DC meet
Mar 10, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #16 of 34
Public thanks to Hirsch for hosting yet another successful meet (his opinion notwithstanding). There really was plenty of stuff to listen to.

Show-stealer -- the Supra -- I want one. This is easily one of the best, if not the best, amp I have ever heard. Get in line behind me. It even made the DT770 sound awesome. I'm really sorry Tuberoller couldn't make it, as I would really have liked to have heard his opinion of it. Tube -- trust me, just get one.

Melos challenge -- took it. Fell asleep (sugar coma). Went in completely blind, but figured out which one was modified. It is better. It gives back the transients (so many amps sound like they compress them). Not sure I would pay for it, as the difference is really subtle, but you're at the point of diminishing returns. If you have the money, and you want to improve it, I would. Also, I was never a fan of the Melos to begin with. Alright, that's not true, I was, but not any more.

RKV with the DT770 -- too much of a good thing. Bleah.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself to anyone new there...don't know why I didn't, just rude I guess.

Mar 10, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 34
My thanks to those posting impressions of Melos incarnations, I find much interest in such comparisons. I must say however that if someone with a Sony NSV500, Melos SHA-1, and Cardas'd HD600s (all components I've spent time with) asked for the best way to improve their system I'd recommend dropping the cash on another source or DIYing/performing Kern's modifications to the Sony. Moding the amp (via DIY or otherwise) won't have nearly the same impact as it would with another source. But of course thats only my opinion.

Looks like it was one hell of a meet. Any more impressions on the NEC drive as a transport? Very interesting project.

Mar 10, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 34
The NS500V was there because putting the 9000ES on the Melos' case would have made permanent indentations. My early listening was done with modded DI/O's, so I've heard more than one source and my impressions are similar to those posted. There are audible improvements in sound with the Melos modifications, noticeable as extension of low end and cleaner distinction in the midrange. However, the stock Melos is no slouch at either of these. So far, I would rate the improvement as incremental. It gets the best out of the Melos...but it's an evolutionary, not a revolutionary change.

I'm going to see if I feel differently after using the 9000ES and VD Nites. If that ups the ante, I'll go to my Ariston table and Cary phono stage just to confirm.

carlo, I've been having very good luck using the NEC drive as a transport for the DI/O's, until one of the DI/O's died. As a last ditch replacement source, I used the analog outputs of the NEC...and it wasn't bad. I may have been tired and delusional at that point, so I'm going to try again rested. It may be a decent player as well as transport.

Mar 11, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #19 of 34
Thanks Hirsch!!!
This was my first headphone meet ever, and it was fun, not to mention overwhelming!!!
There was soooo much equipment - yes a good problem to have.
We all really appreciate the fact that Hirsch opened up his home to us and hosted a great meet. It was really great to meet everyone.

Creek --> Supra --> R10: This was obviously a tremendous set up. Besides the fact that most of us can't afford this set up AND make mortgage payments it was silky smooth. The detail was exceptional and the balance was superb. What more can you say?

Melos: The two amps were very close. It was amusing to watch us try to compare the two amps: rapidly swapping Senns every few seconds, re-playing tracks and segments over and over. We were initially blinded to which amp was modded, and I was in the minority(read: the only one) and preferred the stock amp to the mod. The modded amp did sound more smooth. It provided a more "tubey" sound than the stock. Music was perhaps more cohesive. However, the reason I preferred the stock was that I felt it provided greater detail. Perhaps I was trying to be more analytical, rather than just allowing myself to enjoy the music but I was able to hear each instrument better in more detail. To me, the modded amp lost clarity although it gained smoothness.

AKG K-1000: Only had a short audition, but it was really neat. Very natural with crisp detail. Bass seemed adequate, certainly not overwhelming. Very enjoyable.

