DC Meet: Pictures and comments
Aug 26, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #16 of 32
The problem with a mass of equipment like this is the multitude of possible combinations are so immense, that you can only touch the surface.

I'm using the K-1000 with a 35 watt Adcom amp (SHA-1 is the preamp). The ZOTL's single watt won't drive this headphone. I bought it on Thursday, had it Friday via Fed Ex, and first really got a chance to listen to it at the meet...and have been listening since. I *really* like this headphone (OK, earspeaker). Soundstaging is unsurpassed by anything and I do mean anything. It's so open that it gives an eerie feeling of being in two places at once. You're in both the musical environment, with the musicians each in their own location, and in the physical room, with other people moving around and talking to you. This gets really close to the speaker experience...except the "sweet spot" moves around with you. After hearing it with the Fisher, I'm contemplating getting a tube power amp just to drive these headphones.

EMP and Moretto actually can be compared, once we get an adapter cable for the HAP-04. Another one for the list.

I understand what John Grado is trying to do with his amps and headphones. They have a great deal of warmth, and can be very bright. This yields a lot of detail, but there's a price. The Joe Grado amp and headphones have a neutral honesty that the current Grado's just can't reach. The older Grado's may yield a trace amount of detail, but are much closer to a true representation of the music, IMO.

more to come...

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Uh, no, that's not the stock cable, it's an upgrade cable, and no, it's not fair.
biggrin.gif

_________

Thanks Susty !!

Best from

Ari

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 32
hi everyone...

sorry for the delay in posting my impressions, I was busy today helping my girlfriend move.

First of all, I would like to thank hirsch for having us all over and for pulling out all his equipment so we could play around with it all.

Also, a big thanks to dusty for bringing out the RKV and the HAP-02 as well as the kenwood and so much more. You guys should have seen how many trips he had to make out to his car
biggrin.gif

Of most interest to me was the GW Labs DSP and the ZOTL. Here I got to here both connected together
smily_headphones1.gif
I was interested to see if the differences with upsampling were noticable, and upsampled to 96KHz, I thought cds sounded much more natural. I would have to spend more time to quantify the differences, but they were definately apparent to my ears.

I thought that the melos SHA-1 and the Grado HP-1 was the best of show (sorry R-10) but some other combinations really sounded fantastic. The R-10 with anything was pretty impressive. I liked the RKV and spend quite a bit of time with it, both hooked up to the kenwood (which was nice!) and the Sony N500V and I thought it was nice with the HD-600, but I didn't feel that bad afterwards having not bought one during jan meier's introductory offer. I enjoyed the Max with the HD-600 but with anything else it made me yawn. It is a good amp and solidly built, but it really seems to do best with the HD-600 imo. That works ok for me since the HD-600 happens to be my primary headphone, but I would like more versatility, which is why I happen to like the SHA-1.

The HAP-03 was a nice amp! I thought it was surprisingly good, especially given it's price. I was thinking about the HAP-03 or MG Head for a work system, and unfortunately there wasn't a MG Head around to compare, but I can say without hesitation that the HAP-03 would do admirably. Plus, it is incredibly small! I thought it would be about on par with the MG Head, but it is really more along the lines of the EarMax Pro. Dusty said that he uses the HAP-02 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 at work, and that was indeed a great combo! I think that overall I preferred the HAP-03, especially in the lower frequencies, I thought the HAP-03 did a magnificent job with the bass... but the HAP-02, if cheap enough might end up on my desk, especially because it seems less breakable, which is a concern with other people being around at work.

On mention of the EMP, I wasn't impressed. It wasn't a bad sounding amp, and paired with the W100, it handled female vocals and strings well like dusty suggested, however, for the price I think that you can do better, both in terms of build (the power cord/dc adapter unit seemed a bit cheap) and quality.

and, the ZOTL... being as hirsch always overlooks the SHA-1 in favor of the ZOTL, I was most interested, especially since the ZOTL can be had for about the price that a SHA-1 (well, in those not to distant days of demand on the SHA-1) However, in any other circumstances, I would have listened for a while and said, "eh, decent" but things being how they were with hirsch and the SHA-1 and ZOTL, I really spent some time here, with as many headphones as I could get my grubby hands on. (R-10, HD-600, W100, DT770, HP-1). I found the ZOTL to be very smooth sounding, but quick on the attack, probably more so than even the MAX, but I still found that to my ears it lacked life, and sounded a bit noisy to boot, which surprised me. I thought that perhaps it was the recording or the headphones, but with different cds and different headphones I found the noise reappearing from time to time. I am not sure that this is really the ZOTL's fault though, the EMI and RFI on the table must have been pretty intense, and so I think I would have to give the ZOTL another try before I really write it off. I think I can see why hirsch likes it though, listening to the ZOTL and the melos, I get a sense of the differences (which I don't want to go into for reasons that I haven't spent enough time with the ZOTL and I am sure hirsch could do better) that I really think that it is a matter of preference, and not a simple matter of better or worse one way or another. I think that someone considering an amp the cost of the ZOTL should take a look at both the ZOTL and the melos. However, one nice thing about the ZOTL is that from what hirsch tells me, the sound seems to be more affected by tubes than the melos, so it might be possible to tune the ZOTL more to your liking through tuberolling, if that is your thing. One more note about the ZOTL, it is damn small. It is even smaller than a toaster oven, probably smaller than a toaster, and as such it is sort of at the mercy of the power cord you have connected to it. The power cord it was using at the meet was probably overkill, It kept dragging the ZOTL around and once it even managed to disconnect itself. Careful placement would probably make this a non-issue, but still, it was a minor annoyance.

