DC iPurifier2 - In Pursuit of Silence
Jun 7, 2018 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

iFi audio

Sponsor: iFi audio
In pursuit of silence – DC iPurifier2

Introduction

Listening to music on your home system should sound perfect but chances are it doesn’t, and that’s due to hiss and distortion created by the power supply connected to your electronic device.

In February 2016 iFi launched the original DC iPurifier to combat these issues and it proved to be both highly effective and popular. Not a company to stand still, iFi has now developed the DC iPurifier2 with a few new additions.

Active noise cancellation

In its 2ndgeneration, the DC iPurifier2 has a further optimised version of its much-acclaimed and award-winning ANC® (Active Noise Cancellation) system adapted from military radar defence technology. Emulating the way in which air defence radar technology works, the DC iPurifier2 identifies noise frequencies then generates identical but opposite frequencies, which actively cancel all the incoming noise.

Just insert the DC iPurifier2 between the existing noisy power supply and the device you want to use – it could be anything from a DAC to a DAW (digital audio workstation) – and the noise will be reduced by a factor of 316x to 100,000x.

Ultra wide-band design, effective from 1Hz to above 5GHz

The DC iPurifier2 is a ground-up, ultra-wide band design that leaves no stone unturned. Though it’s effective from 1Hz all the way up to 5GHz, the strongest performance is in the audible range of 20Hz to 20KHz.

Built-in polarity protection

A red protection LED will be lit if the input polarity is reversed.

Quality components
  • Panasonic SP-Cap Polymer Aluminium Capacitors with an ultra-low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) and excellent noise reduction as well as stable temperature and frequency characteristics.
  • High-precision MELF resistors - Metal electrode leadless face resistors have excellent accuracy, stability, reliability, and pulse load capability.
  • Custom Operational amps with ultra-low noise and fast speed.
  • New copper-alloy shielding - This excellent EMI shielding isolates devices and cables to block radio frequency electromagnetic radiation.
Pure Obsession

The DC iPurifier2 handles 5 volts right through to 24, and comes with a variety of adapter sizes making it compatible with all power supplies - 5.5x2.1mm, 5x2.5mm, and 3.5x1.35mm.

The retail price of the DC iPurifier2 is US$99 (ex-tax) or €119/£99 (incl. VAT).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 58
I'm using a desktop sized DAC (Hifime UDA38Pro) in my car, powered with USB in-car charger via USB-to-DC cable, but the supply is too noisy. Which product would be the best choice for my usage, the DC iPurifier2 or @atomicbob's Noise Nuke?

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 58
In pursuit of silence – DC iPurifier2

Introduction

Listening to music on your home system should sound perfect but chances are it doesn’t, and that’s due to hiss and distortion created by the power supply connected to your electronic device.

In February 2016 iFi launched the original DC iPurifier to combat these issues and it proved to be both highly effective and popular. Not a company to stand still, iFi has now developed the DC iPurifier2 with a few new additions.

Active noise cancellation

In its 2ndgeneration, the DC iPurifier2 has a further optimised version of its much-acclaimed and award-winning ANC® (Active Noise Cancellation) system adapted from military radar defence technology. Emulating the way in which air defence radar technology works, the DC iPurifier2 identifies noise frequencies then generates identical but opposite frequencies, which actively cancel all the incoming noise.

Just insert the DC iPurifier2 between the existing noisy power supply and the device you want to use – it could be anything from a DAC to a DAW (digital audio workstation) – and the noise will be reduced by a factor of 316x to 100,000x.

Ultra wide-band design, effective from 1Hz to above 5GHz

The DC iPurifier2 is a ground-up, ultra-wide band design that leaves no stone unturned. Though it’s effective from 1Hz all the way up to 5GHz, the strongest performance is in the audible range of 20Hz to 20KHz.

Built-in polarity protection

A red protection LED will be lit if the input polarity is reversed.

Quality components
  • Panasonic SP-Cap Polymer Aluminium Capacitors with an ultra-low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) and excellent noise reduction as well as stable temperature and frequency characteristics.
  • High-precision MELF resistors - Metal electrode leadless face resistors have excellent accuracy, stability, reliability, and pulse load capability.
  • Custom Operational amps with ultra-low noise and fast speed.
  • New copper-alloy shielding - This excellent EMI shielding isolates devices and cables to block radio frequency electromagnetic radiation.
Pure Obsession

The DC iPurifier2 handles 5 volts right through to 24, and comes with a variety of adapter sizes making it compatible with all power supplies - 5.5x2.1mm, 5x2.5mm, and 3.5x1.35mm.

The retail price of the DC iPurifier2 is US$99 (ex-tax) or €119/£99 (incl. VAT).

Hey guys I've got a Project EMber II which has been used with similar devices and shown an improvement when utilized with a noise reducing solution, @iFi audio you guys open to a short little US tour so we can get some subjective listens for this, I'd be curious to hear how the Ember II improves with such a solution

I'm using a desktop sized DAC (Hifime UDA38Pro) in my car, powered with USB in-car charger via USB-to-DC cable, but the supply is too noisy. Which product would be the best choice for my usage, the DC iPurifier2 or @atomicbob's Noise Nuke?

