dCS Bartok
Dec 13, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #1,712 of 2,046
The black looks good. Please take some more pics.
615E5994-BA08-4277-8C73-C5B6C194748C.jpeg

Attachments

• F90B655A-35A1-4D96-ABAB-CEDBE1233725.jpeg
    F90B655A-35A1-4D96-ABAB-CEDBE1233725.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 66E350B9-5CB0-48B0-AE80-1CF2FE856BEF.jpeg
    66E350B9-5CB0-48B0-AE80-1CF2FE856BEF.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #1,716 of 2,046
Really nice. What is on the top of the rack? Tks.
It's a Linn Klimax Organik from what I can tell. Auditioned it at a different place, didn't like it much more than my Dave, though it was clearly better. I find the Rossini in a different league to both though.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,718 of 2,046
As I have been lusting over a Rossini for some time, any reason you did not get the player version vs the DAC only version? Are there any concerns with the player version? Tks.
Well I got an ex demo, but there was also a player available from another dealer. I considered getting that but upon checking the S/N, the dealer had lied about the age, 5 years vs 2, and it had already been repaired once. I assume the loading mechanism. I was never going to play cd's and I like the look of the dac a lot more.
I decided to wait for a few weeks and came across a great deal for this one. Thankfully, also in black. To match the incoming Hm1

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,719 of 2,046
It's a Linn Klimax Organik from what I can tell. Auditioned it at a different place, didn't like it much more than my Dave, though it was clearly better. I find the Rossini in a different league to both though.
Would you mind elaborating your observations on what sonic characters/differences are there between Linn Organik and Rossini? I am very curious on the Organik but had no place to audit one. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,720 of 2,046
Would you mind elaborating your observations on what sonic characters/differences are there between Linn Organik and Rossini? I am very curious on the Organik but had no place to audit one. Thanks!
This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Tested for like 3 hours at the shop with my own stuff. I don't think you missed much.
I a/b'd it vs my Dave, I just got the Rossini (non-Apex). It was about as sterile sounding as Dave imo. Resolution was better, timbre was very slightly better from my initial impressions, bass wasn't as deep. Soundstage was wider but flater on the Linn. Both on headphones and Speakers.

I could've gotten the Selekt DSM with dual mono Organik and a better psu for almost 3x less than the Klimax (same dac) and a lot less than the Rossini, but I just didn't find it a worthwhile upgrade to Dave. I eventually got frustrated A/B-ing for subtle differences.

The Rossini (really needs the clock), in contrast, makes Dave hard to listen to. Granted, differences are small but there are so many that it adds up fast.
Biggest upgrades over both are tonal richness, much better separation, microdetail and PRAT. Soundstage is also considerably deeper, especially compared to the Linn (since I still have Dave I'm using that as a measuring stick.

The best trick dCS has though, is that everything is so varied from track to track. Dave might sound wider at times or have more slam, but with the Rossini there is so much more variation from track to track. They sounded (hate the cliche) a lot more artificial. Switching back and forth, it feels like Dave is missing the beginning and end of each note. As did the Linn. Voices especially are incredible on the Rossini in comparison. Not "sweet" or anything. Just incredibly real and detailed. I'm literally hearing lyrics I never made out. And I listen to the same tracks obsessively.
None of the magic with the Linn. However, take away the clock and the Rossini gets knocked down considerably, especially in clarity. If you're considering the Linn, I'd go with the Selekt dual mono for a considerable saving. If you want to go all in, hard to imagine you'd be disappointed by the Rossini. I bought it unheard after auditioning the Lina stack. Didn't expect this chasm of performance, even though I did read about it.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #1,721 of 2,046
This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Tested for like 3 hours at the shop with my own stuff. I don't think you missed much.
I a/b'd it vs my Dave, I just got the Rossini (non-Apex). It was about as sterile sounding as Dave imo. Resolution was better, timbre was very slightly better from my initial impressions, bass wasn't as deep. Soundstage was wider but flater on the Linn. Both on headphones and Speakers.
The issue for you now is that by quite a few reports the Apex upgrade exceeds the Clock - the rumoured changes to the output stage have supposedly made a huge (yeah it's probably small gains) difference. So I'm sure you're going to be very tempted, and unfortunately the price of the upgrade is due to increase. However in the meantime I'm pretty sure you're going to be VERY happy.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,723 of 2,046
The issue for you now is that by quite a few reports the Apex upgrade exceeds the Clock - the rumoured changes to the output stage have supposedly made a huge (yeah it's probably small gains) difference. So I'm sure you're going to be very tempted, and unfortunately the price of the upgrade is due to increase. However in the meantime I'm pretty sure you're going to be VERY happy.
Well that's the kind of problem you want :) I got a really good deal on the package. So much so that it made the clock almost free. I'm sure Apex is a big upgrade, but coming from Dave's extreme clarity, I knew any dCS dac without a clock would feel like a slight downgrade. While the Rossini is a big step up from the Lina, adding to clock to the Lina compensated for a lot. On the Rossini, even more so. Soundstage just explodes. Amongst other things.
Not sure if the price really is set to increase soon, but I know for a fact a lot of people are still waiting for their Apex upgrade, and with such a big wait time, feels a bit unfair to tax people because dCS can't keep up.
Either way, my next upgrade is coming in March, the Zahl HM1 amp, and I expect it to be a bigger upgrade than even the Rossini. Will see about Apex much later :)

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,724 of 2,046
Not that I'm in the market for either, but curious to understand how people would compare the Bartok to the Mola Mola Tambaqui - anyone here have experience of both?
Both are aspirational for me and while I'm still dreaming I'd love to hear any insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back