Oh, and to satisfy The Quality Guru, there was a shoot-off between joe and john grado. I think joe won by a rather sickeningly large margin, and the HAP-1 seemed to be a decent amp on its own merits (sounding rather nice with the w100).

So what did I take away from this meet? That there certainly is something as too much audio, that I am satisfied with the SHA-1 even up against the RKV and the ZOTL, and that I need a GW Labs DSP / Monarchy DIP / ART DI/O combo
smily_headphones1.gif

That's enough for now, I'll post more as it comes to me.

Driftwood

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #19 of 32
Nice pile on the table. Too bad I missed it.

I got into DC this morning, spent the day moving in -- I know I'm really here because I saw some guy walking his tarantula on M Street this morning. ...

kerelybonto

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #20 of 32
Once again, thanks to Hirsch for having me over. This meet was even better than the last. The pics don't do justice to the amount of gear that was present, it was truely amazing.

I've become interested in the Beyers lately, so I was glad for the opportunity to listen to Dusty's 770s, 990s, 831s and 931s back to back to back to back.
biggrin.gif
I was suprised to find that, listening out of my Corda and Cambridge D500SE w/ outlaw ICs and VD power 3 cables on amp and cd player, there was some music where all the phones sounded similar and some where they were completely different. I came away still able to decide between them, and I wasn't even able to test out the 250s
frown.gif
There were definite similarities between the 990 and 770 and the 831 and 931. Overall, I'd probably have to agree with Dusty that the 770 was my favorite, though I think I'd want more listening time before I made my decision.

I've heard the HP1000s before at Hirsch's, and was again impressed by them. However, I also found that I liked the RS-1s much more than last time. Before they sounded bright (Hirsch had a brand-new pair) but after break in I really liked them. I'm really getting into the Grado sound, and have been spending a lot more time with my sr60s lately. I see an upgrade in my future.
wink.gif

But - first I think I need to get a pair of the AKG k1000s. I first heard these phones at the philly stop of the WOH tour, and loved them in the short period of time I got to listen to them. Yesterday I confirmed that I do in fact LOVE these phones. They are absolutely unlike anything else out there (that I have heard), my only problem is that I don't know what I've got to drive them.

Finally, the r10s were, of course, amazing. Far out of my price range, but it was great to get a chance to hear them. Hirsch is truely a lucky (and now poor?) guy to have all of this stuff at his disposal, and we're lucky that he has us over to sample it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 32
I got a chance to compare these together on Saturday. These headphones somehow remind me of Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton in the movie "Bandits". Each has great virtues, and also great flaws. Take the best of each and combine them, and you could have one of the best headphones around. The W100 didn't have the sizzling high end that bothered me when I owned them, which is leading me to suspect an interconnect issue then. The high end was rather muted this time around, and bass was mediocre. The midrange was where this headphone was strongest, and with the right music sounded absolutely great. I now see why some people consider this a polite headphone, which is something I never would have called it previously. It's twin the A100Ti is a polar opposite. The A100Ti is a bass monster, and can really belt out the low notes. Highs are also decent on the A100Ti...it's the middle that's hurting. The A100Ti is anything but polite, and is best at belting out rock. I'd love to put these two headphones together and try to breed them. Offspring with the midrange of the W100 and the aggressiveness of the A100Ti would be impressive (OTOH, a headphone with the midrange of the A100Ti and the frequency extremes of the W100 should taken out to the back yard and buried
tongue.gif
)

Aug 26, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hirsch,
Heck with the 501, did you find an amp that was more satisfying for you with the R10 bass-wise? I know you had some mis-givings. Did you try the EMP? Did that help? How was it with the Max with stepped attenuator?

Still haven't found the amp that's hits the spot with the R10. Max with SA did best in regards to bass, but still isn't where I want. Digressing from the meet for a second, the best bass response I've gotten was to use a Musical Fidelity X10-D between the DI/O and ZOTL. With the right tubes, that little thing can get the R10 to really belt out bass. Unfortunately, the tubes that have the best bass response introduce their own colorations, and ultimately become distracting. (Come to think of it, the X10-D is on the table somewhere, but we didn't use it).

EMP didn't impress me. There was something odd going on in the midrange, and I'm not sure what was happening. I'd like to hear that amp again, with more time to devote just to it.

