Darth Beyer or Denon AH-D2000
Sep 11, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #32 of 58
If you're taking complementary as a pair of open and a pair of closed..........I'm happy with my Darths and dt990/600Ω.
I did have a pair of Denon and sold them off (as did the succeeding owner), I do not rate them near as highly as some others. My primary listening is Jazz, and some Classical. There are several recordings in my library where Piano and Sax were rended poorly compared to the Darths/990's.....or even dt880's. So the Denon's went down the highway.

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys say that the D2000 and the Darths are complementry to each other?

I think so -- I have both.

I use the Darths for music, especially female vocals (my favorite) that has average or anemic bass -- the Darths really help this kind of music come alive with a decent bass-line.

But, for some music with heavy or crazy-heavy bass, I use the Denons, because the Darths are simply too much if the bass is already heavy/excessive to begin with. It's usually the low kick-drums, rather than an actual bass-line, that fall into the TOO-much-bass category.

TOO much volume with kick-drums, especially, simply will pound your eardrums into submission and is not enjoyable -- I then switch to the Denons, or my RS-1's, or HD580's, for an enjoyable listen in that case, sometimes, but not always, depending on whether I need late-night closed cans or not.

So, bottom line -- I can use Denons or RS-1's with ANY of my music, but have to be selective with my Darths.

Each can has their merits, and the switching makes for variety and fun -- therfore, are complementary.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #36 of 58
Thanks Silverrain,

Now would you say that the Darths are a more relaxed than the Denon? Which one would you prefer on crazy guitar riffs in classic rock?

Thanks again,

Izzy

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 58
Yes, Darths can be considered more relaxing..............when you're talking crazy guitar riffs - you're asking for a pair of woody Grado's. IMO Denon's don't deserve to be in the picture................if you want one to attempt to span both territories, think of the unGrado's.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #38 of 58
So from what I'm reading, you all would agree that for music with pounding basslines such as electronica, industrial, triphop, etc, that the Denons actually sound better because the bass is not as heavy as the Darths and thus won't tire out the ear of the listener?

Are there any other substantial differences in the quality/sound of the bass in these two headphones for this type of music?

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcs414 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from what I'm reading, you all would agree that for music with pounding basslines such as electronica, industrial, triphop, etc, that the Denons actually sound better because the bass is not as heavy as the Darths and thus won't tire out the ear of the listener?

The Denon's are a superb choice for those genres.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Darths can be considered more relaxing..............when you're talking crazy guitar riffs - you're asking for a pair of woody Grado's. IMO Denon's don't deserve to be in the picture................if you want one to attempt to span both territories, think of the unGrado's.

Then in what sense is the D2000 good for rock? All I'm really looking for is a great rock can with bass the gives the music body. Something that just makes me want to be an air-guitar hero. Would D2000 or Darths be good for this or should I look some where else?

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Darths can be considered more relaxing

Agreed, I have your old Open Paduaks (the fourth owner now I think, they moved from Australia to New Zealand). And they are very relaxing, though I can still enjoy heavier music with them too, my only other choice at the moment being MS1's... just can't beat the comfort of the Darth's, nor the lack of fatigue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain
TOO much volume with kick-drums, especially, simply will pound your eardrums into submission and is not enjoyable

Maybe preference, but I find that drums sound amazing with my Darth's. Though I wouldn't want to turn the volume up too much.

And to the OP, nice choice... I was away from head-fi for a long time after I got mine.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Then in what sense is the D2000 good for rock? All I'm really looking for is a great rock can with bass the gives the music body. Something that just makes me want to be an air-guitar hero. Would D2000 or Darths be good for this or should I look some where else?

D2000 is great for the above -- any music, actually. Realxing is key word, along with great SQ.

With Darths (to repeat) avoid crazy-heavy bass slam and volume, as found on some "music".

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe preference, but I find that drums sound amazing with my Darth's. Though I wouldn't want to turn the volume up too much.

NOTE the KEY WORDS : "TOO much" kick drum -- there IS such a thing.

Maybe you don't have the variety of music that I do.

Some of it is NOT relaxing with any of my Darths -- it is deafening even at lower levels that do not let the mids come forth as normal.

Maybe your source does not present the material at its full potential?

I have all high-end reference stuff to use -- could make a big difference.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Thank you silverain,

I really wanted to make sure,

Denon D2000 it is

Excellent choice! Maximum versatility....

Later, when upraditis hits, get a Darth Beyer for complementary cans!
biggrin.gif

They go well together....
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back