DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Sunday, October 16, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #136 of 197
Good to know this is happening. I will see if I can stop by! 

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #137 of 197
I wanted to also drop a note and day I plan on coming by as well, as long as my wife let's me :wink:

I have a Portal Audio Panache solid state integrated amplifier to bring, which is extraordinarily neutral and powerful.

I also have a Virtual Dynamics Nite 4ft power cord, 8 ft Virtual Dynamics David power cord and Foundation Research LC10 Line Conditioner with cryo'd Furutech connectors to bring as well.

I'm interested in hearing the Sennheiser HD800.

Since I m not bringing my entire setup, is it possible to mix and match gear with other folks present? I've never been to one of these before!

How many people are bringing their source?

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #138 of 197
I wanted to also drop a note and day I plan on coming by as well, as long as my wife let's me :wink:

I have a Portal Audio Panache solid state integrated amplifier to bring, which is extraordinarily neutral and powerful.

I also have a Virtual Dynamics Nite 4ft power cord, 8 ft Virtual Dynamics David power cord and Foundation Research LC10 Line Conditioner with cryo'd Furutech connectors to bring as well.

Since I m not bringing my entire setup, is it possible to mix and match gear with other folks present? I've never been to one of these before!

There are a few HD 800/S floating around. Was anyone plsnninv to bting their's? If not I can bring mine.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #139 of 197
Cavalli is delivering the Carbon a week later than I had hoped - I had originally planned to burn it in this week, but it will not arrive until Friday, this week. I need to leave something home, burning in. If there's no interest in HE-6, I can leave that one home, and bring instead my HD800S.

@TimeLord did you modify your HD800 yet?

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #140 of 197
Cavalli is delivering the Carbon a week later than I had hoped - I had originally planned to burn it in this week, but it will not arrive until Friday, this week. I need to leave something home, burning in. If there's no interest in HE-6, I can leave that one home, and bring instead my HD800S.

@TimeLord
 did you modify your HD800 yet?

No, it's still factory.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #141 of 197

@TimeLord
 did you modify your HD800 yet?

Also, does the Carbon need a lot of burn-in? You can get at least 24 hours in it before the meet. I want to hear it! :)

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #142 of 197

Wow... Portal Audio and Virtual Dynamics. Two names that I haven't heard in a long time. I was considering a Panache for my stereo at one point but went with a Plinius integrated instead. It'll be interesting to give it a listen.

In other news, I managed to break my big toe, but I think I'll be able to make the meet. I'll just be the guy hobbling around with a special sandal on one foot.

Also, Andy Kong of Cayin graciously let me keep his iHA-6 / iDAC-6 amp and DAC stack for an extra week so I that's what I'm going to bring. There's more information about the two here.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #144 of 197
Also, does the Carbon need a lot of burn-in? You can get at least 24 hours in it before the meet. I want to hear it! :)

It takes about a week, at least according to the information the designer posted in the threads during the first release.

There is definite interest in the HE-6, and I will likely bring my HD800 anyway.

I'll stick with my plan to bring HE-6.

Just noting, even with the Super Dupont modification, I still preferred my HD800S. Despite Utopia, I might still choose Sonett through HD800S as my current favorite sound (of things I own - Gold into Utopia definitely tops that).

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #145 of 197
Arrrgg, I really would love to join the meet.
Unfortunately, Sunday's aren't good for me
frown.gif

I've been quiet on headfi for a while since there have been quite a few changes to my gear (was busy comparing and enjoying recent purchases).
I would have loved to bring mine over and test it against the many amazing gears you guys always manage to bring to the meets.

I hope everyone has a great time~
Guess I'll just have to look forward to the next meet.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #146 of 197

1. You can bring as many or as few pieces as you wish. Most people bring a whole setup but it's not required.
2. Most bring a laptop or tablet for a source, and the library has wifi if you want to stream. Sometimes people bring CD players, DAP's, etc.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #147 of 197
I was stoked on coming but completely forgot that the ol' lady is working this weekend which means I'm on baby duty. I don't think an audio meet is the best place to bring a 1.5 year old...

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #148 of 197
Looks like there's going to be an amazing collection of gear. Have been looking forward to this for months, but a good friend was just hospitalized and I'm filling in for her all day Sunday on a project.
frown.gif
Hope everyone has a great time and I'll schedule a winter meet soon.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #149 of 197

I forget how tiny this thing is. I could bring it (practically in my back pocket).

But during burn-in, it can only be used balanced (otherwise you end up burning in half the amplifier). So unless you happened to snag those $1700 balanced cables for for the Utopia, you'd have to use your LCD-X to listen.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #150 of 197
I forget how tiny this thing is. I could bring it (practically in my back pocket).

But during burn-in, it can only be used balanced (otherwise you end up burning in half the amplifier). So unless you happened to snag those $1700 balanced cables for for the Utopia, you'd have to use your LCD-X to listen.

The LCD-X is a suitable workaround. #FirstWorldProblems :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back