David Lynch DVDs now available outside of his website!
Dec 18, 2005 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Quado

Banned
I know not everyone is a fan of his work, and some people will gladly come in here and write varying opinions. What I'm interested in, however--is if any of you will buy these--or if you already own these DVDs (Eraserhead; The Short Films of David Lynch) from David Lynch's website--will buy them again for whatever reason (please state your reason). Me: personally I have considered buying his DVDs from his website, but I was not too sure if I was ready to (heh heh, I get kind of nervous when watching his stuff--I'm the type of person who is very hesitant at many things--come to think of it, I've never really had any friends all my life; at all--but I'm happy with my taste in entertainment at least...) I'm definately going to get these DVDs soon though (nowadays as time has passed, it's more an issue of money--heh heh; I'm definately getting these DVDs next year to keep me entertained). Anyways, this is exciting news for people interested in weird/surreal things; and if you have never seen David Lynch's work--now is the perfect time to do so (ha ha...just in time for the holidays
wink.gif
). Discuss this news and state what's on your mind (heh heh, don't go too off topic)...

Edit Note: Well...actually if bought it won't be until after the holidays, when the DVD arrives. The release date January 10th, 2006.

Dec 18, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 13
Good news! I'm a huge Lynch fan and I've wanted a good copy of Eraserhead for a long time. I never wanted to cough up the big bucks that Lynch was asking at his website, so I'm really happy they're coming out elsewhere. But where exactly? Just general release everywhere? I'm going to get Eraserhead and the Short films. I've never seen his short ones.

Dec 18, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 13
I signed up on Amazon's thing to be notified when the item would be available for pre-order (I just recieved a notification Saturday, December 17, 2005 5:39:24 AM). Here is what Amazon wrote--"Eraserhead" (DVD) is available for pre-order at Amazon.com (that's the subject title)--here's the letter:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

You previously signed up to be notified when "Eraserhead" (DVD) became
available, and we're happy to inform you that it is now available for
pre-order.

If you would like to order this item now, just follow the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ian_t_th_em_po

Once you've placed your order, we'll ship this item to you as soon as it is
released (your credit card will not be charged until this item is ready for
shipping).

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that
cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

If you have any further questions, please visit our online Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/help

We hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

Enjoy,

Your Friends at Amazon.com

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd rather not
receive future e-mails of this sort from Amazon.com, please visit your
Amazon.com Communication Preferences page:
http://www.amazon.com/communications

(c) 2005 Amazon.com. All rights reserved. Amazon.com is a registered
trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.

Amazon.com, 1200 12th Ave. S., Suite 1200, Seattle, WA 98144-2734.

This message was sent to the following e-mail address:
My e-mail address...heh heh

Reference: 1553020

It is released by Subversive Cinema--http://www.subversivecinema.com/

It will be available in the 'retail marketplace'--I'm assuming this means it should be available at some stores soon (it might be best to just pre-order it online though...same thing with his short films). It will supposedly not carry the special packaging or booklet (basically the same films--just a fresh; more widely available release).

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 13
Good find, man. I like one amazon reviewers info on the short films. Very nice reviews. They sound like the kind of films I want to do (after having made the rounds of Hollywood and back out).
The review:
This collection of David Lynch's short films was originally only available through his Web site. This new edition is reportedly the same disc with different packaging (it lacks the oversized box and booklet of the first version), but it's considerably cheaper. You can watch each film with or without an introduction by Lynch. The films are:

SIX MEN GETTING SICK - This animated one-minute movie was Lynch's very first film. It was originally part of a multi-media piece and was projected over a sculpture on a continuously running loop. The title is an accurate description of the film, as several human heads become inflamed, catch fire, and vomit copiously. It's worth noting that, while 99.9% of movie directors become filmmakers because they're into films, Lynch came to filmmaking purely as an extension of his painting, and was never a movie buff. I think that simple fact goes a long way in explaining Lynch's originality as a director.

THE ALPHABET - A combination of animation and live action, this approximately 5-minute film is "about the fear of learning," according to Lynch. The soundtrack consists of children repeatedly chanting the alphabet, while animated letters seem to excrete and procreate and a woman in white-face cowers in a bed and eventually vomits blood (vomiting figures strongly in Lynch's early film work). It's a concentrated and eerie piece of surrealism.

THE GRANDMOTHER - A lonely, abused boy grows a grandmother from a seed in this, Lynch's first attempt at narrative (of a sort). There's some animation, but live action dominates. It's crudely made in comparison to his first feature, Eraserhead, but it's clearly the product of the same singular artistic vision.

THE AMPUTEE - Back around the time he was making ERASERHEAD, Lynch was offered some videotape for free, so he used it to shoot this short bit of black comedy. It stars Catherine Coulson (much later she became the Log Lady in TWIN PEAKS) and Lynch himself.

THE COWBOY AND THE FRENCHMAN - Made for French TV right after he finished BLUE VELVET, this is a virtually plotless exercise in comic surrealism, plopping down an absurdly stereotypical Frenchman (he wears a beret, and carries a bottle of wine and snails in briefcase) in the middle of a ranch inhabited by several stereotypical cowboys. It looks like it was mastered off a videotape source, which is odd. I wonder if the original film elements were lost.