ATH-W1000 vs Sony CD3000: I own the W1000, having bought them from audiocubes without an audition. They are beautiful and have an excellent sound stage. Clarity and detail are very good. However, they seem too harsh and trebly for me. They don't seem natural to me. The CD3000s seemed to fill in those deficiencies for me. The sound was fuller and with "thicker" mids and more rolled off high end. If I could do it again, I think I would have bought the CD3Ks, despite the fact that the materials that make up the cans seems "cheap" in comparison to the W1000.
Both cans are very comfortable.

DT770: Very short audition, but very impressed. Sure I first used them with the Supra, but then with a JMT META42. Very full sound - I didn't find them too bass heavy. Absolutely seem like a steal!!!

RS-1: The Grado sound to it's fullest: crisp and forward. Detail is superb.

Once again, thanks Hirsch for the hospitality and the wonderful opportunity to hear such great equipment.
It was a great bunch of guys too.

-Tim

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Hirsch, you mind if I show up late, too? -- say next week sometime when I'm back in town?

Sure. Just drop me a PM when you get back
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 34
My son Kevin was born at 11:31 A.M., on Monday morning. 9 pounds, 9 ounces, 21 1/4 inches.

Hirsch was extraordinarily kind in welcoming me a day late and I learned a great deal more than I might have otherwise, as I got a couple of hours of instruction from the master.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will post comments in between periods of sleep deprivation.

Edit: That's my 2 1/2 year-old son Glen in the avatar.

Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch Steve999's comments may be a little bit late. He got the day wrong and showed up this afternoon.
tongue.gif
I think we can forgive him, though, as they're expecting a new baby any minute, and impending fatherhood can do that to someone...
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #22 of 34
Congratulations on the arrival of the new member of the family! Mazel tov!!!

Ah, another head-fier in the making...

Good luck!
Bruce

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 34
Congrats, Steve.

And hats off to your wife, she must be a saint - that baby is big!

Mar 12, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #26 of 34
Well, I'm just glad they didn't get a picture of me when Hirsch answered the door and said, "It was yesterday, Steve."
wink.gif

I got to listen to Hirsch's Supra amp through his HD 600s. It was just awe inspiring and jaw-dropping. All I could do was shake my head.... I just had never heard anything that good before. To me, it was just perfect sound.

I also listened to the AKG K1000s through the Audiovalve RKV. Again, astonishing and jaw-dropping. Such spacious and beautiful and natural sound.

I heard the K1000s through the supermini, but that was minutes after hearing them through the RKV... it drove them well, but it was a letdown to my ears right after the RKV.

Hirsch was also kind enough to guide me through how I could use house current to power up my porta corda, and even had a spare part to get me started. He would never lose any points for patience or kindness.

I got to hear the RS-1s throught the supermini.... now that was great sound, quite well-drvien by that little sucker and PLENTY of bass on the scene too.

He also took some time to listen to my new Sony D66 eggos, and seemed rather favorably impressed (though I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth). It helped me to appreciate how good they are and listen to them with new ears and more open-mindedly. (I was a bit uptight at having blown another hundred bucks on impulse on the eggos.)

All in all, it was just a wonderful experience and I could never thank Hirsch enough for his kindness, generosity and time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 34
Looks like you guys had a great time! Oh, and congrats Steve!

A few questions about the meet:

1) I've haven't been here for a week or two. What's this "supra" amp? Is it a DIY design? Is it a modified design?

2) NEC transport: please tell us more. We want model numbers!
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #28 of 34
Andrzej, the "supra" is a big tube amp Hirsch bought off a guy who was selling them on eBay. More info on the amps, and Hirsch's specifically, can be found in these theads:
  1. Custom SET amp: pictures
  2. The mysterious EBAY AMP!
The NEC transport is just a NEC CD-ROM drive with play controls and a digital (and analog, actually) outputs. Lots of the NEC MultiSpin drives have these features and are supposed to be pretty good transports. Some other manufacturers' drives work as well -- you just need a digital-out and play controls and you're ready to go.

kerely

Mar 12, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #30 of 34
hey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back