Well the Noise Nuke is a $42 dollar build not including labor vs the iFi which comes assembled and backed by their customer support and warrant

Design wise I'm sure AtomicBob's is phenomenal, so if you can build it and maintain it I'd say go for it! Other wise if you can't assemble/solder it you may likely benefit from something like this. As I don't thing AtomicBob was selling the Noise Nukes assembled,

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 58
Well the Noise Nuke is a $42 dollar build not including labor vs the iFi which comes assembled and backed by their customer support and warrant

Design wise I'm sure AtomicBob's is phenomenal, so if you can build it and maintain it I'd say go for it! Other wise if you can't assemble/solder it you may likely benefit from something like this. As I don't thing AtomicBob was selling the Noise Nukes assembled,
I was planning to build one, it looks trivial enough. But I don't know which one would be the best for filtering the noise out of my car supply. @iFi audio do you have any measurements for me to look at? Does the DC iPurifier 2 good enough to turn a generic wallwart DC supply into an iPower, if that even make sense:ksc75smile:?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 58
ifi is one of the most fascinating companies in this industry, I'd love to review some of their products some day soon.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 58
Hey guys I've got a Project EMber II which has been used with similar devices and shown an improvement when utilized with a noise reducing solution, @iFi audio you guys open to a short little US tour so we can get some subjective listens for this, I'd be curious to hear how the Ember II improves with such a solution

Oh but you know what, I just noticed there at the bottom it's limited to 24 v 3.5a :/ oh well that won't work with my EMber II which is like 40V+ and 840 mA. Oh well! @iFi audio I'd love to see you guys launch an updated product for the Voltage Ranges your not able to cover with this one

I was planning to build one, it looks trivial enough. But I don't know which one would be the best for filtering the noise out of my car supply. @iFi audio do you have any measurements for me to look at? Does the DC iPurifier 2 good enough to turn a generic wallwart DC supply into an iPower, if that even make sense:ksc75smile:?

But the good news for you is that the DC iP2 will work with you unit! Lucky you and I imagine they've got some Measurements, so hopefully they'll put a post together.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 58
Is there any data, graphs, null tests, or anything showing before / after, with / without effects? Not just on noisy sources but the most common wall-wart DC stuff most people use. If I can see some kind of a difference I may be tempted. The thing is, I don't have testing gear, and it's easy to think you hear a difference when you don't.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 58
Oh well! @iFi audio I'd love to see you guys launch an updated product for the Voltage Ranges your not able to cover with this one
Yeah, the upcoming Liquid Platinum tube amp is also using 32V DC SMPS PSU, which unfortunately is not going to be compatible with the DC iPurifier2. Am looking for something for like that too, that can support higher voltages. The noise nuke can support up to 48V DC, and should be compatible with your Ember II.

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 58
Hey guys I've got a Project EMber II which has been used with similar devices and shown an improvement when utilized with a noise reducing solution,

If interest is there, this is possible. We'll give this idea a thought, that's a promise.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 58
@iFi audio or anyone else who might know. The dc ipurifier 2 says its good to 24v at 3.5 amps, but would something that's 12v at 4a which is around 48w (i believe) still be fine since it's under the max spec of 84 watts? I'm not sure how beefed up the dc ipurfier is and I know some products have the specs underrated by a little. Also, this is for a monitor so it's not the end of the world if I can't do it I just wanted to clean up the power a bit where I can.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 58
To ifi audio:
My gears are 1 USB-Coaxial interface (5V-9V), 1 raspberry pi (5V) and 1 movie player (12V). They all have a quite decent switching power supply and I would upgrade them. I DO NOT need to switch them on at the same time.

1. How much improvement in term of percentage is the new DC ipurifer2 (V2) compared to DC ipurifier (V1)?
2. Since the price of 2 iPower equals to 1 new DC ipurifer2, which one is better in terms of sound quality? Is it a marginal or tremendous difference?
3. Will there be a new iPower, which probably has the active noise cancellation2 anytime soon?

Many thanks.

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 58
To ifi audio: Is it a marginal or tremendous difference? (ETC).

I'd long ago asked for anything that shows improvement vs. "we think it sounds great". You're asking a company that would not provide this that is trying to sell you something if their new product will be better than the one before. If they do answer that, I think we know what to expect. Likely, the answer will not be "No".

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 58
To ifi audio:
My gears are 1 USB-Coaxial interface (5V-9V), 1 raspberry pi (5V) and 1 movie player (12V). They all have a quite decent switching power supply and I would upgrade them. I DO NOT need to switch them on at the same time.

1. How much improvement in term of percentage is the new DC ipurifer2 (V2) compared to DC ipurifier (V1)?
2. Since the price of 2 iPower equals to 1 new DC ipurifer2, which one is better in terms of sound quality? Is it a marginal or tremendous difference?
3. Will there be a new iPower, which probably has the active noise cancellation2 anytime soon?

Many thanks.

I'm not ifi but I think I remember an answer they gave to a similar question but it was about the original dc ipurifier it was that the ipower would always be better since it was built for a specific voltage and amps... I know the dc ipurifier 2 is improved but it's still built for a more general wider range though I'm sure they are very close. Also fun fact there is an ipower2 however it's only currently used with the pro products

Users who are viewing this thread

Back