Dave Matthews: Stand Up
May 15, 2005 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think about it?

I absolutely loved their live album The Central Park Concert, but I have to confess that I found their studio albums like Crash hard to "understand".

This new album is a lot more easier for my ears. It sounds more like most rock songs I usually listen to, but yet they haven't jumped on the pop bandwagon for sure.

May 15, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 25
I haven't heard much of it yet, but what I've heard I'm sort of lukewarm about.

I prefer his earlier studio work to his more recent stuff...he really did his best work with Steve Lilywhite IMHO.

May 15, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
...but what I've heard I'm sort of lukewarm about.

That's about how I feel. I picked up the CD early this week since I've really liked previous DMB albums.... and it was $10 :p It may just take a while to warm up to me but as a whole it seems somewhat uninspired, save for a few songs like Old Dirt Hill and American Baby, and possibly Smooth Rider had it been a little longer.

May 16, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
That's about how I feel. I picked up the CD early this week since I've really liked previous DMB albums...

Their sound has really changed since they started out. I think all their studio albums are great, with the exception of Everyday which is just "good". This new one seems to be in the same vein as Everyday. Now of course, Busted Stuff was in between, but that album was recorded before Everyday. The band has definitely taken a mellower, more rock biased turn recently. I don't necerssarily think of it as a bad thing - bands need to change to grow and they still put on a kickass live show. You have to enjoy these albums without comparing them to BTCS, Crash, and UTTAD. They're good, they're just not what the fans are used to. I didn't like Everyday at first but it's grown on me. This disc I feel better about from the start so I'm sure I'll warm up to it as well.

May 16, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 25
I'm not a fan. But then I haven't been a fan of his stuff since the Lillywhite Sessions Redux. I thought the original recording was far superior.

A real shame actually, as I really enjoy the older stuff. That said, I will still attend any and all concerts that come to my city.

May 16, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 25
I have been really trying to like it but I find it mediocre at best.

"while producer Mark Baston, best known for his small-time work with big-name pop acts like Beyonce and 50 Cent" (amazon.com)

The new producer explains why the once great drumming has been almost completely eliminated and most of the songs have a similar background beat.

I really miss the solos and this seems to be more like Dave Matthews and synth than Dave Matthews and band.

Right now it seems like DMB's own St Anger...

May 16, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 25
I tried to like this one... but it's just not doing anything for me. Their studio work has only twice gotten me excited (Under The Table And Dreaming, Crash) and once seemed pretty good (Before These Crowded Streets). Live however, it's like a whole different band. Absolutely rock the house. So as long as they promise only to play a few tunes from this and Everyday, I will absolutely pay $$$ to see them live again this summer. If you haven't seen them live, you owe it to yourself to do so (the DVDs seem to capture it pretty well if they aren't coming near you).

May 16, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DMOS
So as long as they promise only to play a few tunes from this and Everyday, I will absolutely pay $$$ to see them live again this summer.

I bet you they rework these songs for the tour and really jam them out.

May 16, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 25
I'm listening to it right now at work, and I'm not overwhelmed. It reminds me of Some Devil, which was a masterwork production-wise, but I'm just not that crazy about the music.

So far, "American Baby" is my favorite cut on the album...and it's so-so. Maybe it will grow on me...

I'll try to give the enhanced stereo stuff a listen later tonight.

May 18, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 25
Well, I've listened to the "Enhanced Stereo" side of the Dual Disc, and I don't mind telling you that it's very well done. The music is still weak overall, but a couple of the tunes are growing on me.

That said, easily his worst album next to Everyday.
frown.gif

May 18, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 25
My wife and I are huge DMB fans and have every one of the band's discs including all of the club only releases so my opinion may be a bit less than unbiased but here it goes anyways.

I honestly love this one and think its a great CD overall. There is a lot to like on this CD from the way the music is arranged and mixed to the wide range of musical styles expressed in it to the lyrics in a few of the songs. Overall it isn't the instantly recognizably sounding disc that Before These Crowded Streets was but it is a new sound for DMB and is every bit as good in its own right.

I love the opening sequence of American Baby...
The backbeat, refrain, and overall composition of Old Dirt Hill are perfect...
Carter Beauford's drumwork and the percussion in this record in general is nothing short of perfect. Never too much and never lacking...
Leroi Moore shines in Stolen Away and again on you Might Die Trying...
Oh yeah, what's up with Hello Again & Louisiana Bayou? Who knew these guys could do a cajun style zydeco track? All thats missing is some steel guitar and rubboard action...
And lets not overlook the fact that Butch Taylor's keyboard work hasn't gotten this prominent a stage since Before These Crowded Streets and he has done very well with it...

To me the change in this album from the last is not unlike U2 following up Rattle & Hum with Achtung Baby. Both albums are great in and of themselves but don't bear much resemblence to one another besides the name of the band on the dust jacket. DMB has shown its fan a whole new side to themselves in this CD much like U2 did back in '91. I credit Mark Batson for helping the band find this new, more soulful, jazzy, bluesy sound. I believe he found in them something they hadn't explored before and it is a gem.

May 18, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 25
Not to get this thread off topic, but what Dave Mathews albums do you like the best and why? All of the ones I have seem to be disliked (I have Everyday, Some Devil, Before these Crowded Streets). I like the albums I have but the negativity toward them makes me think I am missing out on better albums.

May 18, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 25
Saw DMB on letterman last night do "American Baby". While I'm not a huge DMB fan, I do enjoy their mainstream stuff - Crash into me / Santana collaborations etc. I just bought American Baby off itunes and I've been listening to it on my borrowed PPA/SA-5000's, and it sounds pretty damn sweet.

May 18, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
Not to get this thread off topic, but what Dave Mathews albums do you like the best and why? All of the ones I have seem to be disliked (I have Everyday, Some Devil, Before these Crowded Streets). I like the albums I have but the negativity toward them makes me think I am missing out on better albums.

Everyday isn't a bad album in and of itself, but is weak when compared to the rest of the Band's catalog. Which is really saying something because DMB on a bad day is still a stronger band than most group's at their best. The big problem that this album had was a smear campaign against Glen Ballard by the band's most rabid fans who were pissed that Steve Lillywhite didn't do the production. Yet another change in production with this new album will tick off the same folks but some people can't be pleased no matter what you do.

That being said there are still some awesome tracks on Everyday including "When the World Ends" "The Space Between" "If I Had it All" & "Angel"

Before These Crowded Streets is still my personal favorite studio album by the band. There isn't a single track on the album that isn't a gem in its own right.

If you're looking for other discs to add to your collection I would start looking more into the live albums as opposed to the studio works.

The Central Park Concert is a great set with some excellent examples of the band jamming and taking songs to places you can only take them when performed live. Warren Haynes' performance in the three tracks he shows up for is nothing shot of amazing and the rest of the band is on fire on this one.

Listener Supported is another one worth looking into with a few great covers including Johnny Cash's "Long Black Veil" and Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College is often hailed as the single best live recording of DMB's music.

DMB Live at Folsom Field, Bolder, Colorado is another great set with a lot of songs off of the Busted Stuff album (aka The Lilllywhite Sessions redux)

Lastly, to truly know the band is to see them live and if you can't make it to a show the next best thing is to pick up one of their live DVDs such as the Central Park Concert or their Folsom Field DVD. Both are very well produced and really do show why their fans are as rabid as they are.

May 18, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 25
Ok thanks, I will look into some of their live albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back