dCS Bartok
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,846 of 2,046
Home trial complete.
Short version: these puppies are not going back to the dealer :beerchug:

Long version in due time, after some burn-in (both the gear - which was just pulled out of the box - and (or?) my brain accomodation to it are evolving on a daily basis yet).

A bit emotional seeing the DAVE go away, it has given me thousands of hours of pleasure over almost 6 years, and it is still a wonderful machine, but life is change, no?

rossini-in-the-house.jpeg

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,847 of 2,046
Home trial complete.

Long version in due time, after some burn-in (both the gear - which was just pulled out of the box - and (or?) my brain accomodation to it are evolving on a daily basis yet).

A bit emotional seeing the DAVE go away, it has given me thousands of hours of pleasure over almost 6 years, and it is still a wonderful machine, but life is change, no?

rossini-in-the-house.jpeg
Gz! can't wait to read your impressions.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,848 of 2,046
Home trial complete.

Beautiful, congrats.

Now some impressions please. This is the dac I'm aiming for as well :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,850 of 2,046
Home trial complete.

Great Simone, congratulations on your purchase! :clap:

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,851 of 2,046
Well, maybe not until the Vivaldi stack arrives...:wink:

Beautiful system, congratulations! Hope you have many hours of listening pleasure.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,852 of 2,046
Curious if anyone has done a straight comparison between the Lina DAC and the Bartok 2.0 - there is about $2000 difference between them used, I’m trying to decide which to get. My thought is that perhaps the Lina would only be competitive with the Bartok once you add the clock, which would be substantially more money. Plus, I can use the Bartok as a preamp. Would appreciate any thoughts from someone who has good experience with both units (as a DAC, not as a headphone amp) Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,853 of 2,046
Curious if anyone has done a straight comparison between the Lina DAC and the Bartok 2.0 - there is about $2000 difference between them used, I’m trying to decide which to get. My thought is that perhaps the Lina would only be competitive with the Bartok once you add the clock, which would be substantially more money. Plus, I can use the Bartok as a preamp. Would appreciate any thoughts from someone who has good experience with both units (as a DAC, not as a headphone amp) Thank you!
In terms of straight D/A conversion (so headphone amplification aside), the Bartók 2.0 definitely has the edge. That is true even with the pre-APEX Bartók (which I am assuming this is if it is on the 2nd hand market currently). An APEX upgrade on the Bartók, particularly if using an external headphone amp via the line outputs, widens that gap further.

Plus, you can always look to add a clock to the Bartók at a later date (Lina, Rossini...) should you want :)

dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com
Mar 10, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,854 of 2,046
In terms of straight D/A conversion (so headphone amplification aside), the Bartók 2.0 definitely has the edge. That is true even with the pre-APEX Bartók (which I am assuming this is if it is on the 2nd hand market currently). An APEX upgrade on the Bartók, particularly if using an external headphone amp via the line outputs, widens that gap further.

Plus, you can always look to add a clock to the Bartók at a later date (Lina, Rossini...) should you want :)
Thank you!!!! And yes, used 2.0

Mar 10, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,855 of 2,046

What difference would one expect between
Bartok + Lina Clock
Ans
Bartok + Rossini Clock?

Mar 10, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #1,856 of 2,046
What difference would one expect between
Bartok + Lina Clock
Ans
Bartok + Rossini Clock?
Rossini Clock will give better performance than Lina Clock. Same again for Vivaldi Clock, and we do have customers who have paired the Vivaldi Clock with the Bartók. To try and contextualise the difference, Bartók < Bartók + Lina Clock < Bartók + Rossini Clock < Rossini DAC with no master clock.

There are a few reasons for the difference in Clock performance. Firstly, the Lina Clock uses an OCXO for the 22MHz oscillator (for 44.1k) and a VCXO slaved to that for the 24MHz oscillator (for 48k). It can then stabilise temperature variations with the heating element on the OCXO. The Rossini Clock uses two VCXOs for both, with a much more complex method for stabilising the crystal temperature variations. We put the Rossini Clock board (and the Vivaldi Clock board) in an environmental chamber during production, where we measure the exact performance of the clock crystals on that individual board against a variety of temperatures, mapping the performance (oscillator frequency) at each stage. The unit then has a record of how the crystals behave at different temperatures stored in its FPGA, so as the temperature of the overall unit varies during playback the control voltage fed to the VCXO can be adjusted to ensure the output frequency of the oscillators is stable. It is a significantly more complex process, but it does yield really good results.

The Clock Dither feature is another reason for the performance increase on the Rossini Clock - I wrote a bit about this here.

dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com
Mar 10, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,857 of 2,046
Rossini Clock will give better performance than Lina Clock. Same again for Vivaldi Clock, and we do have customers who have paired the Vivaldi Clock with the Bartók. To try and contextualise the difference, Bartók < Bartók + Lina Clock < Bartók + Rossini Clock < Rossini DAC with no master clock.

There are a few reasons for the difference in Clock performance. Firstly, the Lina Clock uses an OCXO for the 22MHz oscillator (for 44.1k) and a VCXO slaved to that for the 24MHz oscillator (for 48k). It can then stabilise temperature variations with the heating element on the OCXO. The Rossini Clock uses two VCXOs for both, with a much more complex method for stabilising the crystal temperature variations. We put the Rossini Clock board (and the Vivaldi Clock board) in an environmental chamber during production, where we measure the exact performance of the clock crystals on that individual board against a variety of temperatures, mapping the performance (oscillator frequency) at each stage. The unit then has a record of how the crystals behave at different temperatures stored in its FPGA, so as the temperature of the overall unit varies during playback the control voltage fed to the VCXO can be adjusted to ensure the output frequency of the oscillators is stable. It is a significantly more complex process, but it does yield really good results.

The Clock Dither feature is another reason for the performance increase on the Rossini Clock - I wrote a bit about this here.
Thank you for the elaborate answer

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,858 of 2,046

Hey James,

I ranted here earlier a bit on what a huge improvement the Isotek Genesis one power regenerator is when used on the clock (I'll keep A/B-ing as usual to make sure i'm not crazy lol).
Granted, I have bad power and conditioners made a big improvement on all my Hi-Fi. I hesitated to even try it for a few months due to the manual recommending against it.
Is a more robust power solution one of the upgrades the Vivaldi clock has over the Rossini clock? Just like Bartok/ Rossini?

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,859 of 2,046
I just ordered a Lina dac last night and after reading this thread I’m starting to think I may have made a mistake and saved up a little longer. I hate buyers remorse…

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,860 of 2,046
I just ordered a Lina dac last night and after reading this thread I’m starting to think I may have made a mistake and saved up a little longer. I hate buyers remorse…
I've never heard the Bartok, but I know plenty of people that sold it for Lina(I guess buyer's remorse hit them when Apex came out for Bartok). I also loved the Lina with the clock added. A lot of people report Bartok being "too smooth".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back