DC Area Head-Fi Meet and End-of-Summer SchiitStorm! - August 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland!

Will you come with equipment and will you be joining us for Dinner/Happy hour afterwards?

• Just coming to check out all of the goodies, no dinner/happy hour for me.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Just coming to check out all of the goodies and will be coming to dinner/happy hour, too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bringing my own gear, but no dinner/happy hour for me.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Bringing my own gear and will be coming to the dinner/happy hour, too!

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

PJABBER

100+ Head-Fier
In accordance with Head-Fi forum protocol, the below event was held (with great success!) and comments and impressions will now be open in a new thread here -

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dc-...017-gaithersburg-maryland-impressions.857766/

Thanks to Schiit, iFi Audio and AGPtek for sponsoring and supporting what turned out to be a terrific get together of the Head-Fi Mid-Atlantic audiophile community!

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F33231627%2F7165283325%2F1%2Foriginal.jpg

Graphic Credit: ClieOS

DC Area Head-Fi Meet and End-of-Summer SchiitStorm! - August 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland!

Come join Washington DC/Maryland/Virginia members of HeadFi.org and local headphone enthusiasts for an afternoon of auditioning and friendly conversation!

This free event is open to all who have an interest in headphone audio. No equipment is required to attend but, as always, participants are welcome to bring their own sources, headphones, amps, DACs, and other accessories.

The meet will feature a SchiitKit - a table of equipment made (and generously provided) by Schiit (schiit.com), a company famous for excellent sound and excellent value. Participants will be able to audition most of the Schiit product line with their own music and headphones or even compare their own stack (DAC and amp) with similar ones made by Schiit.

After the meet, participants are invited to join us for a happy hour and dinner at a local restaurant - Thai Tanium in the Kentlands.

Please post what equipment you are bringing in this thread and then register on Eventbrite so that we can get an advance count of attendees -

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dc-area-head-fi-meet-and-end-of-summer-schiitstorm-tickets-36208826575

Here’s the detail…

Date: Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 12:00 - 6:00 p.m., optional happy hour and dinner follows

Cost: Free and open to the audiophile public

Kentlands Clubhouse
485 Tschiffely Square Rd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20878

The Kentlands Clubhouse is wheelchair accessible and has male and female restrooms that are also wheelchair accessible. The building is smoke-free, please dispose of any trash you might have in the provided bins. While we will have a number of chairs available for attendees, this is a standing event where you will want to move around the meeting room to experience all of the equipment on display.

Directions:

KENTLANDS CLUBHOUSE – 485 Tschiffely Square Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/485+Tschiffely+Square+Rd,+Gaithersburg,+MD+20878

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//485-Tschiffely-Square-Rd,-Gaithersburg,-MD-20878,-USA

Parking: Plenty of free street parking is available in the immediate area, please don't park in any spot that has Reserved signage - those spots are for residents only and you might be ticketed/towed if you park there.

Internet Access: Free wireless Internet access is available. Speed should be sufficient for everyone's moderate/email use but not for multiple concurrent streaming video applications.

Electricity: Twelve (12) double outlets are available in the meeting room itself. If you are bringing A/C powered devices, please bring your own power strips.

Tables and Chairs: The room is stocked with a number of heavy load bearing tables and we expect to also have two heavy duty 8-foot folding tables and 30 folding wooden chairs. If you have heavier or bulkier equipment consider that the coffee tables will have the most comfortable lounge seating.

Event Schedule:

12:00 - 1:00 p.m. - Equipment setup. Bring your favorite audio devices to display and to offer attendees a chance to try out with their own headphones! If you need A/C power, please bring your own power strips!

You can park for a few minutes in front of the Clubhouse entrance to unload equipment but once equipment is unloaded, please park in either the parking lot or in one of the many street parking spots in the neighborhood.

1:00 - 1:30 p.m - Opening remarks and self-introduction of attendees, you are encouraged to describe the equipment you brought to the meet!

1:30 - 5:00 p.m. - Open listening sessions, feel free to walk around, chat, test out the available equipment.

5:00 p.m. - Closing remarks, quick discussion of options for a next Meet.

5:00 - 5:30 p.m. - Pack up your equipment and walk or drive to the Thai Tanium restaurant for Happy Hour and Dinner!

