DC Area Head-Fi Meet - April 15, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 67
@gandhisfist

Do you know if there is Wi-Fi available in there? 

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 67
I have a large list of headphones I could bring but would love to attend with my Denon D5000s and IE80s. Also my first meet, but check through my profile if any other phones are of interest. My amplification/DAC collection is a bit lacking but would love to try out some of what I see (Schiit!)

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 67
I'll be there with my usual Modi 2U -> Asgard 2 -> HD 650 rig.
  I'm going to kick this off, the slightly quirky way I like to do. I'm going to bring a decent amplifier and headphone. But I'm going to provide three different sources, for your listening pleasure (or displeasure if you don't like to have choice). Each of the three DACs will be priced within $100 of one another, and are basically the entry level examples of FPGA, D/S and R2R from each of the respective well-known companies. I'll have all three running from the same source music. I can even volume match, if anyone cares to assist with this, as the FPGA and D/S DACs both have variable output level, down to a half dB on the D/S:

1. Chord Mojo
  2. Eddie Current Zana Deux Super
  3. Focal Utopia
  4. Grace Design m9xx
  5. Schiit Bifrost Multibit

My guess is in the end, you could pick any of the three, and call it a day. But we'll see!

The Bifrost Multibit -> Eddie Current ZDS should sound great. Bimby tends to have great synergy with OTLs. Could I possibly check the various filters on the Grace m9XX if time permits? I'm sort of curious as to the perceivable frequency response (well tonal) differences between each as I only noticed the staging and timbre when I had a loaner of it.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #19 of 67
  The Bifrost Multibit -> Eddie Current ZDS should sound great. Bimby tends to have great synergy with OTLs. Could I possibly check the various filters on the Grace m9XX if time permits? I'm sort of curious as to the perceivable frequency response (well tonal) differences between each as I only noticed the staging and timbre when I had a loaner of it.

I'm definitely hoping to have time to properly experience and experiment with the three DACs. I just hope to get these on as equal footing as possible. I just ordered a smaller UPS to bring the Bimby to the meet. I'm using F2 filter on the m9xx, but would definitely love to hear other people's insights on what the differences are between the four filter options.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 67
  I'm definitely hoping to have time to properly experience and experiment with the three DACs. I just hope to get these on as equal footing as possible. I just ordered a smaller UPS to bring the Bimby to the meet. I'm using F2 filter on the m9xx, but would definitely love to hear other people's insights on what the differences are between the four filter options.

The one thing I would be concerned about is an OTL tube amp stamping its OTL bass on the sound from DACs with bass issues. Ryu's Speedball Crack fixed all the major bass issues with the Bifrost Multibit. One thing that would be interesting is to compare them to a relatively neutralish solid state (ie something not the Liquid Carbon) say the Grace as a combo unit to the Grace as merely a DAC.

F2 Might have some roll off but is linear phase. I am not sure as as Grace wrote their own filters but the stock AKM ones definitely roll off according to the RME ADI-2 Pro manual (see page 72. The short delay are the minimum phase ones and the super slow is the "NOS" one as explained on the next page.): https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2pro_e.pdf

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #21 of 67
Well, I'm not going to add a Speedball Crack update to my Zana Deux 
wink_face.gif

I do agree though, having a stable and single-ended amplifier is a good call. Only it will need to wait, for me, until Massdrop can send what Tyll and company recommend. I'll bring the Arcam rHead to the May 20 meet.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 67
  Date : Saturday, April 15, 2017
Time: 1pm to 5pm

WOW Made Simple / Bethesda Systems
8125 Wisconsin Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814

Hi Everyone,

As always, everyone is welcome and you can bring any equipment you like, but you don't need to bring gear.

Please post the list of the gear you can bring, and don't forget your extension cords, power strips, and adapters.

Meet Rules

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. If you can have the five songs listed below on your system--it'll help everyone audition unfamiliar gear.

Funny how this is only a few blocks away from JS Audio where I got my Dynaudio speakers. What I wouldn't give to either bring some Contour C20 or C30 speakers to the HP meet or bring some Schiit over to JS Audio. Now that ain't ever gonna happen.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #24 of 67
I plan to come if wife approves lol.

I may even be able to bring a Black Mimby.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #25 of 67
Apr 11, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #26 of 67
It seems both my pieces of headphone gear are being brought ( Bifrost Multibit and the Bottlehead Crack) so I will just bring my Modded HD650 and my Campfire Audio Vega. Can't wait for another great meet!

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #27 of 67
  It seems both my pieces of headphone gear are being brought ( Bifrost Multibit and the Bottlehead Crack) so I will just bring my Modded HD650 and my Campfire Audio Vega. Can't wait for another great meet!

Each Crack can sound different. I think there's still good reason to bring Crack and Bimby stack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back