship DACs that I have ever tested only Dave has a very good headphone out. Tambaqui is another one that had a so-so headphone out.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,619 of 2,048
Really not surprised. The headphone amp in the Bartok is also not very good.

I think among the flagship DACs that I have ever tested only Dave has a very good headphone out. Tambaqui is another one that had a so-so headphone out.
To be fair the DAC is what you buy the Bartok for.

The Headphone out is very neutral to my ears. I think they tuned it that way so it drives a wide range of headphones but it can sound a little boring at times as a result.

I use a bit of EQ to spice it up a bit.

It's still good imo but I think you need a separate headphone amp to get the best out of it.

Paired with a top end tube amp it's truly magnificent. Can't wait for that Envy!

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,620 of 2,048
I see a bit of talk about the Envy with the Bartok. How is the preamp on the Envy? Or does one buy it only for the headphone out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back