Darkvoice just released 332
Aug 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #1,831 of 1,892
Gah, I'm going to have to get my 332 out of storage and actually listen to it. Still in the midst of house decorating and reading through these threads has made me long for some tubey goodness again (plus, it will stop me pointlessly longing for a 3322!).
Bought mine off a UK seller on these very forums. Upgrade-itis is rife, nay, a pandemic within the head-fi community.
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #1,832 of 1,892
Hello, I've been using my DV332 for about 7 months without any problem. Today I noticed something wrong, the L-R channels are imbalance, the sound is slightly leaned to the left side which makes the right side feels a bit 'empty'.

I've changed all tubes, tried different ICs, sources but same result. Has anyone here ever experience such problem? Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

EDIT: It's not my headphone either.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #1,833 of 1,892
Has anyone modded their 332 yet? If so, what parts did you decide to use?
Is there a power cable that works well with this unit? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,835 of 1,892
Hey, how does this amp stack up against it's competitors like the woo audio and little dot for example? And if it really was worth its price?

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #1,837 of 1,892
The 332 is up there with the best in its price range. Which one you prefer is down to your individual needs and listening requirements: what headphones you have, for instance, or what particular type of sound you like.

The WOO AUDIO 6 is above the price range of the 332. However, GRADOFAN who has owned a 332 and now owns a maxed out WOO AUDIO 6 says it gives you 95% of the sound quality at a fraction of the price. Whether you think the extra cash is worth the extra 5% only you can decide.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #1,838 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 332 is up there with the best in its price range. Which one you prefer is down to your individual needs and listening requirements: what headphones you have, for instance, or what particular type of sound you like.

The WOO AUDIO 6 is above the price range of the 332. However, GRADOFAN who has owned a 332 and now owns a maxed out WOO AUDIO 6 says it gives you 95% of the sound quality at a fraction of the price. Whether you think the extra cash is worth the extra 5% only you can decide.

I'm more or less gonna be trying to power the K701/2s out of the rig. I've read up a fair bit but there seems to be so much divided opinion, I really don't have a clue. And if I decide on the DV 332, it's now no longer in production. That and I'm going to have to learn about tubes haha..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tub...04/index2.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/akg...39/index6.html

Those were the topics I had a quick skim through where the DV was highlighted along with the K70x. Any input based on your experience would be useful =) thanks btw.

Oh..and I was wondering how it would compare with the EF-1 based on the below review, but it is quite hard to get a hold of at the moment.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ef1...pdated-428108/

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,839 of 1,892
Traditional wisdom says that the DV 332 is better with high impedance headphones like the HD650s and DT880s. However, some owners claim that the 332 sounds great with the lower impedance K701s. That's were individual experience is superior to any generalisations I can make.

The 332 is out of production, yes. But there's its successor, the 3322, and you could buy second hand. An even more exciting option is that one of DV engineers has went out on his own and now produces an amp, rebadged LA FIGARO, which is almost idential to the 332: comestically it has been revised slightly and some of the components have been upgraded, better quality capacitors, volume pot, NEUTRIK headphone socket, etc.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #1,840 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Traditional wisdom says that the DV 332 is better with high impedance headphones like the HD650s and DT880s. However, some owners claim that the 332 sounds great with the lower impedance K701s. That's were individual experience is superior to any generalisations I can make.

The 332 is out of production, yes. But there's its successor, the 3322, and you could buy second hand. An even more exciting option is that one of DV engineers has went out on his own and now produces an amp, rebadged LA FIGARO, which is almost idential to the 332: comestically it has been revised slightly and some of the components have been upgraded, better quality capacitors, volume pot, NEUTRIK headphone socket, etc.

yeah that was what I was reading as well which has made me wonder whether it will be a good match.

where will I find the LA Figaro? I did a google and for the life of me, I didn't get much matches at all. Only problem is, I kinda have a budget lol.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #1,842 of 1,892
yeah I've thought about that as well. shrugs. i really would like the ef-1, but no one seems to be selling it overseas apart from CONUS and I think I can get a hold of the DV 332. I'm just trying to figure out if it will power it well and would be better than the ef-1 or if I should just hold out and wait.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #1,843 of 1,892
IMO the price-to-performance ratio of hybrids is better than tube amps, not sure about with the K701's though
if you're looking for more info about hybrids search for posts by sacd_lover, he's owned quite a few

with tube amps, some will sound more solid state, other ones will sound more euphonic.
know which kind you are looking for, by reading reviews or by buying/selling
(used gear is easier on the wallet)

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #1,844 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the price-to-performance ratio of hybrids is better than tube amps, not sure about with the K701's though
if you're looking for more info about hybrids search for posts by sacd_lover, he's owned quite a few

with tube amps, some will sound more solid state, other ones will sound more euphonic.
know which kind you are looking for, by reading reviews or by buying/selling
(used gear is easier on the wallet)

thanks. yeah I'm trying to, but there are so many and then they get kinda technical and I get lost. lol. That and I'm kinda tired trudging through plus my last exam paper will be tomorrow then I'm flying off. heh.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #1,845 of 1,892
The designer at LA FIGARO is in contact with me at the DARKVOICE 3322 thread. Go to the penultimate page and you'll find the postings by him. Then maybe you could PM him and sort things out.

Tubes for the 332 are not very expensive: in fact they're very reasonable. A pair of good M8100s or 6AK5Ws might range from around £10-20. the 6S19Ps can be bought in bulk from good Russian sellers: around £20 for 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back