dCS Bartok
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #407 of 2,036
Jun 28, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #408 of 2,036
Next step up from Bartok is eye watering expensive. There also isnt much else that this price point that does the same job in one unit... Its an amazing piece of kit and sounds extremely good with both my headphones. The amp section is better than the one in the DAVE; which i heard first hand from a DAVE owner who brought round his Audeze's to use on my Bartok. I have spent time with the DAVE and its another fantastic piece of kit. Cant go wrong with either of them tbh.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #409 of 2,036
Next step up from Bartok is eye watering expensive. There also isnt much else that this price point that does the same job in one unit... Its an amazing piece of kit and sounds extremely good with both my headphones. The amp section is better than the one in the DAVE; which i heard first hand from a DAVE owner who brought round his Audeze's to use on my Bartok. I have spent time with the DAVE and its another fantastic piece of kit. Cant go wrong with either of them tbh.
Wondering if all the talk of bartok beating Dave has to do with the Dave amp being underpowered.... if Dave had the TT2 amp maby this would be closer?

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #410 of 2,036
Wondering if all the talk of bartok beating Dave has to do with the Dave amp being underpowered.... if Dave had the TT2 amp maby this would be closer?

I have compared the Dave, bartok, and MSB premire with the formula s and trafomatic Primavera and to my ears and the other people there preferred the Bartok to the dave. The bartok to my ears betters the Dave with speakers too. All of the comparison was done using them as pure dacs.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #411 of 2,036
I've been DAC shopping recently and there's hardly any discount available on the Bartok.
This is not the case with the Dave there are some very generous trade in allowance and cash buyer discounts being offered at the moment if your prepared to shop around and do a bit of haggling here in the UK.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #412 of 2,036
I've been DAC shopping recently and there's hardly any discount available on the Bartok.
This is not the case with the Dave there are some very generous trade in allowance and cash buyer discounts being offered at the moment if your prepared to shop around and do a bit of haggling here in the UK.

When I got my bartok i was able to get a discount that basically took away the tax. They are in demand and therefore i don’t think that there is much in the way of discounts right now.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #413 of 2,036
I'm still very interested in the Bartok it has some features that would be very convenient for me as a Roon user that the Dave doesn't. Hopefully I will be able to arrange a home demo later in the year to compare with the Dave side by side.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #414 of 2,036

There are only 3 flagship headphones that I would recommend a separate (and powerful) amplifier to add to the DAVE: Phi TC, Susvara and LCD-4 (NOT LCD-4z...they can be easily driven by the Hugo 2. After that, I can't think of another flagship worthy headphone (except for e-stats :p) that the DAVE isn't more than capable of driving fully. And if you invest in that amplifier like the Benchmark HPA4 or HeadAmp GS-X mini with only those headphones, boy you are in for a wild sonic ride! I don't have too much time with the Bartok, so I'll refrain from any comparisons, but I was very impressed with what I heard.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #415 of 2,036
There are only 3 flagship headphones that I would recommend a separate (and powerful) amplifier to add to the DAVE: Phi TC, Susvara and LCD-4 (NOT LCD-4z...they can be easily driven by the Hugo 2. After that, I can't think of another flagship worthy headphone (except for e-stats :p) that the DAVE isn't more than capable of driving fully. And if you invest in that amplifier like the Benchmark HPA4 or HeadAmp GS-X mini with only those headphones, boy you are in for a wild sonic ride! I don't have too much time with the Bartok, so I'll refrain from any comparisons, but I was very impressed with what I heard.

The Abyss is the reason I bought the Bartok without the amp. It can drive the abyss but not as well as the formula s does. I still can't shake the sound of the Abyss, susvara, and lcd 4 with the trafomatic Primavera. I would sell my speakers to be able to have that amp but then I would regret selling the speakers.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #416 of 2,036
Not true 4z can be driven by H2 and M15 but entirely different level via tt2 amp

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #417 of 2,036
Not true 4z can be driven by H2 and M15 but entirely different level via tt2 amp

So very true. :wink: Power wise...totally fine. No one was making a comparison to another unit, I was speaking in absolute terms of power on hand. That said, the DAVE puts them on a level above the TT2, but that was not my point. The difference you're noting has more to do with the DAC portion than power requirements (which was my point) as the LCD-4z is very efficient. Finally, the Hugo 2 is a wonderful source for the LCD-4z and beat many desktop setups I've heard/reviewed through the years...that's why I still own mine along with the DAVE....but unlike the DAVE, I can take my Hugo 2 with me on the go.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #418 of 2,036
I demoed the Bartok twice, the last time at CanJam NY 2020. I also was able to spend a significant amount of time at the Chord booth speaking with Rob and demoing the TT2 and DAVE. I demoed Chord as well at CanJam 2019. I was impressed enough with the Bartok to order the HA version and it was delivered right before the Covid lockdown at the end of March.

