Darth Beyer or Denon AH-D2000
Jul 5, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthroat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input thus far. still haven't made up my mind, but i did have another question. Is the difference in sound between the Darths and stock 770s day and night? There is a local shop where i could audition the 770s but i'm not sure how that would relate to the sound of the darths. Thanks!

Pretty much day and night to me..The darth is better in every department..and it depends on the cable too..choose blackmax cable..that the most used cable by head-fiers.

your source and amp are already superb so they have no problem driving the darths

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much day and night to me..The darth is better in every department..and it depends on the cable too..choose blackmax cable..that the most used cable by head-fiers.

your source and amp are already superb so they have no problem driving the darths

I noticed that you got rid of the Darths, and currently have the d2000's. What was the reason for this?

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 58
EDIT.

(Flame deleted in a show of mercy. I may revist if required by circumstance.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthroat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that you got rid of the Darths, and currently have the d2000's. What was the reason for this?

I got a great deal (cash+dt990)so i sell the Darths and have enough funds to buy a Denon D2K. Imo the darth is better but for the price the Denon suits me well.. and i also feel that the Darth is a bit heavy on my head.

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 58
Darth Beyers are very different from stock DT770's. They are light years better.

Jul 9, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should get BOTH! They are both so very good.

But if I could have just one, it would be the Darth Beyers.

Could I ask you why?
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 58
I like them better
wink.gif

The Darth Beyers have a more relaxed sonic signature that I prefer to listen to for long periods of time. But my D5000's are great, and they get a good bit of head time.

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #25 of 58
person! i am in the process of either darthing my dt770s or selling them to get the d2000 instead...

they'll cost "around" the same anyways... maybe +~$150 for the darths ehehe

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #27 of 58
Both! Both! Both! Both!
tongue.gif

Sorry -- not much help to your wallet....
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

I just ordered another Darth to go with my D2000's....
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
basshead.gif
eek.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #28 of 58
I have/have had Screened Darths, Darths, Denon D2000.............and to me, unless you NEED closed cans for some reason - the most satisfying choice for most people will be the Screened Darths. As usual ,BlackMax cable, but I never used the covers. Suggest you buy without that option........or alternatively get a pair of Beyer dt990/600ohm as your open cans, and then add a pair of closed Darths for those times when closed are needed.

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have/have had Screened Darths, Darths, Denon D2000.............and to me, unless you NEED closed cans for some reason - the most satisfying choice for most people will be the Screened Darths.

What are the differences in the sound signature between screened DBs and closed DBs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never used the covers.

I was wondering: does that cover system really work? Compared to closed DBs?

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 58
The covers do NOT turn them into closed. The leakage that has to occur turns them into semi-closed and not as satisfying as open. I believe it is a bit more than two years ago now that I bought v.1 Paduak from a Head-fier in Boston area. This same pair got rave impressions from meet attendees there.......anyway, came time the owner was making the abrupt change into electrostatics, When purchasing I also asked about his use of the covers - he'd tried them, and from then on, always preferred without covers. My personal response has been the same. I tried them a couple of times and ended up putting the covers in a drawer. To me, switching between covered and uncovered gives the sense of some muffling.........but luved those Darths. Right now have a couple of variations on v.3 closed and figure someday another pair of opens will be in the budget. No hurry at present because a pair of dt990/600 are covering the niche.
The number 1 effect, obviously when you compare any open vs closed is the significantly more enveloping soundfield. They become more "speaker-like". It's hard to say much more, since you'd also have be comparing v.1 open vs closed, or v.3 open vs. closed. I really can't because my next pair was closed v.2 and both are now gone - and 2 pairs of v.3 variations (32 ohm and 80 ohm) have taken their places on my stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back