dCS Bartok
Jun 6, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #858 of 2,050
Have been enjoying Bartók for the last 2 weeks now, really liking it with AB-1266. So much so, that I keep carrying it around the house, depending on where I want to listen from, haha. Considering now what would be a next logical upgrade - Rossini clock. I read dCS community forums and everyone seems to think, it is better to save up and just upgrade to Rossini DAC directly. I can imagine that being true, but then one needs to consider the cost of a separate AMP, that would be on the same level. I am very OCD/FOMO, so I wouldn't want to pair Rossini with something like HPA or Luxman (nothing wrong with them), but would try to pair it with WA33 JPS Elite Edition with upgraded tubes. But that is a significant sum of money, so trying to avoid that, if you know what I mean.

Bartók owners - how do you feel about adding Rossini clock to your one all-in-all setup. Is Bartók that bad of an amplifier that you first needed to "fix it" by buying an external "proper" amplifier, or are you satisfied enough with what Bartók offers and rather added a Rossini Clock? I know how an underpowered amplifier sounds (used to own Hugo 2, which was underpowered for Diana V2, until I got an external amp or upgraded to Hugo TT2). I do not feel this way about Bartók, which even though only provides up to 2.8 W, seems to drive AB-1266 more authoritatively than TT2's rear XLR (up to 6 W). So I know power is not everything. I guess I just wish dCS would release Rossini with a headphone amp, so that my decision would be easier, haha. Really liking having one all-in-one machine, but with Rossini Clock I won't get that anymore.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #859 of 2,050
Considering now what would be a next logical upgrade - Rossini clock.
Well, I just auditioned the Rossini clock very quickly yesterday (1 song only, since I was walking by a stereo shop and had a later appointment). The main thing the clock adds is dynamics. You can turn the clock on and off with the push of a button and immediately hear the difference. Without the clock the music sounds more flat, a bit dead. Also some detail is lost. Is that worth $8k? Non-audiophiles would say no, of course, but I want one. Honestly, I almost wish I didn't hear a difference. Crazy hobby that we have.

As for spending priorities, I wonder if you could get as much improvement by spending the same amount on a separate HP amp. Decisions, decisions.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #860 of 2,050
Very accurate description of the effect the Clock has. I tried turning off once and decided I did not try that experiment any more. The Clock was worth it. I got my Clock for 6.5K but then I bought the Rossini at the same time.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #861 of 2,050
Very accurate description of the effect the Clock has. I tried turning off once and decided I did not try that experiment any more. The Clock was worth it. I got my Clock for 6.5K but then I bought the Rossini at the same time.
You pretty much run the setup @mammal is thinking about.
Rossini + Clock + Wa33EE

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #862 of 2,050
In my experience, the clock adds focus and 'rounds' up the tone of the dac. Things you yet don't know needs 'fixing'.

IMHO, The TC can definitely use some of these ' corrections'

In case of dCS it's always better to move up the platform but the amp conundrum in your case adds to the complexity and additional expense.

FOMO led me to buy only the Vivaldi Dac to start with where I could have just bought the Rossini and clock for similar price and be very very happy.

Within 6 months I 'had' to add the vivaldi clock and upsampler.

FOMO is very expensive 😀

Disclaimer- I have never heard the Bartok. My experiences are based on demo of Rossini and clock for over a month and currently i own the Vivaldi stack.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #863 of 2,050
Thank you everyone for sharing your opinion. I think I should be able to demo a clock, the issue is that I don't have an opportunity to demo WA33 (neither edition) so making the decision between Bartok + clock vs Rossini + amp is just not possible. Most likely I will end up owning it all, but trying to slow down the process as much as I can, haha.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #864 of 2,050
Most likely I will end up owning it all, but trying to slow down the process as much as I can, hah
I feel ya.
This is indeed the most likely outcome if you continue visiting head-fi.

Try to slow it down whenever possible, but keep in mind that "step by step" journeys usually end up more expensive than rarer but bigger jumps

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #865 of 2,050
So my black Bartók arrived today, so happy with the purchase. Have been using the loaner for 3 weeks now, surprised a new unit sounds like a well burned in one.

IMG-4910.jpg

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #866 of 2,050
So my black Bartók arrived today, so happy with the purchase. Have been using the loaner for 3 weeks now, surprised a new unit sounds like a well burned in one.

IMG-4910.jpg
Looks gorgeous in black

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #868 of 2,050
Have been enjoying Bartók for the last 2 weeks now, really liking it with AB-1266. So much so, that I keep carrying it around the house, depending on where I want to listen from, haha. Considering now what would be a next logical upgrade - Rossini clock. I read dCS community forums and everyone seems to think, it is better to save up and just upgrade to Rossini DAC directly. I can imagine that being true, but then one needs to consider the cost of a separate AMP, that would be on the same level. I am very OCD/FOMO, so I wouldn't want to pair Rossini with something like HPA or Luxman (nothing wrong with them), but would try to pair it with WA33 JPS Elite Edition with upgraded tubes. But that is a significant sum of money, so trying to avoid that, if you know what I mean.

Bartók owners - how do you feel about adding Rossini clock to your one all-in-all setup. Is Bartók that bad of an amplifier that you first needed to "fix it" by buying an external "proper" amplifier, or are you satisfied enough with what Bartók offers and rather added a Rossini Clock? I know how an underpowered amplifier sounds (used to own Hugo 2, which was underpowered for Diana V2, until I got an external amp or upgraded to Hugo TT2). I do not feel this way about Bartók, which even though only provides up to 2.8 W, seems to drive AB-1266 more authoritatively than TT2's rear XLR (up to 6 W). So I know power is not everything. I guess I just wish dCS would release Rossini with a headphone amp, so that my decision would be easier, haha. Really liking having one all-in-one machine, but with Rossini Clock I won't get that anymore.

Appreciate your thoughts!
If I was in your position and owned a bartok I would experiment with headphone amps and try the rossini clock but as you said, trying a WA33 is near impossible to demo in Europe. I'm dying to try one as well

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #869 of 2,050
If I was in your position and owned a bartok I would experiment with headphone amps and try the rossini clock but as you said, trying a WA33 is near impossible to demo in Europe. I'm dying to try one as well
YEah I know! I am trying to convince my dealer to get me at least the WA33 Abyss offers (standard, upgraded tubes, JPS edition). THat way, I would at least have a local support and warranty and maybe that would allow me to resale if I did not like it.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #870 of 2,050
I don’t know which I like better, the Bartok or the Pineapple lamp!

Looks awesome!
THank you kind sir, haha. I must say, the pineapple lamp improves the sonic characteristics of Bartok by at least 20%, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back