DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #151 of 190
Hi everyone!

Looks like I'll be able to make this meet. I'm going to be bring my modest head-fi setup:

Alessandro MS-1
CIAudio VHP-1 / VAC-1
Ayre C-5xeMP

Tom Unger, proprietor of Gifted Listener Audio in Centreville, VA, was kind enough to let me borrow a PonoPlayer for the meet! I'm pretty excited to get to listen to it. I might have to hook it up to my stereo first, though... to really put it through its paces. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #152 of 190
Hi everyone!

Looks like I'll be able to make this meet. I'm going to be bring my modest head-fi setup:

Alessandro MS-1
CIAudio VHP-1 / VAC-1
Ayre C-5xeMP

Tom Unger, proprietor of Gifted Listener Audio in Centreville, VA, was kind enough to let me borrow a PonoPlayer for the meet! I'm pretty excited to get to listen to it. I might have to hook it up to my stereo first, though... to really put it through its paces. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Cool

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #153 of 190
I was just at Gifted Listener auditioning some Vandersteens. Tom made it a point to show me the Pono while I was there, but I never got a chance to listen to it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #154 of 190
I was just at Gifted Listener auditioning some Vandersteens. Tom made it a point to show me the Pono while I was there, but I never got a chance to listen to it.

It seems the Pono is rarer than hen's teeth - the official website puts its release date in Q1 2015. I wonder if it's the actual final production (or close to it) with the Ayre electronics.

How did you like the Vandersteens?

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #155 of 190
Thinking about joining the meet. Relatively new to the head-fi community.

Funny I'm reading about Gifted Listener in Chantilly. I stopped by their about a month ago and picked up my first Grado's. The SR80e, they are what opened my mind and ultimately my wallet to the head-fi world.

For now I’ve got the following I can bring:
Schiit Vali
Schiit Modi
Schiit Asgard 2
ATH-M50s
SR80e
HD-600
RHA MA750 IEM's

Pretty entry level stuff compared to you guys but would love to meet some local head-fires.

I also have a pair of HD600 brand new in box (never opened) I'm trying to sell if anyone is interested.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #157 of 190

It seems the Pono is rarer than hen's teeth - the official website puts its release date in Q1 2015. I wonder if it's the actual final production (or close to it) with the Ayre electronics.

How did you like the Vandersteens?

Its funny, the reason he showed me it was because I mentioned I liked the Ayre QB-9.  The one he showed me said "Electronics by Ayre" on boot up.

So I went in hoping to listen to the Vandersteen Model 2, but he only had the 1 and 4 (which is out of my budget).  So he recommended the Magneplan 1.7, which were nice enough, I mainly liked how they looked.  So I asked to listen to the Vandersteen Model 1 and was very much impressed.  Very well balanced, and full sounding...I had to remind myself it was only a 2 way speaker!

But I'm pretty new to speakers.  I'm debating whether to jump in and build a speaker system around the Vandersteens, or upgrade my headphone setup/get into electrostatics.  Saturdays meet will likely determine that.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #158 of 190
Its funny, the reason he showed me it was because I mentioned I liked the Ayre QB-9.  The one he showed me said "Electronics by Ayre" on boot up.

So I went in hoping to listen to the Vandersteen Model 2, but he only had the 1 and 4 (which is out of my budget).  So he recommended the Magneplane 1.7, which were nice enough, I mainly liked how they looked.  So I asked to listen to the Vandersteen Model 1 and was very much impressed.  Very well balanced, and full sounding...I had to remind myself it was only a 2 way speaker!

But I'm pretty new to speakers.  I'm debating whether to jump in and build a speaker system around the Vandersteens, or upgrade my headphone setup/get into electrostatics.  Saturdays meet will likely determine that.

Real audiophiles do both (Kidding of course)!

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #160 of 190

So I went in hoping to listen to the Vandersteen Model 2, but he only had the 1 and 4 (which is out of my budget).  So he recommended the Magneplan 1.7, which were nice enough, I mainly liked how they looked.  So I asked to listen to the Vandersteen Model 1 and was very much impressed.  Very well balanced, and full sounding...I had to remind myself it was only a 2 way speaker!

Years ago I listened to the Vandersteen model 1's, liked them a lot. Then listened to the 2Ci, just for fun, wasn't going to ever spend that much. Hmm. I bought the 2Ci.
I dig my headphones of course but I'd pick my speakers/stereo over them if I was forced to choose. YMMV.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #161 of 190
Real audiophiles do both (Kidding of course)!

Get both is always the only answer.
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #162 of 190
Years ago I listened to the Vandersteen model 1's, liked them a lot. Then listened to the 2Ci, just for fun, wasn't going to ever spend that much. Hmm. I bought the 2Ci.
I dig my headphones of course but I'd pick my speakers/stereo over them if I was forced to choose. YMMV.

I'm spending more time away from my desk and working while listening to music through my home theater system, so I'm really considering jumping in and putting together a quality stereo system...though I would love to hear some Model 2's.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #165 of 190

I'm spending more time away from my desk and working while listening to music through my home theater system, so I'm really considering jumping in and putting together a quality stereo system...though I would love to hear some Model 2's.

It's funny - he had the Model 2ce Signature II's on demo when I wanted to listen to some Vandersteen's, but no Treo (which is what I was interested in). I liked the 2ce Sig II's so much I actually moved up one notch to the 3A Sig's. I've no regrets, but I think I would've been just as happy with the Model 2's. If you like the Model 1's, I'm fairly certain you'll like the Model 2's - it would be an excellent choice, not to mention one of the best values in hi-fi.

Have you been out to Evolution Audio / Video in Falls Church? They have PSB, Paradigm, and Totem on hand - would be good for comparison purposes. I listened to both the PSB Synchrony and Paradigm Signature line there before I settled on the Vandersteens.

I also hear good things about Deja Vu Audio, but have never visited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back