DC Area Head-Fi Meet Planning (ongoing)
Jul 26, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #346 of 412
There is a community center in Fairfax that we can rent for $20.00 a day and 30 days notice in advance. If we have 3 or 4 people co- sponsor the event then it will be $5.00 per person or we can charge $2.00 per attendee.
I will check out the available later today and let your guys know.

Mott Community Center​

Website
Directions
Save
4.329 Google reviews

Community center in Fairfax County, Virginia

Address: 12111 Braddock Rd, Fairfax, VA 22030

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #347 of 412
Thanks Ken.

Vienna Community Center, and yes there is free parking and there's a little access lane where you can pull up more or less right in front, although having some dollys to take equipment to the room we'd use would be a smart idea. It looks like for 3 hours, which would feel about right time-wise (although I have also been to 4hr meets) is $375. So it would really need to have 20 or more people to avoid people shelling out greater than $20. Perhaps though since this is a public gathering open to all, and not private, it could be considered in a different category?

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #348 of 412
There is a community center in Fairfax that we can rent for $20.00 a day and 30 days notice in advance. If we have 3 or 4 people co- sponsor the event then it will be $5.00 per person or we can charge $2.00 per attendee.
I will check out the available later today and let your guys know.

Mott Community Center​

Website
Directions
Save
4.329 Google reviews

Community center in Fairfax County, Virginia

Address: 12111 Braddock Rd, Fairfax, VA 22030
This sounds like a much better deal than what I found haha. I'm in if I don't have a conflict!

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #349 of 412
Thanks Ken.

Vienna Community Center, and yes there is free parking and there's a little access lane where you can pull up more or less right in front, although having some dollys to take equipment to the room we'd use would be a smart idea. It looks like for 3 hours, which would feel about right time-wise (although I have also been to 4hr meets) is $375. So it would really need to have 20 or more people to avoid people shelling out greater than $20. Perhaps though since this is a public gathering open to all, and not private, it could be considered in a different category?
Note that setup and takedown may take more time than you think. Also, never underestimate the need for schmoozing among members of this community. That said, I'd hope to find a better price... maybe from a library.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #350 of 412
Note that setup and takedown may take more time than you think. Also, never underestimate the need for schmoozing among members of this community. That said, I'd hope to find a better price... maybe from a library.
I should really look at the Brambleton Public library out by me. It may take me a few days but let me see what I can find out.

Excerpt from the following page, https://library.loudoun.gov/Brambleton:

Meeting rooms are available free of charge for public use and can be reserved up to 60 days in advance. Please refer to the Meeting Room Guidelines for more information. Audio-visual equipment is available in each meeting room. Click here to reserve a meeting room.

• Meeting Room A seats 150 people
  • Meeting Room B seats 18 people
A variety of private study rooms (Rooms A-F) and small group study rooms (Rooms X, Y, Z and the Teen Area study room) are available for drop-in use on a first-come, first-served basis.

https://library.loudoun.gov/Portals/0/LCPL-Policies-2021-Addendum A.pdf

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #352 of 412
My mistake, i just confirmed the rent at the Mott Community Center is $18.00 an hour. Not $20.00 for the whole day.
Still, a great deal. You figure 30 min set up and 30 min tear down, and a 4hr meet, so 5hrs at $90. Get 10 people and we’re at $10 per person, I’m confident that folks (including myself) would fill in the gap if need be.

Let’s keep the momentum going. What kind of advance reservation do you need? Summer is tough since kids are out of school and people are on vacation, so I’m going to selfishly toss out September 9th 2023, since I’m available that date lol. Plus that means kids are back in school, and it gives time to drum up interest, but it’s not too soon either.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #353 of 412
I did fill out the paperwork on the 8/26/23 for the room with 40 people capacity with plenty space for parking and easy access, but later found out that my daughter has a soccer game on that day so i deleted and re posted the rate.

I will check back for Sept, we only need to deposit $90.00 for 5 hours to reserve the room.

Jul 27, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #355 of 412
Alright y'all, let's get it going! In order to get a sense of if the date will work, by a show of hands, who would be able to/want to attend a meet on Saturday, September 9th, 2023 (9/9/23)? This would be in Fairfax, VA at Mott Community Center, time TBD but likely 10-2pm or 12-4pm. Depending on attendees, there might be a small attendance fee of $5-$10 to recoup rental cost.

Feel free to either post or like this message. Looking to get 10+! Thanks to @VanHai for finding the spot.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #356 of 412
Alright y'all, let's get it going! In order to get a sense of if the date will work, by a show of hands, who would be able to/want to attend a meet on Saturday, September 9th, 2023 (9/9/23)? This would be in Fairfax, VA at Mott Community Center, time TBD but likely 10-2pm or 12-4pm. Depending on attendees, there might be a small attendance fee of $5-$10 to recoup rental cost.

Feel free to either post or like this message. Looking to get 10+! Thanks to @VanHai for finding the spot.

Would be interested!

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #357 of 412
We got four! Let's keep it going

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #360 of 412
Sorry guys, I just checked with the Center and 9/9/23 is not available.

September 30 is available, but we need to do it quickly so I can reverse the room.
Is this space better than simply going to a library? Library is free and they have rooms for the size of group we may be going for.

I don’t mean to make things more complicated. If the other space is already being planned, go for it on the 9/30 date as stated.

I’ll attend in any case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back