I approached the Bartok from a different point of view as my main listening is two channel via top of the line Naim separates with Linn sources (in my profile). Headphone listening has always been done with my Linn Digital Klimax DS which is considered one of the top digital players in 2 channel land together with dCS as well as a few others. After 1 month of using the Bartok I was so impressed with its performance that I telephoned my dealer and arranged to exchange it for the dCS Rossini + Clock. The Bartok was effectively a 88 vs my Linn Klimax DS scored at 100. Please keep in mind that the non HA version of the Bartok is $13k while my Linn is $24k. In other words I found the Bartok to be an absolute GIANT KILLER for the price. I was so enamored with what dCS did at this price point that I could not help but wonder what the Rossini could do in my 2 channel system. I can say that after 1 month using a Rossini it has easily vanquished my Linn (which is now doing headphone DAC duties) and it rightfully deserves its status as one of the best digital players available today.

As strange as it sounds the Bartok is a bargain when considering what it is capable of doing. An impeccably built and manufactured all in one box, beefy toroidal power supply, fully ROON certified, ethernet feed available instead of compromised USB, and an incredible headphone amplifier to boot. The DAVE looks like a toy in comparison imho. And the prices are effectively the same.

I believe dCS hit it out of the park with their first effort at building a headphone amplifier. It is extremely impressive. That being said there is more to extract from the Bartok. Imho the internal headphone amplifier is a limiting factor and holds back the additional resolution and performance the Bartok is capable of providing. I bypassed the internal headphone amp and used my HeadAmp GSX Mini. With this combination even MORE performance is made available. The Bartok then jumped from a 88 to a 95 in performance only bested by my Linn's 100. Thus my reason and temptation to try the Rossini.

Based on conversations here in the States and with my Naim friends in the UK the Bartok has been a massive success for dCS. This explains the wait and lack of discounting.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering a Bartok purchase. Headphones used were Utopia's and Sony Z1R's (both with Axios cables balanced) and an old pair of Grado RS1 purchased from back in my initial HeadFi days 2003-2005.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #419 of 2,036
Mhm still very interested in the Bartók. Not much input in this thread, although it can mean that Bartók owners just finally listen to music instead of lurking in audio forums for better gear.

This is my current setup:

yes indeed

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #420 of 2,036
I demoed the Bartok twice, the last time at CanJam NY 2020. I also was able to spend a significant amount of time at the Chord booth speaking with Rob and demoing the TT2 and DAVE. I demoed Chord as well at CanJam 2019. I was impressed enough with the Bartok to order the HA version and it was delivered right before the Covid lockdown at the end of March.

I approached the Bartok from a different point of view as my main listening is two channel via top of the line Naim separates with Linn sources (in my profile). Headphone listening has always been done with my Linn Digital Klimax DS which is considered one of the top digital players in 2 channel land together with dCS as well as a few others. After 1 month of using the Bartok I was so impressed with its performance that I telephoned my dealer and arranged to exchange it for the dCS Rossini + Clock. The Bartok was effectively a 88 vs my Linn Klimax DS scored at 100. Please keep in mind that the non HA version of the Bartok is $13k while my Linn is $24k. In other words I found the Bartok to be an absolute GIANT KILLER for the price. I was so enamored with what dCS did at this price point that I could not help but wonder what the Rossini could do in my 2 channel system. I can say that after 1 month using a Rossini it has easily vanquished my Linn (which is now doing headphone DAC duties) and it rightfully deserves its status as one of the best digital players available today.

As strange as it sounds the Bartok is a bargain when considering what it is capable of doing. An impeccably built and manufactured all in one box, beefy toroidal power supply, fully ROON certified, ethernet feed available instead of compromised USB, and an incredible headphone amplifier to boot. The DAVE looks like a toy in comparison imho. And the prices are effectively the same.

I believe dCS hit it out of the park with their first effort at building a headphone amplifier. It is extremely impressive. That being said there is more to extract from the Bartok. Imho the internal headphone amplifier is a limiting factor and holds back the additional resolution and performance the Bartok is capable of providing. I bypassed the internal headphone amp and used my HeadAmp GSX Mini. With this combination even MORE performance is made available. The Bartok then jumped from a 88 to a 95 in performance only bested by my Linn's 100. Thus my reason and temptation to try the Rossini.

Based on conversations here in the States and with my Naim friends in the UK the Bartok has been a massive success for dCS. This explains the wait and lack of discounting.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering a Bartok purchase. Headphones used were Utopia's and Sony Z1R's (both with Axios cables balanced) and an old pair of Grado RS1 purchased from back in my initial HeadFi days 2003-2005.

I A/Bed the Mini with the GSX MK2 and found the mini sounding compressed in comparison. I just can’t find the mini being worthy alongside with the Bartok. I would certainly pair the with the GSX MK2 at the very least and for tubes, Audiovalve Solaris amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back