dCS Bartok
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #346 of 2,064
i'm using a Sony Ta-Zh1ES now and after getting some isotek mains filters that improved it considerably,ordered an IFI galvanic ,worked for 10 minutes ,then died.Sending it back.Seems silly money for this dac,but i'd rather just get something like the Bartok/Dave which supposedly don't need it.
I've never tried the iFi galvanic, but I've heard things about iFi stuff not being reliable. If you are curious about how reclocking can help, you can try the Uptone Audio ISO Regen with the Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 (which is a very good, inexpensive linear power supply) for 30 days, and if you don't like them, you can return the items and get your money back. I have personally tried the ISO Regen and the LPS 1.2 and it made me a reclocker believer. Other people have had similar experiences. The only reason I sold my ISO Regen was because I got an even better reclocker with a master clock, the Innuos Phoenix. It costs like $3K, and had I not heard the benefit from the ISO Regen, I probably would have never bought it. But wow, the Innuos Phoenix is amazing!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #347 of 2,064
I've never tried the iFi galvanic, but I've heard things about iFi stuff not being reliable. If you are curious about how reclocking can help, you can try the Uptone Audio ISO Regen with the Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 (which is a very good, inexpensive linear power supply) for 30 days, and if you don't like them, you can return the items and get your money back. I have personally tried the ISO Regen and the LPS 1.2 and it made me a reclocker believer. Other people have had similar experiences. The only reason I sold my ISO Regen was because I got an even better reclocker with a master clock, the Innuos Phoenix. It costs like $3K, and had I not heard the benefit from the ISO Regen, I probably would have never bought it. But wow, the Innuos Phoenix is amazing!
Probably can't do that in my country,but i'm sick of returning/trying stuff out anyway,this is the whole reason the Bartok is appealing.No more hunting for snake oil merchants and headaches.Kinda expensive atm though.Especially considering current pricing on Dave.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #348 of 2,064
Probably can't do that in my country,but i'm sick of returning/trying stuff out anyway,this is the whole reason the Bartok is appealing.No more hunting for snake oil merchants and headaches.Kinda expensive atm though.Especially considering current pricing on Dave.
Where are you from?

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #349 of 2,064
I've actually been in the market to buy a Bartok for my bedroom. It is expensive, but for all that is in it, it is actually kind of a bargain. If you go the DAVE route, you get the DAVE for like $8 or $9K from your dealer with a dealer discount, a good streamer for about $4k, a reclocker for $3K, high end USB cables for $1K, high end power cords for 3 devices (anywhere from $1500 to $5K). That adds up to like $18K or more. The Bartok does all that for $15K list. There's also a lot less headache, kind of what you were alluding to.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #352 of 2,064
I've actually been in the market to buy a Bartok for my bedroom. It is expensive, but for all that is in it, it is actually kind of a bargain. If you go the DAVE route, you get the DAVE for like $8 or $9K from your dealer with a dealer discount, a good streamer for about $4k, a reclocker for $3K, high end USB cables for $1K, high end power cords for 3 devices (anywhere from $1500 to $5K). That adds up to like $18K or more. The Bartok does all that for $15K list. There's also a lot less headache, kind of what you were alluding to.
That's one way to try to justify it.But unless you can actually a/b the Dave with all that and really notice 12k worth of difference (dave can be had for less than 7k) it's just speculation.Plus here's a better idea,you can just get the Sony DMP-Z1 ,that's portable,battery powered and call it a day.(No streaming though,just storage)

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #353 of 2,064

Totally agree

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #356 of 2,064
A big reason I decided to trade in my Chord Hugo TT2 and go for a Bartok was that I very much prefer to have fewer units. The sound quality of it did not hurt either. Getting a great deal from my local dealer it was an easy choice.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #359 of 2,064
How great? :p there are great deals on Dave as well.
Not going to name any numbers here :wink: However he gave me full price for trading in my TT2 and a discount.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #360 of 2,064
Well he claims the "improvement" is noise floor modulation (distorsion) which some people like,say how some people like tube amps.
Still,most dacs buffer and reclock the usb data themselves,so besides jitter and added distorsion,how would "getting the ones and zeroes faster " make any difference to the sound? Breakdowns and personal biases aside.

It isn't 1/0 down a metal cable, never has been, its a square(ish) wave that isn't perfect and suffers from noise... Its an analogue representation of a digital signal of 1/0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back