DC meet
Mar 9, 2003 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Thanks to everyone for coming!

I'm exhausted, so my comments are going to appear as paragraphs here and there. As soon as I finish cleanup I'll post some pics.

Preliminary:

The meet got off to a bad start yesterday. On Wednesday, I had called Headroom to find out where the equipment they were sending was. Unfortunately, the person who was handling it no longer works there, and the ball had been dropped. Todd grabbed it, and had a shipment out by Fedex on Thursday, for Friday delivery...but it never showed. Todd's frantic phone call's determined that it had been stuck in Memphis due to weather. He was going to try and have it delivered today...but luck wasn't with us. No Headroom gear. Then Antness posted that he wouldn't be able to come. No Gilmore. So, we had to make do with the paltry amount of gear that was left...

to be continued

Mar 9, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 34
Paltry?! Hirsch, man, you've got more than enough gear that no meet at your place could ever be considered to have a 'paltry' amount of gear...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 34
It was really sad. Basically it was Hirsch telling us what it would have sounded like if we had any gear. His descriptions were detailed and articulate, but lacking in smoothness.

Mar 9, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The meet got off to a bad start yesterday. On Wednesday, I had called Headroom to find out where the equipment they were sending was. Unfortunately, the person who was handling it no longer works there, and the ball had been dropped. Todd grabbed it, and had a shipment out by Fedex on Thursday, for Friday delivery...but it never showed. Todd's frantic phone call's determined that it had been stuck in Memphis due to weather. He was going to try and have it delivered today...but luck wasn't with us. No Headroom gear. Then Antness posted that he wouldn't be able to come. No Gilmore. So, we had to make do with the paltry amount of gear that was left...

Hirsch,

Man... Headroom equipment or not.. I would have loved to be there, if not only to hear your equipment. You've got all the stuff I'm coveting [or at the very least, want to listen/compare..
biggrin.gif
].. RKV, ZOTL, HP-1, etc..

I'm sure all the D.C.'ers all had fun at your meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way.. what was Todd/Headroom sending that was en route?

Mar 9, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 34
We started off missing the Max, Cosmic, Total Airhead, Gilmore, and a bunch of headphones. Still, we managed to find something to listen to besides me.

A Head-Fi'er listens to some of the good stuff. Source is Creek CD53, connected with Virtual Dynamic Nites to Supra amp, and via balanced Cardas Golden Reference to EAR HP4. All power via VD Nites. The wooden headphone is by Sony...

meet41.jpg

mkmelt brought a vintage Dynaco amp and a vintage Marantz. The headphone output of the Marantz is seriously good.

meet42.jpg

mkmelt also brought his big Variac by. This one is rated at 20 amps.

meet43.jpg

The ZOTL was driven by an NEC CD-ROm drive into an ART DI/O. There was a moment of drama when one of my DI/O's decided to stop working. In it's full glory, it's a completely absurd source. NEC drive into Monarchy DIP, into GW Labs DSP, into ART DI/O 1 into ART DI/O 2. Analog outputs are at the drive itself, and out of each DI/O. Alas, it picked today to stop working. However, the drive itself makes a nice player and transport.

meet44.jpg

BDA_ABAT's first DIY project...and it's a major winner. If everything he builds sounds as good as this MAD EAR+, he's got it made.

meet45.jpg

The portables table. I'll leave it to your keen eyes to spot the amps and players.

meet46.jpg

In the next room, my Sony DVP-S9000ES drives the Fisher 400 and AudioValve RKV. To the far right is the Shure SA-1. I don't think I ever even plugged that in.

meet47.jpg

The Melos challenge. Both SHA-1's are hooked to the Sony NS500V with the same interconnects, tubes, and even headphones (HD-600 with Cardas cable). One is stock, and the other has received the carlo mods...but I didn't tell anyone which was which until after they had listened and decided which they liked. Perhaps we'll see some impressions posted...

meet48.jpg

I did demonstrate my portable setup for the group...Denon PCDP, Fixup Supermini, and AKG K-1000.
evil_smiley.gif

meet49.jpg

Mar 9, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 34
I need to get my hands on a DCP-150...
biggrin.gif

heh.. that's a lot of great equipment.. to have been there to A/B the Melos' would have been cool.. Anyone who compared the two, can you offer any impressions?

... oh.. and not only were the HP-1's and what not there.. but the King was there.. the KING! .. All hail.. uh.. Hirsch.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 34
I read somewhere about those NEC drives...

Hmm... I have a Philips drive that has a play button... could be tempted to play around....

Damnit Hirsch, why'd ya have to take a picture of someone wearing the R10s... just as I was getting over the cold turkey of thinking about them....
frown.gif

lol! I look forward to the impressions of yourself and everyone else who attended
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 34
Well, at least you know that some guy that works for FedEx, on some uninhabited island, is enjoying the Headroom gear.. should pass some time.

I really dig the looks of that candy blue tube amp. Man, that belongs in a 1970s sci-fi movie.

