Darkvoice just released 332
Nov 18, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #1,771 of 1,892
I'm picking up a DV332 tomorrow, and will be running it out of my Zero.

I have a few questions:

1) How do I connect the two?
2) Do I turn on the preamp function on my Zero?
3) At what hour should I set the volume pot on my Zero at?
4) How do I burn in the 332, or use it on a daily basis? I understand it has to warm for 30 min before it sounds its best. Do I turn it off when I'm not using it, or do I just leave it on?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #1,773 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a few questions:

4) How do I burn in the 332, or use it on a daily basis? I understand it has to warm for 30 min before it sounds its best. Do I turn it off when I'm not using it, or do I just leave it on?

Thanks!

4) Just turn it on and use it. Sound may improve (does to me) after an hour or less, but hardly enough to justify wasting the first hour's worth of energy, tube life and amp life to spend unattended. See if you can detect what parts of the music reproduction improve in the early hours of "burn-in"...that info might help you evaluate the inevitable new tubes!

ENJOY, don't wait & see...
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #1,774 of 1,892
Quote:

I have a few questions:

Thanks!

1) RCA cables.
2) You can either not press the "Phone" button, and it'll just have line-level output. OR, you can press the "Phone" button and not plug headphones in, in which case the Zero volume control controls the preamp volume as well.
3) Whatever you're comfortable with.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #1,776 of 1,892
Okay, I've had my DV on for 6 hours now, and it's gotten very, very hot. Is this normal? Should I turn it off?

Also, is it recommended to turn off the DV when it's not in use, or is it okay to just leave it on? Will it be alright to leave it on overnight to burn-in, and then use it in the morning?

My impressions so far with my HD595 is that the sound is certainly fuller and more detailed. However, the bass is a tad overpowering, and everything sounds a bit muddy, and like it's lost a bit of bite and aggression. Will this go away with burn-in? I've got Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8110 tubes on.

With the bass so overpowering on my HD595, I'm wondering how much bassier they will sound with the HD650 :\

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #1,777 of 1,892
Quote:

Okay, I've had my DV on for 6 hours now, and it's gotten very, very hot. Is this normal? Should I turn it off?

It's normal for this amp to run fairly hot. If you feel that the amp runs too hot, just use a small fan to blow some cool air at the amp, though, I don't think you can damage the amp running it hot, as initially my unit ran without a fan for about a month and I found no problem so far.

Quote:

Also, is it recommended to turn off the DV when it's not in use, or is it okay to just leave it on? Will it be alright to leave it on overnight to burn-in, and then use it in the morning?

As many other said, if you plan to use it within an hour or two, I think you'd better let it run; otherwise, turn it off. And I don't think leaving it on all night is a good idea, since tube amp generates so much heat and you don't know what will happen running it unattended.

Quote:

My impressions so far with my HD595 is that the sound is certainly fuller and more detailed. However, the bass is a tad overpowering, and everything sounds a bit muddy, and like it's lost a bit of bite and aggression. Will this go away with burn-in? I've got Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8110 tubes on.

With the bass so overpowering on my HD595, I'm wondering how much bassier they will sound with the HD650 :\

I don't find bass overpowering with my HD650 both new and old version (metal and black silk damping material), and whether Equinoxed or not. I must say that with the "old" version of 650, bass, with this amp, may be a bit overwhelming, but in no way overpowering, especially when I compare this amp with other headphone amps.

However, I can't say whether run-in can help alleviate this problem, since I have this amp for almost a year and I almost forget my first impression of its bass in the very first hours.

If you prefer less bass, I recommend Western Electric 403A or 403B, and LM Ericssons 403B. With these two you'll get less bass, more treble, larger sound stage and clearer vocal. LM403B is currently my favorite as I prefer its clarity to Tung-Sol and Mullard M8100's lushness.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #1,778 of 1,892
I've just recived some Ulyan tubes, going to burn them in with Mullard 8100's - should be lovely!
I'm using Earth HDAM in my Zero, how does that stack up against Moon, bass wise?
Been wanting to try WE or EM tubes, but can't find any so far in UK/EU.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #1,779 of 1,892
After 8 hours of listening, I'm finding the bass on the 332 to be too pronounced and overpowering. There is a distinct impression of a loss in bite and aggresion in songs, almost as if the higher frequencies have been loss/overpowered. Everything sounds quite muddy. I have the 332 running out of my Zero DAC. I much prefer the sound coming straight out of the Zero at the moment.

I got the 332 used, with Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8110 tubes, and am using them with an HD-595. I am seriously contemplating selling them off at the moment.

Will the sound improve drastically with burn-in? Also, I imagine that these would sound extremely muddy and bassy with the 650? Or is it perhaps that the 332 doesn't mate well with a low impedance phone like the 595 (50 ohms)?

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #1,780 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to hear what you think of this combo. Please be sure and let us know your impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just recived some Ulyan tubes, going to burn them in with Mullard 8100's - should be lovely!
I'm using Earth HDAM in my zero, has does that stack up against Moon, bass wise?
Been wanting to try WE or EM tubes, but can't find any so far in UK/EU.

Hi BigTony, I should be receiving my Moon this Friday actually, and will update again.

How does the Earth sound with your DV and 650? I find the bass too overpowering with my 595 (see post above), and everything sounds more muddy than straight out of the Zero. I couldn't imagine how bassy they'd sound like with the 595.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #1,781 of 1,892
Quote:

Hi BigTony, I should be receiving my Moon this Friday actually, and will update again.

How does the Earth sound with your DV and 650? I find the bass too overpowering with my 595 (see post above), and everything sounds more muddy than straight out of the Zero. I couldn't imagine how bassy they'd sound like with the 595.

Something's

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #1,782 of 1,892
Only just fired up with new tubes, but no mud - the DV 332 loves the hd650's - will see how it develops.

The sound from my DV is much better than anything from the Zero with lt1364 opamps in h/a.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #1,783 of 1,892
Quote:

Something's not right somewhere - the DV332 is not excessively dark, and its bass does not overwhelm the other frequencies, especially with those tubes. Though, the WE403B is likely brighter and lighter than the Mullard.

With the right version of the Senns ("new" version of HD580/600/650s), and a well matched CDP/DAC - the amp is a great match with high impedance Senns. I suspect neither the DAC, or your phones, are the best match with the DV332.

With the right set up... the DV332 competes with the SPs, and Woo Audio amps quite well.

However... if you're particularly sensitive to bass, and prefer a sound with emphasis in upper mids and highs (tilted up) - I suppose you could find the DV332's bass a bit overwhelming.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #1,784 of 1,892
Try some Ericsson 403B tubes. They are skewed a bit further up the frequency range compared to the Mullards, if I recall correctly.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #1,785 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something's not right somewhere - the DV332 is not excessively dark, and its bass does not overwhelm the other frequencies, especially with those tubes. Though, the WE403B is likely brighter and lighter than the Mullard.

With the right version of the Senns ("new" version of HD580/600/650s), and a well matched CDP/DAC - the amp is a great match with high impedance Senns. I suspect neither the DAC, or your phones, are the best match with the DV332.

With the right set up... the DV332 competes with the SPs, and Woo Audio amps quite well.

However... if you're particularly sensitive to bass, and prefer a sound with emphasis in upper mids and highs (tilted up) - I suppose you could find the DV332's bass a bit overwhelming.

Gradofan2,

Could the problem be with the iffy RCA jack on my Zero? The holes on the RCA jack seem a bit too large for the RCA cable, so they fit very loosely. I had to use some blutack and a lot of adjustment to get a signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back