Dave Matthews: Stand Up
May 18, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
Ok thanks, I will look into some of their live albums.

Jose is right but he left off Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash. Go with The Central Park Concert and UTTAD, then move on to Crash and Live at Red Rocks. Also, Live at Luther College is an incredible album and should not be overlooked.

EDIT: Cortez the Killer on The Central Park Concert is awesome.

May 18, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 25
Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash are the best studio albums.

Live at Luther is excellent. Very intimate, but missing the band.

Live at Red Rocks is a great live set.

May 18, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 25
Jose PerezThe big problem that this album had was a smear campaign against Glen Ballard by the band's most rabid fans who were pissed that Steve Lillywhite didn't do the production. Yet another change in production with this new album will tick off the same folks but some people can't be pleased no matter what you do.[/QUOTE said:
They need to get back with Steve Lilywhite, and the sooner the better. Look what happened when U2 went back to work with him...turned out their best album in 15 years!!

Swallow your pride, Dave...your band can be saved.

May 19, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #19 of 25
I think I will look into Table and Dreaming, and Crash before the live albums. I tend not to like live albums because of the pore sound quality and mixing issues. I know there are many exceptions (Eric Clapton’s Unplugged for example) but that is my opinion.

May 19, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #20 of 25
The retail releases of Dave Mattews live shows are all recorded very well imo, but you can't go wrong with his studio work. I'd get that first as well.

Back on the topic of Steve Lilliwhite, the original Lilliwhite sessions were FAR superior to what they put out instead. Dave and Steve should definitely kiss and make up.

May 20, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 25
Well I'm going to be in the minority here i guess, but as someone that has not been a big fan of DMB, I like it quite a bit and find it more accessible than some of his older stuff.

Two disclaimers here
1. Not a big "jam" fan and this album is a bit more concise feeling (I.E. the songs stand by themselves especially american baby

2. The GF has been playing it almost 24/7. I'd be in big trouble if she actually met Dave
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 25
I don't like it. I'm a big fan of DMB, and I know some people like different styles, but Stand Up is musically inferior to most of their other releases. The loop-style repetitive and simplistic drumming is sickening when you consider the talent of Mr. Beauford. Boyd Tinsley and his violin are only real contributors in a couple tracks, and Leroi Moore's playing on the saxophones is all placed way back in the mix. The great guitar playing that's usually heard from Dave is now only ordinary for the most part, consisting mostly of straight chord changes. His voice is also under-used...there are no songs on this album that make me think "Wow, his voice is so versatile!" or "Wow, how did he make his voice sound like that?" That has never been the case on any of his other albums. Then there's the songs and the lyrics. The songwriting is way below the caliber that has become expected of the band, and the lyrics when put beside his other work are laughable. Hasn't anyone else hear listened to 'Stand up'? I never would have though he would put out something like that.

Sadly, I guess a lot of that is to be expected when you consider the new producer's background. But, honestly, did the band not listen to the songs before they put out the record? It's missing almost all the things that make the DMB what it is.

I was really looking forward to the release, but it's simply weak, weak, weak. Here's to hoping they open their eyes and find what they lost.

-Jay

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #23 of 25
Hate to revive an old thread, but...

I found the album to be an inferior follow-up to such a great CD as "Busted Stuff". Now, I wasnt too horribly dissapointed since I wasnt aware it was coming out, but the anticipation I put towards it... Well, I felt raped of my time.

The album does have some good points, such as some very smooth-sounding songs and some different techniques. However, it's just too mainstream. It's the sound of the many as opposed to their own original sound they had from Busted and back. Now, the same could be said of Busted Stuff, I will admit, but the combination of great lyrics and great music really made that album shine. Not saying that it compares in any way to their older albums (Before These Crowded Streets, as an example), but I say this in the sake of comparison.

Not very memorable songs off the album. Previous albums offered a variety of songs that all had their own, unique sound which stuck with you. stand Up is anything but powerfully diverse.

Man, what a letdown...
frown.gif
*Puts on "Ants Marching*

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
Not to get this thread off topic, but what Dave Mathews albums do you like the best and why? All of the ones I have seem to be disliked (I have Everyday, Some Devil, Before these Crowded Streets). I like the albums I have but the negativity toward them makes me think I am missing out on better albums.

My favorite is Crash. I find the music very lush and easy to relax to
280smile.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #25 of 25
This album is clearly cut from the same cloth as Everyday.

It's not bad; for any other artist it would be a very good album. But it's true, when looked at in context of their other albums, this one just doesn't Stand Up (yes, you can shoot me now, unless someone already made that joke in this thread). The songs seem to lack the same spark and energy of their other albums. It sounds like they're trying to be something they're not. It sounds like the product of someone telling the band, "No, you can't do that," over and over again. "Hunger For The Great Light" is the best example of what I'm talking about. You can just hear the potential, but the end product is over-produced and way too restrained.

That said, "Smooth Rider" is a very good song and I really enjoy "Stand Up", "Everybody Wake Up", and "Hello Again".

I enjoy listening to it, but I know the guys can do better. They should get back with Lillywhite ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back