Mar 9, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 34
A BIG THANK YOU to Hirsch for hosting another stellar event! As you can tell, Hirsch is the keeper of all things good and headphone related.

Frankly, I'm still trying to process all that was there. Never got a chance to try everything... would have taken days to get to every piece of gear! Couple quick impressions (in no particular order) from a sleep addled brain.

Really like the R10 -> Supra -> Creek.... REALLY like! Female vocals are just to die for. I'm sure Norah Jones could sound better, but probably only if she was actually in the room, standing right in front of me.

Dang, that SuperMini CAN power the AKG 1000! (And, who says AKG 1000 don't have bass???)

Speaking of cool portables, META42 is a pretty incredible little amp. Although there was no Cosmic there to do a direct comparisson, that they could be mentioned in the same breath is saying something about the design of the META (BTW: Tangent built META but whose specs I do not have... Dave1???).

MELOS vs modded MELOS using smurfed HD 600s: a.) Can't listen to my impressions... my ears are not Golden. b.) The Melos is a lovely amp, even in it's stock form. c.) Was difficult for me to discern big differences between the two.

Synergy: think I'm finally getting it. Some equipment just seems to work better with some equipment than others. There is no one headphone that's better than another. There is no one amp that is better than another. All depends on how those systems are put together AND what mood you're in and what you're listening to.

HeadFiers are a remarkable group of people. Everyone was very nice, everyone brought gear, even if they didn't have much, everyone shared their knowledge and experience in a way that was extremely positive. mkmelt spent a good deal of time talking to a fairly new guy named Scott. Sorta providing the Headphones 101 session. Talk about a crash course! Dave1 had some lovely photos (he's showing in DC for those that are interested). Nadeem came from Valley Forge, PA and was the person from second furthest away! One HeadFi-er was from Massachusetts (in Baltimore to visit family) and decided to come along.

Thanks to all who added to the nuttiness with their equipment, knowledge, and enthusiasm. What a blast!

Bruce

Mar 9, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 34
W1000: A great offering by AT that actually seems to get the critical area in the midrange better than the W2002 (although it's long enough since I had W2002 that my opinion should not be taken all that seriously about it). The W1000 was good, but not great, with the tube amps I tried, but seemed to lock into focus on Grado HPA-1. AT Headphones seem to thrive on solid state...something I'm lacking a lot of these days. Still, I think the W1000 is as good or better than any other AT headphone I've heard (I've owned W2002, W100, and A100Ti).

Grado SR-80: A truly pleasant suprise. Yes, the bigger Grado's provide more information and get a bit deeper in...but not by all that much. This was loads of fun to listen to on the portable table.

JMT CHA47: This is the first JMT-built amp I've heard, but it won't the last. I was seriously impressed with the sound, even with the Supermini and Meta's present. There's something very right with this particular circuit. My wallet starts to throb when a component hits me this way.

Tangent META: I'm picking out the Tangent because it was the first one I heard, and I'm not sure I remember the provenance of the others. This is as clean a portable amp as I've heard. It's a very different sound than the HPA-1, my favorite battery powered amp. However, I'm starting to appreciate the form factor of the smaller amps, and IMO the META loses nothing to the Grado, and may gain in the low end of the frequency response. Another component that may wind up costing me. I want one.

RIO Riot (Did I get this right?). There have been many words said about MP3 as a lossy compression system...but they're words. The thing that hit me about this player is that even if there is information lost, it doesn't distract from musical content. Crimes of commission (artifact, distortion) can kill a format for me. Crime of omission (that last level of detail, a rolloff at frequency extremes) are much less bothersome. One of the successes of the lower models of Grado phono cartridges over the years is the way the lower end models sacrifice information that isn't critical to musical enjoyment. So, you can listen to vinyl with them, not hearing the last word in resolution, but still having a very high fidelity experience. Or think of the difference between Music Hall MMF-7 table and VPI Scout. The Scout is undoubtedly a better playback system, which means that vinyl playback is losing something with the Music Hall...which is still a very fine table and deserves all of the recommendations it gets. So, here we have another example of lossy analog playback that still honors the music. The Rio did that for redbook. Even in MP3 format, it was very pleasant to listen to. I want one of these too. I'm tired of carrying around CD wallets...

Melos v. Melos: I'm waiting for more impressions from others before I speak to this one.

Mapletree EAR+ A great tube amp for low-impedance cans. I was truly impressed at the level of performance that this amp was able to deliver, particularly at the price range. I'm going to start recommending this to people looking for an intro to tubes. BDA_ABAT had finished construction the previous afternoon, so burn-in was still in its future, but the sound was already there. For a first DIY attempt, it's an even greater accomplishment. (One of my early DIY attempts, a modded DI/O expired during the session
tongue.gif
)

AudioValve RKV. I wasn't sure where this amp fitted into my system. I moved things around for the meet, and several amps wound up with different sources. This was one of them...and revealed flaws in the DI/O (hey, they were my first soldering in more time than many readers here have been alive, OK?
tongue.gif
) In any event, using the NS500V and 9000ES, this amp came into its own. Driving an HD-600 through a drum solo, the power was unbelievable (The DI/O simply couldn't deliver this). Further, when Fisher 400 and RKV were run from 9000ES, the RKV distanced itself from the Fisher much more than it did using DI/O. I'm only now starting to appreciate the accomplishment of this amp.

