Daylight saving time: the whole concept of moving time is a rip off!
Mar 11, 2008 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
mad.gif
Daylight saving time is just another way to get more money out of our pockets, seriously. how can a human screw with time?

it was started for keeping energy costs down, yet has there ever been proof of this? these days more daylight we have to our selves also means more spending, like on gas for example..we can bitch about gas prices but every year we just set them clocks up and think we are getting a deal out of it...

"more sunlight": ********! the sun does not care what pretty little time your clock says, the sun will naturally stay out longer in the summer months compared to the winter months.

why do we move our clocks back an hour? seriously..if we didn't move them back then in theory we would also gain an hour of sunlight in the winter months no? according how the morons who believe in day light savings time think...

day light savings time = Valentines day. created just to get more money out of our pockets with no real meaning.

my rant is over, now i have to set my watches ahead....
mad.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 34
Bah, thank Congress for moving this thing so it start one month before it usually does for the sake of "saving energy."
rolleyes.gif

I personally haven't been that affected by it lately, even though I've been getting 1-2 hours less of sleep than I did before DST, even with the +1 hour thing factored in.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif
Daylight saving time is just another way to get more money out of our pockets, seriously....

it was started for keeping energy costs down, yet has there ever been proof of this?

A recent study suggests that DST costs extra energy.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 34
It was my understanding that DST was actually begun by the federal government during WWI to get more work out of folks. But it's by no means universal. AZ, for example, has never gone in for DST. The lastest extension was ostensibly for energy savings, but the initial studies out of Indiana seem to indicate that the extension has backfired. Imagine that: something the government rushed in without apporpriate consideration having unintended consequences. Go figure.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was my understanding that DST was actually begun by the federal government during WWI to get more work out of folks.

Nope, earlier than that!

Quote:

The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin (portrait at right) during his sojourn as an American delegate in Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." Read more about Franklin's essay.
Some of Franklin's friends, inventors of a new kind of oil lamp, were so taken by the scheme that they continued corresponding with Franklin even after he returned to America.
The idea was first advocated seriously by London builder William Willett (1857-1915) in the pamphlet, "Waste of Daylight" (1907), that proposed advancing clocks 20 minutes on each of four Sundays in April, and retarding them by the same amount on four Sundays in September. As he was taking an early morning a ride through Petts Wood, near Croydon, Willett was struck by the fact that the blinds of nearby houses were closed, even though the sun was fully risen. When questioned as to why he didn't simply get up an hour earlier, Willett replied with typical British humor, "What?" In his pamphlet "The Waste of Daylight" he wrote:
"Everyone appreciates the long, light evenings. Everyone laments their shortage as Autumn approaches; and everyone has given utterance to regret that the clear, bright light of an early morning during Spring and Summer months is so seldom seen or used."

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 34
Daylight Savings Time was created to make me feel groggy in the morning.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 34
Move to Arizona. The sane folk there reject DST and stay on the same time year round.

I have never seen a coherent or rational explanation for why we stay with DST. Never. It's always some "ye olde quainte historie" tradition crap.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 34
I would have to agree with the theme of this thread. Why don't we just move to daylight savings time permanently, and have that be the end of it? That seems to be where we're headed. I would be fine with keeping it at standard time all year round as well.

The worst state to contend with was Indiana. Some portions of the state used daylight savings time, and other portions didn't. To make matters worse, there is a time zone change in the state, so you might have had three different time zones to contend with in one state (CST, CDT = EST, EDT). Apparently, this was rectified in 2006, and now the whole state goes to daylight savings time.

As an actuary, I should mention that traffic accidents go up significantly the Monday after DST begins. As far as I know, there is not an offsetting decline in accidents after DST ends.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 34
As a business in IN, it would kill me when IN didn't go to DST. When the OH guys wanted me at a job by 8 am, I had to leave my house at 6am or earlier. I would charge overtime pay if work was needed between 6pm and 8am. I would loose because they were an hour ahead. Of course, when they wanted me there at 6-7am, they would whine about it because that was their starting time for work and that they shouldn't be charged the overtime. I did loose customers because of the issue. Now, I am a bit more flexible with good customers and the same time zone makes it easier on me.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... As an actuary, I should mention that traffic accidents go up significantly the Monday after DST begins. As far as I know, there is not an offsetting decline in accidents after DST ends.

As a similarly quantitatively-minded engineer, it seems odd to me that there would not be an offsetting decline--are you saying that accidents go up due to more folks commuting to work in the dark on that particular Monday, but that there isn't an increase in accidents on the first Monday after the return to Standard Time, when more people drive back home in the dark?

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a business in IN, it would kill me when IN didn't go to DST...

But didn't the counties near Cincinnati and Louisville "informally" observe DST for a few years?

I live in far NW Indiana, just 30 mi from downtown Chicago, so we've always observed Daylight Time (as they have down near Evansville.) My father-in-law lives in Elkhart, and that area was just as messed up as yours, because a lot of employees lived in MI and didn't like getting off work at 6 PM Michigan time because Elkhart stayed on Standard Time.

My sister lives in suburban Indy, and we got used to the fact that all of our extended families throughout the state were on the same time during the summer, when we did most of the traveling to visit.

However, I had no idea that the counties just north of Louisville were informally (maybe?) observing EDT and ended up getting there an hour late for something back around 2000 or 2001, as I recall.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 34
Makes absolutely no sense. If there was a demand for the time shift, businesses would just change their hours to 8-4 in the summer, which is effectively what they are forced to do by DST. Moving the actual time scale is the one of the stupidest things in ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back