dCS Bartok
Jul 2, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #901 of 2,064
Can you not do a home demo of the rossini?

I haven't run across any online dealers that do that (there are no brick and mortar high end audio stores where I live, unfortunately)

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #902 of 2,064
I haven't run across any online dealers that do that (there are no brick and mortar high end audio stores where I live, unfortunately)
Time to move, this hobby is more important than friends and family - just joking :)

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #903 of 2,064
I’m so on the fence about getting the Sean Jacobs DC4 power supplies for the DAVE and M-scaler or getting a DCS Rossini and clock instead. I can’t test either out where I’m at, and only one person
Aside from the sound quality, DCS is firmware updatable, in terms of features and (hopefully) even better sound quality down the road. You can control the DAC by the DCS apps, or from Roon Remote directly...on your phone, ipad, etc.
And you don't have to deal with a separate streaming device, or decrapifying USB audio. Instead just use a $20 certified Cat5 or Cat6 network cable.
Barktok is at the beginning of its life, and I think Dave must be closer to the end, although Chord has stated that a replacement is not coming anytime soon.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #904 of 2,064
Aside from the sound quality, DCS is firmware updatable, in terms of features and (hopefully) even better sound quality down the road. You can control the DAC by the DCS apps, or from Roon Remote directly...on your phone, ipad, etc.
And you don't have to deal with a separate streaming device, or decrapifying USB audio. Instead just use a $20 certified Cat5 or Cat6 network cable.
Barktok is at the beginning of its life, and I think Dave must be closer to the end, although Chord has stated that a replacement is not coming anytime soon.
I am hoping new Rossini comes up, with a headphone amp at some point in the future. Would make upgrading much more sensible for me.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #905 of 2,064
I am hoping new Rossini comes up, with a headphone amp at some point in the future. Would make upgrading much more sensible for me.
Honestly, by the time you're playing in that price range, anything but a separate amp seems like a compromise. IMHO, of course.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #906 of 2,064
Honestly, by the time you're playing in that price range, anything but a separate amp seems like a compromise. IMHO, of course.
I agree and that's why I would have both. The constraint I have is that I need one component in the middle that is streamer-dac-amp, all in one, so that I can take it to a different room and listen on "lite" setup for that day, until I bring it back upstairs to the main setup, where I have dedicated amp. I know I am weird for carrying Bartok around the house

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #907 of 2,064
The all-in-one was a major reason I chose Rossini. I consolidated from 3 to 2(Lumin U1+PSU and DSD to Rossini and Clock). The DSD was a FPGA capable of firmware updates. Over the time I owned it several updates noticeably improved the performance of the unit. Unfortunately the hardware had reached the limit of its ability to be updated. The Rossini is a similar in that it too can be updated with new firmware.

My impression is that dCS focuses on updating hardware one model at a time. My impression from the dCS community forums is that Vivaldi is the next model due a hardware update. I was concerned about this very thing in that I was coming from a model that had reached the end it's shelf life. I was assure(FWIW) by my dealer and Americas dCS sales manager that no replacement for the Rossini was under consideration.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #908 of 2,064
I agree and that's why I would have both. The constraint I have is that I need one component in the middle that is streamer-dac-amp, all in one, so that I can take it to a different room and listen on "lite" setup for that day, until I bring it back upstairs to the main setup, where I have dedicated amp. I know I am weird for carrying Bartok around the house
Others use DAPs until they return to the main setup, you carry a Bartok.
Nobody judging here

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #909 of 2,064
You need a 2nd bartok then you won't need to carry it or buy a Rossini and use bartok in other setup :wink:

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #910 of 2,064
Surely a dealer in a different state would be willing to ship you a rossini?

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #911 of 2,064
You need a 2nd bartok then you won't need to carry it or buy a Rossini and use bartok in other setup :wink:
Yeah a Bartok for every room

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #912 of 2,064
Jul 2, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #913 of 2,064
Does Bartok have attachments for a treadmill?:floatsmile:

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #914 of 2,064
In my experience I would not describe the DCS sound as "romantic" at all. In my ears the Dave and MDave are more on the clinical/sterile/accurate side of the spectrum. The Rossini has even more detail, and everything else, but the tonal balance is a bit warmer. I think it is still very neutral.
I'm glad you posted that because these subjective terms can get slippery. It really is a matter of semantics right. If, in your system (speakers/phones esp.), you find Dave clinical/sterile dCS is going to sound neutral/correct. If you hear Dave as neutral then dCS is going to sound... what? I agree "romantic" can be a misleading term for DACs that are so clear and detailed as the dCS line. Would you accept the terms, "full," "lush"?

I frequently hear the term, "dreamy" applied to the dCS sound, but I know you will say that is describing the subjective effect more than the sonic qualities of dCS. And, you are right. I would qualify my use of the word "romantic" in the same way. I don't mean that its sound is diffuse or imprecise, but that it puts your brain into a relaxed alpha wave state. You may also disagree with the word "euphoric" applied to dCS, but I think their DACs do induce a state of euphoria–in a way that Chord wakes you up.

Semantics, again. But, I don't think it's–just–semantics. I think it goes right to the heart of the question for the OP. If you absolutely can't audition, you know your preferences in audio at this point. If music for you is something that bathes you in comfort or braces you with dynamic transports to other realms, yeah, dCS takes you "there." If music for you is something that refreshes you with sparkling clarity where the performers appear in your room, Dave brings it here.

Without question, both can do both, but that is a fundamental difference, at least to my ears, between the houses of dCS and Chord. Also, in line with the OP, at no point, am I referring to stock Dave+Mscaler. I would have switched to dCS myself if that were my only option. The question is regarding a Dave-system, which also presents another significant factor. I've said this on the Dave thread, if you just want to purchase units and enjoy, in my opinion, dCS is the route to go. If part of the enjoyment of audio for you is trying to discern which RAM chip sounds better in your custom server, then Dave presents something of a platform of choice to build upon. Cost then, unfortunately, becomes nondeterminative as you end up spending similar amounts.

I know I am weird for carrying Bartok around the house
Not "weird" so much as really strong. It's especially impressive because audiophiles, as a group, are not really known for their upper body strength.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #915 of 2,064
Not "weird" so much as really strong. It's especially impressive because audiophiles, as a group, are not really known for their upper body strength.
Fair point, haha. I asked Sennheiser dealer today if I could lift HE-1 to see if it is "transportable" and he agreed, haha. Reason for strength is young-ish age and the fact that I have a squat rack in my listening room, as can be seen on the pics I took of AB-1266 with my Bartok, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back