dCS Bartok
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,081 of 2,050
In case anyone is wondering about using aftermarket fuses in their dCS products, I just put the stock fuse back in my Rossini DAC after using a Synergistic orange fuse for a month. The stock fuse sounds so flat in comparison. Like some of the energy was sucked out of the music. No way would I go back to the stock again. So I just ordered another Syngergistic fuse for the clock.

Note that dCS discourages aftermarket fuses, buy many owners report great results with them.
Hi can you please point me to the exact fuse spec to buy on the synergistic site? Not very familiar with this and would like to try for my Rossini 240V. TIA.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #1,082 of 2,050
Hi can you please point me to the exact fuse spec to buy on the synergistic site? Not very familiar with this and would like to try for my Rossini 240V. TIA.
Hi, per the Rossini manual the fuse is "20mm x 5mm T 1A L" So it's a Small 1.0 amp slow blow fuse. I definitely recommend buying from a dealer where you can return it if you don't feel there's any benefit. Also, if it blows for some reason they should be able to swap it for a new one.

The dealer also recommended the Hifi Tuning Supreme Cu fuse for someone looking for the warmest possible sound. Also, this fuse is around half price as the top of the line Synergistic.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,083 of 2,050
It's not going to be super positive unfortunately :frowning2:

It's good, but the sound is honestly quite...well...bland.

I preferred May, DAVE+MScaler, Wavedream, and Terminator Plus to the Bartok. All for different reasons, but I don't really feel that the Bartok is keeping up with some of the competition. I'm kinda disappointed tbh, was expecting it to be quite a bit better.
You're quite measurement oriented and the trend I've noticed across similar mindsetted individuals is they tend to favour and prefer gear that measure well on paper regardless of what it might actually sound like. Psychoacoustic and predetermined biases from whatever measurements is always present. That said, do feel the fact the Bartok performs poorly in the ultrasonic noise department is skewing your perception compared to other DACs that do not suffer from such?

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,084 of 2,050
You're quite measurement oriented and the trend I've noticed across similar mindsetted individuals is they tend to favour and prefer gear that measure well on paper regardless of what it might actually sound like. Psychoacoustic and predetermined biases from whatever measurements is always present. That said, do feel the fact the Bartok performs poorly in the ultrasonic noise department is skewing your perception compared to other DACs that do not suffer from such?
I always listen to everything for quite some time before I measure it specifically to avoid measured performance biasing what I hear or expect to hear.
I find that measurements can often provide interesting potential explanations for some of the subjective characteristics we hear. But I do not at all use them as a basis for what 'should be good', and make sure that my subjective opinions are formed BEFORE I measure, not after.

I'm not at all in the camp that 'measuring well = sounds good'. IMO measurements need more evaluation than simply 'higher number better'

Hell, right now I'm listening to 1266 on wa33, which is hardly a 'low THD' setup :p

20211014_141440.jpg

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,086 of 2,050
I always listen to everything for quite some time before I measure it specifically to avoid measured performance biasing what I hear or expect to hear.
I find that measurements can often provide interesting potential explanations for some of the subjective characteristics we hear. But I do not at all use them as a basis for what 'should be good', and make sure that my subjective opinions are formed BEFORE I measure, not after.

I'm not at all in the camp that 'measuring well = sounds good'. IMO measurements need more evaluation than simply 'higher number better'

Hell, right now I'm listening to 1266 on wa33, which is hardly a 'low THD' setup :p

20211014_141440.jpg
That's an awesome rig

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #1,087 of 2,050
So what are people's experiences with power conditioners connected to the Bartok (manufacturer's recommendations notwithstanding) ?

Because I just listened through the evening with the Bartok connected to an AudioQuest Niagara 1200, and am super-impressed. The changes in sound quality are very much in line with the best listening sessions I've had late at night, usually after 1 in the morning (I have bad power quality in my building, and my system sounds its worst in the main evening hours until close to midnight).

Here are some notes I was jotting down while listening (which I've also just now added onto, can't lie):

extra-smooth
darker in the treble
less upper-mids!
bass lines less "recessed". "thicker".
subbass is more "tuneful"
music sounds "simplified"
less "artificial detail"
more analog
more depth!!
sound is generally less forward
leading edges have a more rounded character
can play music louder
less fatiguing for sure
my tube amp now sounds more like my solid-state amp, and vice-versa
'warble' of sustained piano notes are more noticeable, pretty sweet
piano notes more full-bodied in the lower register
percussion on Matthew Shipp - Reels = OMG

When I first got this power conditioner 5 days ago, it sounded tight and bright (similar to what I described about the P12 power regenerator), so I burned it in connected to my gaming PC (running PGGB continuously, lol), without trying it again until this evening. For now I'm only connecting the DAC to the Niagara and leaving my amps plugged into the wall.

Last thing to say on this for now is that one of the two "high current" outlets does not work, so the unit is going to have to be replaced. So that's pretty lame, but yea. "Audiophile" products and all that...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,088 of 2,050
IMG_20211022_233244.jpg

Great advice from the tread about getting a better fuse. Asked for advice from a local fuse dealer and upgrade the fuse for my dCS. Wow, something that is dirt cheap but bought significant improvement from stock. Listening on headphones had a significantly wider sound stage and the depth is better. Generally more 3D and spacious.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,089 of 2,050
IMG_20211022_233244.jpg

Great advice from the tread about getting a better fuse. Asked for advice from a local fuse dealer and upgrade the fuse for my dCS. Wow, something that is dirt cheap but bought significant improvement from stock. Listening on headphones had a significantly wider sound stage and the depth is better. Generally more 3D and spacious.
Nice! I like my fuse enough to order another one for my clock.

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,091 of 2,050
using SR Orange in bartok w/headamp,

tested in both directions

did try a zero fuse before , effect too strong for headphones

5B9ACAF5-D5A1-40C7-BF0F-F432AF6EB751.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #1,092 of 2,050
Recently my power conditioner lightspeed reference mark 3 has arrived, would report back how it paired with dCS.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,093 of 2,050
Recently my power conditioner lightspeed reference mark 3 has arrived, would report back how it paired with dCS.
Interesting, that one also filters RCA and XLR interconnects.

Please report back

Nov 4, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,094 of 2,050
Crap, now I need to look into fuses…damn it. I’ve seen a difference with interconnect cables, power cables and line filters, why not try fuses. So where do you think I should start? With my amp, dac or source?

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,095 of 2,050
Crap, now I need to look into fuses…damn it. I’ve seen a difference with interconnect cables, power cables and line filters, why not try fuses. So where do you think I should start? With my amp, dac or source?
That's a good question, and I'm not sure the best answer. For cables, the amp's power cable is usually the most important in the system, so I would start with the amp. If you buy the fuse from a place where you can return it if you don't like it, then there is no risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back