Creek CD53: The best redbook player I've owned...and possibly the bottleneck on the system it was in. The two amps hooked to it sounded very good indeed...to the point I wanted to hook up a turntable and see just how good they could be. There's got to be a way to get more out of redbook, and I suspect I'd hit the same wall with the Arcam FMJ23T. How much are those Tri-Vista players again?

Supra amp. The cleanest tube amp present. Take most headphones, and listen to another amp. Then take it to the Supra. It's as though a layer of distortion or veiling is peeled away. It beats the EAR out with HP-1, IMO. R10 is closer, but I'm working on it
tongue.gif
. Absolutely wonderful with HD-600. Gets rid of bass "bloom" almost entirely, and puts the music together with this headphone better than any other amp I've heard (although I want a rematch with the Blockhead before committing completely). Still, my early impression that this was the most transparent amp I've got is still what I believe to be true.

EAR HP4: completely smooth and detailed. Astonishing liquidity, and great power. Do the transformers color the sound to the poing where it's distracting? This question didn't even occur to me until hearing the Supra. The comparison between these amps is a comparison between champions. One is one of the best transformer-coupled ams around, while the other is an astonishing OTL amp, running single-ended. Maybe the HP4 needs a better cable than the Cardas Golden Reference
very_evil_smiley.gif

Denon DCP-150: Back at the "portables" table, this player fills the gap between portable and stand-alone. It's basically a small stand-alone that's easy to move about. When using internal batteries, it doesn't run the amplifier full out, and there's a loss of gain even at the line output. This amp needs batteries to run it's best. I use an external 6v battery pack, and it sings. Perhaps a highly regulated 6v wall supply would work. The adapter it comes with adds too much noise.

Mar 9, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Well, at least you know that some guy that works for FedEx, on some uninhabited island, is enjoying the Headroom gear.. should pass some time.

Heh, they've got uninhabited islands in Memphis???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Think of being trapped on an uninhabited island with some of the best headphone gear in the world, and the batteries on the Cosmic finally die out. Hell, I tell you!!
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 34
First of all, a huge thanks once again to Hirsch for hosting another amazing opportunity for all of us to meet, hear and discuss all things headphone.

A great group of guys showed up for this one. Lot's of fun.

Melos vs. Melos: I thought that they both sounded great. The top one (carlos modded) did have a slightly better upper-bass/low mids coherency for me on most music. It was very, very close. Some prefered the bottom for everything. This is the perfect example of chasing the final .000001% for me. Worth the money for the mods? Not for me, but I can see it for someone else.

RS-1, modded with yellow senn pads: Blew me away. The best phones I have ever heard. Yes for mr better than the r10. Magical. What can I say? (If anyone has a pair for sale, let me know).

R10/Supra: OK, pretty great. Clean and super fast for a tube amp. Something really works about this combo. At first I didn't hear it at all. I thought that it lacked punch and was smooth and flat. It really grew on me. Hirsch is not crazy(well about this amp) in his loving description. With all the world-class tube amps present (and part of his collection), this amp really does shine. It made several sets of phones which I don't especially like sound great as well.

AKG K-1000: Sound good,look and feel too weird. These had fine bass response. I expected them to be much thinner. Last time I heard them there was a sub in the room.

EAR+; Bruce had just finished it. It seems like a steal for the money. Sounded very nice.

A great time. Let's do it again soon.

Mar 9, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 34
Well, I got my soldering iron out today to fix the dead DI/O. And of course, it was singing merrily, without a hint of a problem. I give up. At least I was able to fix a broken cable.

Steve999's comments may be a little bit late. He got the day wrong and showed up this afternoon.
tongue.gif
I think we can forgive him, though, as they're expecting a new baby any minute, and impending fatherhood can do that to someone...
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 34
Hirsch, you mind if I show up late, too? -- say next week sometime when I'm back in town? ... Sounds like you guys had another great meet, even if you were missing some expected gear. I've been stuck with my Sony MDR-V6 and Grado SR-80 for over a month now due to Grado being incredibly slow with my HP-1000s, so it would have been good to have heard some of the stuff you guys had.

I really would have liked to have heard the MAD Ear+ and (after somehow missing it last time) the Melos SHA-1, two amps that I considered buying in the past but passed on. Someone else post some comments on these -- and does anyone else have anything else to say about carlo's mods compared to the stock SHA-1?

What'd the rest of you think of Hirsch's new monster amp? Did you guys play with it with anything but the R-10?

I think about the only think left for DC meets is the RS-1/Blockhead combo. ... Get on that, Hirsch.
wink.gif
Hopefully I'll be able to make the summer one before I leave the country for about a year. ...

kerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back