DBA-02 Vs. Munitio Teknines
Jan 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #61 of 78
depends what turbine you have. If you have coppers then its probably not worth it unless if you reallllyy like the sound signature for the munitos. and for that you would have to try the munitos (a burned in pair). On the other hand if you have the monster turbine golds then you should find the munitos as a noticable improvement, whether its worth the money really depends on how much the $100-150 is to you. If you have the basic monster turbines and any desire to really improve your listening experience (because IMO the basic monster turbines are crap... especially compared to the munitos) then its definitely worth to upgrade. thats my 2 cents at least. post what you like and dont like about your turbines and then someone who has the munitos will really be able to give you a better perspective.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #62 of 78
I have the regular turbines. It's not anything I don't like about them, I just sorta had higher expectations in the clarity department. I thought the highs and mids would be a little more clear, I suppose. I do enjoy the bass, it's better than my old skullcandies. I feel it may be clouding up the rest of the low end, though. The fit of the turbines also give me headaches. They keep slipping out, even after I get a good seal. How is the seal/comfort on the munitios?

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #63 of 78
Ill try to answer on as many points as I can for you. The munitos NEED a burn in of at least 15 hours. If you listen to them out of the box they will sound overpowered. So if you really want to be impressed by them resist the urge to try them wen you get them (which i dont think anyone can do) and burn them in at about half volume for 15 hours.

The basic turbines have a "thump" to them but they fall short on the "thunderous" powerful sounding bass. The munitos on the other hand really have "thunderous, monstrous" sounding bass which after burn in does not overpower the mids or highs. In fact the highs are crystally clear and the mids have alot of impact. Alot of people (especially in the car audio world) try to get speakers that are "loud" and rattle their whole car and make them unable to distinguish anything but the bass in their music. You will not get this from the munitos. Like a quality set of subwoofers in a dynomatted (insulated) car, the munitos have thunderous impact but no distortion. Their sound signature is also very warm and very "full" it feels like there is no wasted frequency when you listen to them but the clarity is still there which is impressive and very to my liking and auditory preference. I let one of my friends try them out and his response was "woah i feel like Im in a different world listening to those, the completeness of the sound almost feels like an out of body experience"

Comfort. The cord is very light so it doesnt feel like the buds are being pulled when you go running. (I run 8-10 miles daily and this was always an issue for me when I had other buds with heavy cords) The seal is impeccable. It isolates outside noise exceptionally well (enough to scare me that I might get hit by a car I dont notice) and the stay in. Like I said I run alot and they have never slipped out yet. Most importantly though, I can play my music on full volume (which with the munitos is LOUD) and I get no ear fatigue, or ringing even after over an hour of running with them that way.

Thing about the turbines, like the Dre's is that they are marketed heavily. So people get very high expectations from them and if they have a tuned ear or expected amazing things, when they buy them they are let down. This enables monster (the company) to put a shiny finish on the product and sell the buds at an inflated price to a broad range of customers lining up to dish out alot of money. Don't get me wrong, the turbines are a good headphone but at the price they are sold there are cheaper, better alternatives. The cool design of the munitos had actually almost scared me off from buying them because it made me think that maybe they were more for show than performance but after buying them I am very glad.

Hearing your description of the turbines I think you would be very satisfied and surprised with the munitos if you get them. Let us know if you do and your impressions!

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #64 of 78
Thanks for the feedback. Are the mid/highs better with the munitios or turbines? I didn't pay full price with the turbines, got em refurb during the holiday sale. I might buy the munitios since they're on sale. I'm mainly concerned with the mids/highs, I like bass, but it isn't the only thing I look for in an earphone.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #65 of 78
the Turbines sound more "forward" or "bright" because the sound is a bit thinner and the treble a little harsher.  I've A/B'd with the Turbines and agree with what kujo said above.  The Turbines have decent bass (it sounds loud but boomy) but the Munitios have REAL sub bass, deep and extended without being flabby.  It's like upgrading from the $100 cheapo Sony 8" sub that makes one-note farts for every bass thump, and switching to a real high-end subwoofer that can hit clean with low distortion but still having significantly more output. 

IMHO the Munitios also have significantly better highs... the treble is very smooth and detailed while being non-fatiguing.  At first impression you might not notice because the bass is so deep and powerful, but as kujo said once they burn in and you get used to the sound you notice how sweet the treble is. 

