Darth Beyer's - Woodied!
Apr 16, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Second, I do agree with Xanadu777s initial assessment that the mod has enlarged the soundstage. Were I to have more experience, I could better describe this change (as to whether it's wider or deeper) but I'm not sure I can pinpoint it with sufficient precision. But, even so, there is an unmistakable change.

Wow, better mids, greater soundstage, and same bass?

Well, sign me up!

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #49 of 68
Did Larry ever lay his hands on DT531? I used to own them and think their plastic housing/grilles are in serious need for beautification. Especially as they sound so good, are light and comfortable and are no longer being produced, these phones should get the full headphile treatment.

Cheers, Matthias

May 11, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #50 of 68
darthwoody.jpg

I'm waiting patiently for these to show up in my mailbox. Woodied, ported and screened DT770s...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #51 of 68
Sweet... let us know what you think once you have a change to fully grok them.
wink.gif

May 11, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #52 of 68
Holy moly!!!

Can you post some close up pics or pics outdoors... that wood work is gorgeous.

Enjoy!!
Garrett

May 11, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #55 of 68
He he,

I actually have Bahama's woodies right now and am in the midst of comparing them to my stock DT770's.

Will give some impressions in a couple of weeks. I will say one thing though....

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

out of a DAC1 no less.

May 12, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #56 of 68
Grawk, virometal, bahama, please post your impressions. These days I'm talking with Larry about what darth beyers can be more adequate for me. We think I would prefer the closed, solid version, but still have time to decide. Aesthetically speaking I have no doubts, I prefer the closed ones, though today I've received a photo from Larry of a really atractive screened maple darth beyers
smily_headphones1.gif
. Are these yours, Grawk?
basshead.gif

I'm dubious about the screened version because the nature of the screen design. Maybe the open hole version would probably be left open most of the time, or the covers lost. On the other side, the functionality of the screened version would be great, being two headphones in one. What about sound? What do you think about all that?

May 12, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #57 of 68
2 more questions....

The plastic earcups have 2 small hoes for the headband wire that connects to the right earcup. With the recable, how is that little hole plugged up?

Does the wood enslosure isolate noise better?

Thanks!!
Garrett

May 12, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
Grawk, virometal, bahama, please post your impressions. These days I'm talking with Larry about what darth beyers can be more adequate for me. We think I would prefer the closed, solid version, but still have time to decide. Aesthetically speaking I have no doubts, I prefer the closed ones, though today I've received a photo from Larry of a really atractive screened maple darth beyers
smily_headphones1.gif
. Are these yours, Grawk?
basshead.gif

Those are mine. I'm spending the next few days standing outside my mailbox stalking the mailman waiting for them to get here. The reason I went with the screened cups with the removable covers is the whole "two headphones in one" thing. I plan on leaving the caps in most of the time, but wanted to be able to have the option of opening them when appropriate.

May 12, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
My 770s showed up in the afternoon mail. And let me tell you - as good as the photographs are, you can barely imagine how beautiful they are "in the flesh". The Paduak wood is so rich looking

Figured exotic woods tend to look nice - the oil-finished bubinga of my Corvette is especially beautiful in sunshine.
However, I've got a bit of bad news for you: the bright red "blood-like" colour of Paduak will fade into a bit rustier red-brown in a few years because of the ultraviolet rays. Paduak is prone to discolour (some woods discolour, like maple turns from faint yellow to orange-ish-like over a few decades), but it does it faster than many other woods. Still, it will look nice, just a bit different in colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back