I'm trying to remember what amp the K-501 was plugged into, and I just don't know. I remember Dusty handing me the headphone, and listening to the bass, but I never looked to see what was driving it. The menus of Dusty's Kenwood are in Japanese...I wonder if he accidentally hit "Mega-Bass"
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
I found the ZOTL to be very smooth sounding, but quick on the attack, probably more so than even the MAX, but I still found that to my ears it lacked life, and sounded a bit noisy to boot, which surprised me. I thought that perhaps it was the recording or the headphones, but with different cds and different headphones I found the noise reappearing from time to time.

Ugh, I think I know that noise. I tried using the Homegrown Silver Lace in my computer room, and the result was rather noisy (I only use shielded cables there). I didn't listen to the ZOTL much Saturday...if I'd heard the noise I would have switched cables out.

I can't argue with your conclusions about the Melos and HP-1. IMO that is one of the great headphone/amp combinations...I love listening to that combo.

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 32
I learned the following:

I had no idea there was this many headphone enthusiasts living in the same general Rockville area.

I had a chance to see and hear a number of different headphones I had only read about on the forum including: AKG K-1000 Earspeaker, Grado RS-1, Beyerdynamic DT-770, AKG-K501, and amps: David Berning microZOTL, Corda Head Amp, and others. I honestly can't remember all the different models of amps and sources on display and playing today.

My vintage Fisher 400 tube receiver took on all comers, met all challenges handily, and was not disgraced today. Go Team Fisher!

There appears to be no limit to the amount of pizza that Head-Fi members can consume.

Cats, for the most part, are indifferent to headphones, amps, sources, and headphone listeners.

Thanks again Hirsh, for hosting this event.

-Marc

Aug 27, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 32
There were seven of us, up from five the first time. We're a small but growing group...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
Thanks Susty !!

Uh, that's Dusty. I'm going to have to tell that one to some of my real-life friends, they're going to start calling me that. Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
I found the ZOTL to be very smooth sounding, but quick on the attack, probably more so than even the MAX, but I still found that to my ears it lacked life, and sounded a bit noisy to boot, which surprised me. I thought that perhaps it was the recording or the headphones, but with different cds and different headphones I found the noise reappearing from time to time.

Ugh, I think I know that noise. I tried using the Homegrown Silver Lace in my computer room, and the result was rather noisy (I only use shielded cables there). I didn't listen to the ZOTL much Saturday...if I'd heard the noise I would have switched cables out.

I can't argue with your conclusions about the Melos and HP-1. IMO that is one of the great headphone/amp combinations...I love listening to that combo.

Actually, several of us had problems with the ART DI/O, so it may have been that.

Aug 27, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Actually, several of us had problems with the ART DI/O, so it may have been that.

There could be something to this. I switched the DI/O out for my spare (one of my less successful efforts, as it will not get external sync at 96KHz)...but the sound is definitely different, and perhaps improved.

The source may indeed be where the bass issue with the R10 lies, as the second DI/O seems to be able to push the R10 lower than the first. Still, the Sony players should have been able to put out a decent bass response, so the full story isn't known yet.

Aug 27, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

I'd love to put these two headphones together and try to breed them. Offspring with the midrange of the W100 and the aggressiveness of the A100Ti would be impressive

lol, I'm sorry, but was anyone else reminded of that simpsons episode where homer tried to breed the cat and the dog?
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 32
This was a super-awesome event! I got to hear headphone amps, and headphones that cost over $100, for the first time in my life. The headphones that really blew me away were the Grado HP-1s (which I understand they don't make anymore), the Sennheiser HD-600s, the Sennheiser HD 560IIs, and the Audio Technica ATH W-100s. I had never, ever heard sound like these! I mean these were the very best sound I had ever heard in my entire life.

I also got to try the Headroom Cosmic amp, which I just loved to death, the Corda amp, which I was addicted to (the crossfeed was more neutral than the Cosmic but not nearly so much flair, I think I prefer the cosmic by a hair), and the Total Airhead (a disappointment for me, the cosmic blew it to pieces, I guess you get what you pay for).

I also got to try out some super-expensive amps that I completely fail to comprehend. But the sound was uniformly amazing.

And there were these super-cool incredibly airy and neutral- sounding headphones that are two rectangular speakers that sit about an inch away from you ears... now that was some startlingly good sound. Those you just listen to and say WHOA!!! Did someone put something in my iced tea???? I understand they are selling at half price at headroom for about, oh, $500. Those were the very best headphones I heard. I think they were the AKG K-1000 earspeakers.

I also learned that my modest Grado SR-60s, Sennheiser HD 497s, and Sony MDR-V6s were really not lacking, are really just fine, where they suffer is when you just flat out A/B them with the headphones I mentioned above, it's just a matter of my modest headphones not quite reaching that level of ultra-realistic and ultra-engaging sound.

And the people were so great, I had just a great time. And I ate lots of pizza. Thanks so much to Hirsch! I'll be there for the next one!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back