LUMIERE - Originally titled PREMONITION FOLLOWING AN EVIL DEED, which I personally like a lot better than LUMIERE. This was made for the film LUMIERE AND COMPANY, in which acclaimed directors from all over the world were given a Lumiere camera (the very first motion picture camera) and asked to make a movie with it. Since the camera could only hold 55 seconds worth of film, the directors were retsricted to that running time. They also were not allowed to edit. If you've seen LUMIERE AND COMPANY, you know that Lynch's film is by far the most interesting and imaginative of the bunch. He ingeniously got around the prohibition against editing by constructing several sets side-by-side, and blocking the lens momentarily while he moved the camera to the next scene. The movie goes by in a flash of bizarre black and white images. Was that a naked woman floating in a huge glass tube? And what were those humanoid things and what exactly were they doing? You have to watch the film several times to begin to get a clear idea of what you've seen.

These shorts represent the more abstract side of Lynch's film work - they're much more the work of the Lynch who made ERASERHEAD than the Lynch who made THE STRAIGHT STORY. Your average Joe Filmgoer would hate them. But if you're a Lynch fan and haven't seen some or all of these films, you'll definitely want to get this.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

heh heh, I get kind of nervous when watching his stuff

I bought Eraserhead from his site at least 2 years ago, and still have not watched it. I saw the movie on cable many years ago, and it put me in such an anxious, nervous, freaked out state that I have not been able to watch it again. It's one of those "the time has to be just right" types of things, and so far that time hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure I need a psychiatrist or something......
confused.gif

A_Sr.

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 13
This all sounds interesting. I am not familiar with the movies you guys are talking about, but they sound like something I would like to see.
I was hoping this thread would be about a release of Lost Highway in the US.

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm p robably going to buy another copy of eraserhead but for a friend as a gift. Its probably my favorite of his movies but perhaps a tie with blue velvet depending on my mood. Even though the sound quality couldn't be called hi-fi, its still an amazing movie to listen to with headphones. The constant hum, wind or even suckling sounds constantly in the background does become so delightfully unnerving!

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

This all sounds interesting. I am not familiar with the movies you guys are talking about, but they sound like something I would like to see.

Eraserhead is a masterpiece (of its kind). Very very surreal, existential, it takes place in some other reality. If you aren't into it, or aren't the patient type, it may seem to drag on and on pointlessly; it's all pregnant pauses, bizzarre dis-jopinted dialogue, very dream-like in feel, with little "action" and plot or narrative. A one of a kind, but not for everybody. The alien baby sperm thing is eerily, scarily real.

I remember reading an article on it years ago, they worked on the thing on weekends for *years*, a LOT of effort went into it.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Cool, I have to tell my friend about this he's a big Lynch fan, actually he probably already knows.

Eraserhead is a freaky movie, I saw it for the first time last year. It is really messed up. It's a good watch though. Anyone who hasn't seen it, should check it out.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Another big Lynch fan here. Eraserhead is incredible, I was able to see it in one of my film classes in college. My order of preference for the movies I've seen of his:
Lost Highway
Mulholland Drive
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet

I really need to see Twin Peaks at some point in time.

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 13
While not a fan, I did enjoy Lost Highway and it's soundtrack especially. I still don't understand What it's about though
tongue.gif

*Off to order Lost Highway!

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 13
So far: I have only seen Eraserhead and Blue Velvet. Speaking of Eraserhead and Blue Velvet--I always liked how smooth and "movie theater dark" the overall feel and cinematography was (lol it almost felt like I was in somebody's basement or something, when I watched Eraserhead...?? And there seemed to be some interesting images in the background in Blue Velvet--like when I would watch some plants, there seemed to be faces and all sorts of weird stuff spread everywhere; I believe those things in Blue Velvet were just coincident--most likely natural things...). Perhaps the most disturbing part in Eraserhead for me, was around when the "singing" started (it all happened fast...and I was like
blink.gif
(I will not spoil that part...lol, if it's even possible to spoil--nothing can really be explained...it was maybe even nihilistic in a way; philosophically and psychiatrically). Actually I think I remember seeing the "ear" part in Blue Velvet when I was flipping through the channels or something (keep in mind I was much smaller then...)--all I could think about was saying in my head, "What??? What was that all about??? I don't get it?! What?! I don't get it?! What was that all about? I don't understand what's going on. What's happening? What??? I don't get it? I don't get it? What? Why don't I understand what's going on?! I don't understand?"--yeah...that's not really what I said, just mainly saying 'what'. lmao at how messed up my life was (not really, unfortunately)...

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 13
you guys should pick up an all-region dvd player.

i had gotten the japanese dvd edition of 'eraserhead' back in 98...i think.
and i got the korean edition of 'lost highway' also around that time.

you'd be surprised by the number of films which for one reason or another haven't found their way to (US) region 1 dvd but are available in other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back