If you find the bass a bit too much a little EQ tweak will open them right up too.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #66 of 78
I ordered mine a few days ago, they will come by Feb. 13 (I guess thats what I get for buying a 160 dollar pair of earphones for 6 dollars (I had credit on Jackthreads)). 

After all the good things people are saying about them, I cannot wait to hear them!

Sweet design + excellent performance = happy oldsoulrevival

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #67 of 78
Quote:
I ordered mine a few days ago, they will come by Feb. 13 (I guess thats what I get for buying a 160 dollar pair of earphones for 6 dollars (I had credit on Jackthreads)). 

After all the good things people are saying about them, I cannot wait to hear them!

Sweet design + excellent performance = happy oldsoulrevival

Same place I planned on ordering from, do these give you everything included like the other size tips and what not?

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #68 of 78
Everything I have ever order from them comes with everything a normal vendor includes. Jackthreads is VERY legit. I use them all the time. The case, the rubber ear pieces, etc. will all be included.

They say I should receive mine by Feb. 13th, which is fine with me. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #72 of 78

Quote:
Quote:

So SAD!

I was expecting more from the teknines......and i ORDERED THEM!

Well, don't be too disappointed just yet. Like he said, they are not HIS personal favorite, but "For someone after the type of smooth and powerful sound offered by the Munitios, however, they may just be worth their weight in gold." I just got mine in the mail. Yes, they will need some burning in, however, I purchased these specifically for hip hop, and I can tell you that already these sound pretty great for hip hop and rap.Frankly, they work really well for bands in ALL genres, but they seem to be very "band specific" - some bands' mixing just doesnt work well with them right now, but others work WONDERFULLY.

Joker even said he DOES enjoy the headphones, so don't be put off by what one person said, but also dont be sold on them either. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice they sound with certain music and not with others.

Bands that sound really good with them so far:
The Roots
Modest Mouse (kind of surprised me how good they sound on these)
Aphex Twin
Crystal Method
Mylo
The Pharcyde
mim0sa
Shpongle
The Notorious BIG
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Delorean
A Tribe Called Quest
Deftones
The American Dollar

Also know, the clarity and bass presence is really dependent on how far in your stick the ear phones, play around with the depth till you find the right place.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #73 of 78

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So SAD!

I was expecting more from the teknines......and i ORDERED THEM!

Well, don't be too disappointed just yet. Like he said, they are not HIS personal favorite, but "For someone after the type of smooth and powerful sound offered by the Munitios, however, they may just be worth their weight in gold." I just got mine in the mail. Yes, they will need some burning in, however, I purchased these specifically for hip hop, and I can tell you that already these sound pretty great for hip hop and rap.Frankly, they work really well for bands in ALL genres, but they seem to be very "band specific" - some bands' mixing just doesnt work well with them right now, but others work WONDERFULLY.

Joker even said he DOES enjoy the headphones, so don't be put off by what one person said, but also dont be sold on them either. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice they sound with certain music and not with others.

Bands that sound really good with them so far:
The Roots
Modest Mouse (kind of surprised me how good they sound on these)
Aphex Twin
Crystal Method
Mylo
The Pharcyde
mim0sa
Shpongle
The Notorious BIG
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Delorean
A Tribe Called Quest
Deftones
The American Dollar

Also know, the clarity and bass presence is really dependent on how far in your stick the ear phones, play around with the depth till you find the right place.

Oh pretty disappointed by them on first listen without burn-in.
So muddy I want to puke!

You know, i like the mids and highs, reasonably clear and articulate, but completely over-layered by the bass.
I much prefer my Silver Bullets even without burn-in.

I'm hoping the terribly bloated bass gets DRAMATICALLY better after burn-in.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #74 of 78

Quote:
Oh pretty disappointed by them on first listen without burn-in.
So muddy I want to puke!

You know, i like the mids and highs, reasonably clear and articulate, but completely over-layered by the bass.
I much prefer my Silver Bullets even without burn-in.

I'm hoping the terribly bloated bass gets DRAMATICALLY better after burn-in.

After about 20 or so hours of burn in, they are DEFINITELY less muddy. However, I still find that to get them to sound how I like, I had to do a slight treble lift. Nothing too much; just enough to bring the treble out a little bit. 

Again, these aren't/won't be my every day headphones, but when I want some extra thickness and punch, I'll use them. I rather enjoy them right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back