Darth Beyer's - Woodied!
Apr 14, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Those look really nice did you get the matching stand too?

Yes, Larry is working on a stand using the same (Paduak) wood. Naturally, it will not contain the Grado end piece that appears in the picture above.

apar111 - I think he's working on the pricing issue now.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 68
That looks great! Beautiful work as always from Larry...but can someone explain what "Darth Beyers" are? I've been on Head-Fi only a few months and have seen that term tossed about and have no idea what it means as far as specific conversion by Larry.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #18 of 68
I think it is just a silly name for the recabled DT770s.
tongue.gif

I'm sort of wondering what I should call my Headphile modded K340s.
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 68
WHOA. In that light it looks like it belongs to Darth Maul, not Darth Vader! Evil and Agressive! If you get a matching wood stand like that Grado stand it's on, that completes the eye-candy look!

I'd really like to hear how the bass may/may not be affected by the woody treatment!

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I'd really like to hear how the bass may/may not be affected by the woody treatment!

With that in mind, I think for my personal woody pair (when I get them) I will either screen them (with removable covers) or port them so they could be adjusted to taste. I would like to hear them as open cans, just because I can I guess
tongue.gif

Funny, I've seen those 770 pads somewhere on something else, hmmm... was kind of funny to see them on their original cans, haha...

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 68
Haha I forgot about that option - Porting the ultimate Bass can, or screening open a Closed can. Mod away and keep us updated Larry!
basshead.gif
or should i say
k1000smile.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 68
Very nice looking, I'd prefer black pads though, and the matching stand just oozes quality.

Hope they don't sound terrible after all that lovely work
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Very nice looking, I'd prefer black pads though

I actually thought about asking about black pads (as it would have looked even better, IMO). I didn't for two reasons. First, I wanted them to still look like a Beyer product (and I thought that retaining Beyer's distinctive silver pad would accomplish that). Second, not knowing if some black pads would be as comfy as the silver Beyers, I didn't want to take the chance.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I actually thought about asking about black pads (as it would have looked even better, IMO). I didn't for two reasons. First, I wanted them to still look like a Beyer product (and I thought that retaining Beyer's distinctive silver pad would accomplish that). Second, not knowing if some black pads would be as comfy as the silver Beyers, I didn't want to take the chance.

Would have looked great in black and kept people guessing what make they were - you coud just answer 'custom made - very expensive' and then just grin
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 68
Those are gorgeous! wow... now I'm thinking about getting it done to my beyers. Cost?

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmx
Those are gorgeous! wow... now I'm thinking about getting it done to my beyers. Cost?

He's working up the cost numbers as we speak. Since mine was the first, he kind of guessed at the cost. When it turned out not be quite as complicated as he first feared (though it wasn't all that straightforward), he let me know and adjusted the price downward (actually, we agreed that I could just get one of his gorgeous new headphone stands in lieu of money back). It's that sort of honesty and integrity that will make me a customer for life.

As I'm sure you can understand, Xanadu777 should be the one to publicly announce the pricing structure.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #28 of 68
Man, this is making me want to go grab the DT770-80's at Guitar Center, modded or not! I gotta admit, I usually hate the woodied stuff, but these just ooze quality. As cool as the black would have looked, I agree with keeping the distinctive silver velour on them...

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #29 of 68
Beyer does have black PVC pads in lieu of the stock silver velour (as an orderable aftermarket), but Jahn had them and thought they were cheezy (assume like A900 quality, yuck).

Of course I can't mention pricing here (even if I knew, thinking about it still), but you'll know where to look when the time comes (but not yet)...

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #30 of 68
Yes indeed I had the PVC black pads for the DT770. Tried em, HATED them, returned them. Absolutely nothing like either the CD3K or SA5K (great feeling). Probably closer to the HD-25 pads, except bigger, rubberier, and sweatier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back