5:30 - 7:30 p.m. - After Event Happy Hour and Dinner (at your own cost) @Thai Tanium - join your new and old friends to share a drink and tell some tall tales!

Location: Thai Tanium Restaurant, 657 Center Point Way (Kentlands Market Square, next to movie theater,) Gaithersburg, MD 20878

http://www.thaitaniumrestaurant.com

Directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Thai+Tanium+Restaurant,+657+Center+Point+Way,+Gaithersburg,+MD+20878

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix/Thai-Tanium,-657-Center-Point-Way,-Gaithersburg,-MD-20878,-USA

Please don't forget to register at Eventbrite so that we know you will be joining us!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dc-area-head-fi-meet-and-end-of-summer-schiitstorm-tickets-36208826575

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 69
Woot, I might actually be able to make this one, it's been a while...

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 69
9964972.jpg
9964973.jpg
9964974.jpg

These are photos of the Kentlands Clubhouse area we will be using, about 1300 square feet in total.

There is a parking roundabout right by the entrance so that you can easily bring equipment in. The immediately adjacent parking area doesn't have a lot of spaces so you will likely have to use the plentiful free street parking around the building once you drop off any equipment. Please don't use any parking spaces that are marked RESERVED for residents, you will be ticketed or towed by Gaithersburg city police if you do!

The event space and separate male and female restrooms are all on the same level floor as the front entrance, no steps to deal with.

Equipment can be set up on the various tables you see in the photos and we will have some larger heavy duty folding tables as well, similar to the tables we had at the Carriage House Meet. We have thirty wood folding chairs that can be set up for impromptu seating as required.

The large LCD TV and podium are available if anyone would like to offer a more formal AV presentation.

Please bring power strips/conditioners for your equipment!

We do have free WiFi, but it likely won't be fast enough for video streaming apps. Tidal worked fine in testing but throughput depends on how many people are on at the same time.

There is plenty of roof or umbrella covered outdoor seating for having lunch and drinks. The Clubhouse has a snack bar selling inexpensive single serve pizza, hot dogs, chips, ice cream, soda, juice and the like until 4:00 p.m. right by where you see the outside tables with the umbrellas. I suggest meals and drinks be kept in the outdoor area, if weather permits, to expedite cleanup after the meet.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 69
I will tentatively say "I can make it," but something might come up.

If I do come, I will have a Modi MB/Magni 2 U stack, a pair of T70's, and maybe some DIY staxes. Also maybe a DIY OTL amp (it currently hummmmmms at 60hz).

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 69
Haven't been to a meet in a number of years, but I might stop by.

If I make it I will bring at least my HD600s, Bottlehead Crack, Cambridge Audio DACMagic, O2. Might bring a Denon CN-C680 CD player as transport, or just a laptop.

Any new acquisitions might come around too.

Not going to commit yet, but I'll keep this post here to remind myself.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 69
I really like the specs on the Pro iCAN. Interested to see how it sounds.
iFi Audio (http://ifi-audio.com) is going to send us some of their gear to demo.

I am expecting one Pro iCAN tube + solid state headphone amp + line stage as well as TWO of their battery powered Micro iDSD Black Label DACs with built-in headphone amp.

Sweet!

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 69
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 69
If people want to hear an alternative pile of Black Sch...I mean electronics, here's what I am planning to bring:
  • Eddie Current ZDS
  • Schiit Yggdrasil
I'll probably bring a couple headphones too, once I figure things out :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 69
Oo, looking forward to hearing the widow also.
If people want to hear an alternative pile of Black Sch...I mean electronics, here's what I am planning to bring:
  • Cavalli Liquid Glass
  • Eddie Current Black Widow
  • Schiit Yggdrasil
I'll probably bring a couple headphones too :relaxed:

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 69
So, went to the Pittsburgh meet and had a blast, and I'll be bringing the same set up, but I should be getting my O2 amp soon to pair with my t50rp's. I can't wait to see everyone at this event again since it's been since November since I made it to a DC area meet. I'll be bringing:
modded m50x (I'm ashamed of myself)
SHP9500
t50rp (zmf pads and strap)
fiio e10k
Objective O2 (hopefully)
I hope it'll be a schiit-GREAT time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back