Darnit my Paypal got hacked! Need advice and hope that I can still get my money back...
Jun 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably the malware that stole your password that's preventing you from connecting to paypal.
have you tried booting into safemode to run your antivirus and spyware scanners?

Here's the IP address of paypal as of this posting - 64.4.241.33

Thanks for the IP! Didn't occur to me to ping the site here at work.
tongue.gif

I'll do the safemode scanning later
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully something turns up, gets fixed and I'll be able to browse PayPal at home again.

I've been thinking... Any chance that the recipient of the payment also doesn't have any knowledge of the fraudulent transaction? See, I was browsing this other thread here and on this post, the OP says that:

Quote:

Oh also, Paypal accepted the claim and refunded the $99 just then. The merchant who got the money had this to say:

"Make sure to change your paypal account password. It seems that a hacker got hold of your information. Please view more information at paypal.com to learn how to protect yourself against fraudulent transactions."

So my understanding was that the merchant didn't really do the hacking and someone just wanted to cause trouble.

Of course it's just one party's word against another... but I was just wondering
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two types of computers in the world: one, the computers that have been hacked, and two, the computers that are yet to be hacked.
Socially, where are you in there?
You should have foreseen this. That's why I never buy stuff off the Web using some sort of an electronic payment method. Check/money order only.
Get past it. Get on with your life. Lord, I lost 100$ when I was 14. Et alors? I got on my bike and kept riding. Enjoy the wind out there.
" There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell. "
--SHAKESPEARE, William. Romeo and Juliet, Act V, Scene Im

sorry but this is non sense rambling... hard to follow and not good advise either.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry but this is non sense rambling... hard to follow and not good advise either.

It's all he posts anyway, so it's best to ignore him.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #34 of 45
Jun 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #35 of 45
From Paypal:

"We've finished reviewing your unauthorized activity claim and you'll
receive a refund for the transaction amount. It may take up to 5 business
days for the funds to appear in your account."

Woohoo!

Oh, and about the security key, it's for US subscribers only
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #36 of 45
Great news that they are refunding you the money.
A shame that the security key is US only though. Oh well!

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 45
congrats on getting things resolved.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Paypal:

"We've finished reviewing your unauthorized activity claim and you'll
receive a refund for the transaction amount. It may take up to 5 business
days for the funds to appear in your account."

Woohoo!

Oh, and about the security key, it's for US subscribers only
frown.gif

I just ordered one and I am located in Canada, I even received a confirmation email regarding the shipping time of the key.

Charles

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #42 of 45
Hi Congrats on resolving your situation, i hope you have upgraded your firewall and virus scanner as well/ Not sure ifyou are already doing this but internetting from behind a router which has a built-in firewall may help too. As would using linux but I know that can be impractical.
Well, I am not sure how easy it is to change your credit card / bank details but maybe it would indeed be a good idea even if it would only make you feel better. I think changing your paypal account might be a good thing as well although I am not sure how paranoid paypal is about these things when they see you making a new account.
Unfortunately paypal is the biggest party that handles this kind of money over the internet (and I am now not tlaking about credit card companies or banks but the virtual kind of money transfer that paypal does) and I am afraid that criminals will always try to get money from other people in an easy way for them.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys advise that I:

1) Close my PayPal account

2) Change my credit card and bank details

???

I don't have a good answer for changing the PayPal account. I know I would hate to close mine, I have had it for so long, and all the history that is tied to it would go away. I would contact your bank and CC companies and ask to be issued new cards because you believe some of your accounts have been compromised. It's kind of a pita, but easy enough to do.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #44 of 45
Close it out!

The same happened to me two years ago with a kid in CA who hacked my PayPal account and stole $750 for Everquest points. My credit card co. flagged it and called me. PayPal was clueless, though my CC provider was the one to bring action against the thief who ultimately was caught and arrested. PayPal paid me back my $750 and I subsequently deleted my account. Also received a new CC # and exp date.

In short, I hate PayPal and their Emperor's New Clothes approach to transaction security.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back