DC Area Head-Fi Minimeet Impressions 05/07/2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 68
Sheldaze, when the touring Moon Neo 230 HAD comes your way, I'd like to hear your comparison between it and the Deckard if possible.
Funny that the Deckard has only one digital input.

Probably just because of the amplifier, from which it borrows. And it wouldn't be so bad if I could use the USB directly from iPhone - the Ayre Codex and the Woo Audio WA7 both work straight from an iPhone.

With the Meridian, I get an error - too much power. But the Audeze gives me nothing. It's just strange 
frown.gif

I'll definitely test that aspect of the Moon.

May 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 68
Being new to the scene, I don't think I can't add much too the detailed impressions already posted here.
I just want to say I had a great time listening to gear that I could only dream of.

--------Quick Impressions/thanks---------------

Starting from @TimeLord letting me borrow the oppa ha2. It really was a life saver (a definite reminder that that there's still a lot to learn in this hobby).
Also, I got a chance to realize how much better the AKG7XX sounds with better gear. Shouldn't have sold mine when all I had was a cetrance dacport slim
frown.gif

The stax from @willsw and obviously his Microzotl was a memorable experience.

The punchy EDM nirvana provided by the HE560/Audio-GD NFB-27H (also thanks for letting me test the HD800 on my gear @gandhisfist).

The personal reunion with the warm sounding original vali of @sheldaze. I also really liked the Ayre Codex very much (I liked the warmth?).

The pleasant talk with @Billheiser over how awesome the X2 sounds on the Valhalla 2/Bimby. Yes, we have great taste!
biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------

Again, thanks to @sheldaze for organizing the event and reserving an awesome place. And also for always being helpful and providing insights to a newb like me.
PS. @gandhisfist, yes it is "David"
wink.gif

May 9, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #18 of 68
The last three DC meets (also the first three DC meets I've been to) have been an enjoyable progression from large to small. This meet was a true mini-meet, and listening was very pleasant therefore. 

First an impression of my own gear: I was disappointed that by the time I finally sat down to do some real A-Bing between the Audio-gd DAC 19 NOS and the Metrum Musette, something was going on with the Audio-gd, or going on with what I wasn't seeing, and I couldn't get it to play music. It has worked perfectly since getting it home. In theory this DAC was supposed to be a purchase of necessity that I sold ASAP after AXPONA, but now I'm making excuses to keep it longer and rationalizing spending more than I planned to on a DAC. I think it will end up being sold sometime in June, but I've been having a really good time with it in the meantime. The Stax SR- Lambdas (regular bias) had arrived Thursday, and today I gave my energizer to a guy with plans to convert one output to pro bias, so I haven't had that much time with them, but they're keeping up with my other very nice headphones. Had one of those corny audio moments wearing them and listening to an album while doing something else, and one song just sounded so good that I had to stop what I was doing until it was over. If the pro bias thing works out, I'm definitely getting a pair of Lambda Nova Signature. What's this? A very expensive slope I can slide down alongside the very expensive audio slope I'm already on? Great!

@gandhisfist's Audio-GD NFB-27H is certainly impressive in its power, and spending a bit more time with it than I did when he brought it by the LTA workshop, listening to HD650s, I appreciated the finesse that went along with its power - with my sibilance-testing track ("Autumn Leaves" by Cannonball Adderley) the treble was natural and didn't hurt, and timbres were accurate. I didn't listen to his HE-500 or HE-560 because I don't want to want anything else and I knew they sounded great from the previous session. Looking forward to when you buy those HE-6s and bring them to the next meet (but not the actual next meet, because that'll be at CAF and I'll be too busy vending to try much of anything). 

David's Valhalla 2 was interesting to listen to - I've never actually spent time with Schiit amps. It certainly wasn't warm, and I didn't really enjoy the HD800s out of it, but the HD650s were a better match, and I can imagine other headphones getting along quite well. I didn't realize the Vali was there as well, or I would have tried that too. 

Enjoyed all of the conversation, especially about DAC chips, which I have very little knowledge about, and just listening in general. I'm still relatively new to high-end audio, and still experiencing larger jumps in my personal equipment, so differences in sound are quite obvious and I'm not yet attuned to more subtle differences between equipment of similar high quality. These meets have been great for getting experience that's very hard to come by otherwise. And, even at mini-meets, there's never enough time to try everything. Still need to spend time with the Woo WA7

May 9, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 68
A belated thank you to @sheldaze for organizing this event. I didn't bring an amplifier to this meet so I didn't have a full chain  but I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with my new Bimby through @willsw's MicroZOTL2 and my HD800. I came away with a few useful conclusions. 1) I want a MicroZOTL2, 2) My Bimby is a good enough DAC (for now), and 3) The HD800 may also be good enough (for now). Thanks to everyone, especially @willsw, for your patience with my many questions.

