DAW-Fi ?
May 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 11
I tried Ableton Live at a time when I was used to more straightforward multitrack software like CEP and Sonar. The power of Live won me over in a way that I was not expecting.

Since then I've tried to get into Garageband and Logic but just couldn't get a feel for them. I did manage to start and finish a project in Garageband, but I did not enjoy it. I'd really like to get used to that Apple UI though, much like I'd like to be proficient with ProTools, but the likelihood of that is slim because I have less time and patience for screwing around with music than ever. If anything I'll open Live again just because I know how to get results without re-learning my workflow.

May 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Steinberg Cubase Elements 6 64-bit. Was using Sony Acid Music Studio, but it's limited sample rate and bit depth (48khz/16 bit max) became a bit of a bottleneck for my tastes. Plus, I find Cubase has much better, almost Logic-like sequencing capabilities, and it just "feels" overall more professional than Acid.

I do have Logic Express 8 on my MacBook, but that's a different story lol.

May 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I tried Ableton Live at a time when I was used to more straightforward multitrack software like CEP and Sonar. The power of Live won me over in a way that I was not expecting.
Since then I've tried to get into Garageband and Logic but just couldn't get a feel for them. I did manage to start and finish a project in Garageband, but I did not enjoy it. I'd really like to get used to that Apple UI though, much like I'd like to be proficient with ProTools, but the likelihood of that is slim because I have less time and patience for screwing around with music than ever. If anything I'll open Live again just because I know how to get results without re-learning my workflow.

Garageband was what my IT teacher told the class to use for a podcast assignment. I've decided not to use it though. Reaper was much more user friendly for tasks like side chain compressions and etc.

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 11
I am using Logic right now.  Tried Reaper for a bit but came back to Logic.  I use Garageband to capture ideas but bring them into Logic when I want to do anything serious.

When I ran Windows I used Mackie's Traktion and Zynewave Podium.  Both had somewhat different approaches DAWs.

Presonus' Studio product looks interesting.

I have played a bit with Ableton Live and haven't been able to quite get my head around it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Hey everyone. I use Reaper for the last few years on my home-made PC. Learned on Cubase back in 1999.MY partner in the studio uses Logic on his Mac. 

Deciding factor for me to use Reaper? - What other DAW can you run from a USB drive on any PC?

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Deciding factor for me to use Reaper? - What other DAW can you run from a USB drive on any PC?

Just curious as to why this is important to you.  I've heard a few people say this but I don't really why this makes any difference whatsoever.  It sounds good but is it really functional?  Seems to me plugins my cause some contention.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Just curious as to why this is important to you.  I've heard a few people say this but I don't really why this makes any difference whatsoever.  It sounds good but is it really functional?  Seems to me plugins my cause some contention.
I can see an advantage in being able to transport one's entire operation to someone else's (capable) PC to get some work done in a pinch. Based on my experiences having to sit down to some new software or what have you, esp with a deadline or other time sensitivity looming, this can make a big difference.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I can see an advantage in being able to transport one's entire operation to someone else's (capable) PC to get some work done in a pinch. Based on my experiences having to sit down to some new software or what have you, esp with a deadline or other time sensitivity looming, this can make a big difference.

I can appreciate that but can you really transfer your "entire operation" over if you are using external plugins.  For example, if I use Battery 3 for drums or Ozone Izotope for Mastering I don't think that's going over on a USB stick (I really don't know the answer to this so I am asking).  I guess if I could do everything with Reaper's native plugins that might work.

Darcy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back