Darth Cherry or Darth Lacewood
Oct 30, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
Have any members ever done these two woods on a DT770? If so, I would like to see pictures to help make up my mind of which to choose. I am very close to submitting my order to Larry, but still can't choose between the two woods.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm not a big fan of the light cherry look, however, if it was a darker cherry, like the AT woody's (even if not the same finish, since I know Larry doesn't like that), then that would probably look sexy. On the other hand, a lacewood woody hasn't been done to my knowledge, but again, that would probably look quite sexy. I'd say go for the lacewood.

Aditya

Oct 30, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 14
Larry takes a lot of pics. - why not ask him if he has pics of Darths done up in these woods. Pls., then post what he sends - I've never seen either in DarthBeyer. My inclination has been light woods=Grado, and prefer Bloodwood, Bubinga, Cocobolo, and even some Koa for Darths

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 14
So, Larry replied to my e-mail to say that he has not done DT770 in either of those woods!

This smells like a challenge here...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 14
I'm not sure "challenge" is the correct word - after all, shouldn't everyone have two pairs of Darths ?
evil_smiley.gif
.......and you've already made two wood choices - you are ready to jump in with both feet
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
I'm not sure "challenge" is the correct word - after all, shouldn't everyone have two pairs of Darths ?
evil_smiley.gif
.......and you've already made two wood choices - you are ready to jump in with both feet
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Ah, but I don't have 2 pairs of DT770's to Darth... and only enough money for one Darth-ing, not including headphones...

Nov 9, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 14
Darth Lacewood - the first ever - is heading my way.
evil_smiley.gif

It's going be a nice Christmas present.

Nov 9, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 14
lacewood looks awesome. i look forward to it!

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Darth Lacewood - the first ever - is heading my way.
evil_smiley.gif

It's going be a nice Christmas present.

for a moment there i thought you were having second thoughts. lacewood looks real nice. a very interesting grain of wood

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 14
You're going to love the lacewood. I worked a bit of it with my cousin a few years ago. Unlike cherry, you'll see a depth to the grain and figure in the lacewood. It is striking and beautiful.

Also, lacewood will start out more of a white color then mellow to a yellowish/honey color over the years. Don't worry, it still looks good and the grain/figure will still pop out. Patina is a good thing.

If anyone is wondering, cherry is a great wood, too. Over the years, it will turn a deep, rich reddish/brown color.

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 14
This patina can also be sped up by exposure to sunlight. Just a few days outside in the direct sun will darken Cherry quite a bit. Many woods are affected this way.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
This patina can also be sped up by exposure to sunlight. Just a few days outside in the direct sun will darken Cherry quite a bit. Many woods are affected this way.

Maple and pine turn a beautiful golden color. Very nice.

Nov 9, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Ebony turns into.....Black?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back