May 11, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 68
@sheldaze quick update on the SR325 you graciously let me borrow.  Out of curiosity I picked up a pair of g-cush pads for these. I don't know if its just additiona distance between the driver and my ear or something about the cheapo ear zonk pads i bought, but it seems to have actually fixed that edge that the upper mids had on this headphone.  Will have a review written up and posted to my blog once i've had a little more time with them, but I definitely feel the g-cush pads are an improvement over the stock L-cush pads.

May 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 68
  @sheldaze quick update on the SR325 you graciously let me borrow.  Out of curiosity I picked up a pair of g-cush pads for these. I don't know if its just additiona distance between the driver and my ear or something about the cheapo ear zonk pads i bought, but it seems to have actually fixed that edge that the upper mids had on this headphone.  Will have a review written up and posted to my blog once i've had a little more time with them, but I definitely feel the g-cush pads are an improvement over the stock L-cush pads.

You mentioned that at the meet. Definitely would like to hear!

Umm...urgh...how much are the pads? Unless @yage brings the Sonett 2, I would not likely have a good baseline at the next meet. So it might be easier for me to "borrow" these back 
wink.gif

May 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 68
You mentioned that at the meet. Definitely would like to hear!

Umm...urgh...how much are the pads? Unless @yage
 brings the Sonett 2, I would not likely have a good baseline at the next meet. So it might be easier for me to "borrow" these back :wink:  

$45 for the official grado pads, but I bought the knockoff ear zonk pads for $20. You're welcome to borrow them back if you'd like, can even borrow the pads to try as well. I have some notes and will probably have a review up for these sometime next week anyway so I don't need a whole lot more time with them.

May 12, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 68
Has @yage subscribed to this thread yet? A surprise to me - the Ayre Codex is improving. There's a bit too much yard and street noise this evening to really tell - I'll give two more days until Saturday morning, and continue to burn through to the 300 hours. But the differences between it and Yggdrasil are diminishing after the 4 days.

Metrum Musette is just divine - so good in fact I feel a better comparison may be the one suggested in the Musette thread, to include the Gungnir Multibit and the Chord Hugo. Currently, there are certain pieces of electronic music or music with electronic instruments, on which the Chord Mojo excels. Otherwise, Musette is just divine - absolutely marvelous, and sleep depriving goodness is what I hear. The music just flows from the thing, in a natural and absorbing way.

May 12, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 68
  Has @yage subscribed to this thread yet?

Ah yes, present!

A surprise to me - the Ayre Codex is improving... the differences between it and Yggdrasil are diminishing after the 4 days.

I wasn't nearly as impressed with the Codex when I first borrowed it from Gifted Listener and used it as a DAC in my speaker setup. The second time around was a different story - the soundstage opened up and the tonality and expressiveness matched the Ayre C-5xeMP that I normally use as a source. I guess there really is something to burning in this piece of kit. One other note - I also used a DIY power cord rather than stock and that seemed to bump up the Codex' fine resolution a notch.

Metrum Musette is just divine - so good in fact I feel a better comparison may be the one suggested in the Musette thread, to include the Gungnir Multibit and the Chord Hugo.

I may have to audition one of these in the near future. I haven't listened to a NOS filterless DAC in my own system before but they intrigue me...

May 13, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #25 of 68
Overview of everything I heard:

HE-500
Warm but fatiguing with some ringing that made cymbals and snares painful. Not a bad headphone but not as resolving as the later model. The real problem is the headband.

HE 560
Very clear and smooth. Detail and noise on recordings are slightly glossed over. Blob staging. Too bright and fatiguing as cymbal and snare peaks are heightened. A very good headphone overall and technically better than AKGs and Beyers. I'd take this over the DT 880 but prefer the warmth of the K7XX that helps to balance out the wonky AKG treble.

NFB-27H
The only Sabre I've heard that does nothing wrong . Very good and detailed. It basically sounds like the Modi2U with more detail DAC wise. Not 10x better but slightly clearer. An actual upgrade instead of the colorations found upwards in the Schiit line until you reach the Yggy. An excellent Sigma Delta DAC. On it's own it's only 100 less than the combo which means it probably isn't worth it over just buying the Yggy or sticking a cheaper inoffensive Sabre on a voltage regulator or some craziness but it's perfect for a combo like the NFB-27H
The Best Sabre I've heard. NFB-27H > The Pono (neil young's custom filter is too warm) > X-Sabre (more detailed than the Pono but too bright with too soft treble. HE-1000 sabre?) for good Sabre implementations I've heard.

The amp portion was very good with driver control. Great bass impact. Slightly too much though that leads to some frequency masking of guitars and vocals by bass. Blast beats and rumbly bass guitar lines are the most affected. Still it's a very good amp with excellent driver control of the Sennheisers. I hope to hear the HE-6 on it sometime to see how far it can go.

May 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #26 of 68
@Billheiser, I can't remember, which version of the D2000 did you have? the pre-2012 or post-2012 version?  I just picked up a used pair of post 2012 D2000s and wanted to figure out if they would be similar or different from the pair you owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back