Darkvoice just released 332
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #1,726 of 1,892
I've been after a longer cable for my HD 650's, seems that most are going to cost about the same price as the HD 650's themselves.
What is the skinny with an after market cable between the DV 332 and the HD 650's - and how is it going to compare 'bang for buck' or is it a case of a lot of cash for a very small improvement?
I can splice and dice 2 cables for Tohmann for 30 euros which will be tailored to the right length, or shell out $400 for an Equinox! But I don't want to scimp now, if people feel that I'd be really missng out on a great sound I'll go with the better cable. Who needs food anyways.

BT

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #1,727 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this question have been asked before but have any modify their darkvoice 332 beside change the fuse

As for modding, you may PM OmoNemo, as while he owned the amp, he extensively modded it (upgrading IEC socket, majority of internal wiring, and some internal components). Though he no longer owns it, I think his input might be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been after a longer cable for my HD 650's, seems that most are going to cost about the same price as the HD 650's themselves.
What is the skinny with an after market cable between the DV 332 and the HD 650's - and how is it going to compare 'bang for buck' or is it a case of a lot of cash for a very small improvement?
I can splice and dice 2 cables for Tohmann for 30 euros which will be tailored to the right length, or shell out $400 for an Equinox! But I don't want to scimp now, if people feel that I'd be really missng out on a great sound I'll go with the better cable. Who needs food anyways.

BT

I'm one of many people here who use the cable that's as expensive as the phones themselves (Equinox). I must say that, for me, the improvement over the stock cable is in no way significant, but I can't say the cable is not justified its asking price, as in audiophile world, many people seem to be willing to spend so much money for a little improvement in their sound system.

I myself somehow can't go back to my stock cable after using Equinox for a while. At first, you might think the improvement is not significant, which is true, but eventually you will realise that your music is not the same without that insignificant improvement.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #1,729 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks PrTv

i've got HiFi-tuning Fuse but i'm not using them yet do you think they need to be burn-in? I'm just gonna burn-in the power cable first before changing the fuse

I'm not sure if hi-fi fuses need any run-in like other equipments, but I myself couldn't notice any change (both negative and positive) in sound, using my ISOClean fuse from the 1st to 60ish hours. I think only time you'll notice the change in sound is when you replace a stock fuse with an audiophile one. After that, it's very difficult to detect any change in sound.

By the way, from my experience with this particular amp, IMO, upgrading power cord wouldn't yield much improvement, as I found that the improvement was very small moving from a stock power cord to a premium one (“Hovland Mainline” cable, sold at >360$ per 2M). I found that, if you want some sonic improvements, it’s a lot cheaper upgrading tubes, fuse, or even line filter/power conditioner.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #1,730 of 1,892
"upgrading power cord wouldn't yield much improvement"
i agree, the improvement is subtle compare to getting a DAC. i Bought a ZERO Dac and notice significant improvement. Sound is more transparent and bass is tight & strong

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #1,731 of 1,892
where can you get the fuse in the EU?

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #1,733 of 1,892
Well, with the forum crash we lost the last few posts, I've put together the ones from my post notification, though none of mine showed up.

Quote:

Gradofan2 wrote 23/ Oct /2008 14:19
I must tell you DV332 owners...

I just got my new maxed WA6 SE with the Sophia Princess 274B tube - it is phenomenal, even without burn in, especially with low impedance phones.

But... I must tell you... the DV332 with the right tubes (some of those noted immediately below), source and the Senns - certainly sounds about 90% as good, for about 25% of the price - just a bit more refinement, and resolution with all phones, especially low impedance phones. I doubt I would make the huge investment in the WA6 SE over that of the DV332, again, if I'd had them to compare before making it. Though, the WA6 SE does sound phenomenal - just not 4x better than the DV332, not really even 2x better - unless you're really an OCD case!

The DV332 is simply a "huge bargain." You can be quite comfortable in just ceasing your search with it.

Spookygonk wrote 23/ Oct /2008 14:30
ish
(Paraphrasing what I wrote at the time):

I’ve been going through the posts in this thread to find the best combinations for this amp and as far as I can see these two are the near the top:

Mullard M8100 (or better CV4010) + Ulanovsk 6S19P-B (or -V) = Rich & precise
Or
WE304B / E403B + Svetlana 6S19P-B (or -V) = Clear and precise

Is there an easy way of finding out what tubes are what? I have quite a few different spares that came with the amp and I'd like to now which is which and what else I need to buy.

Godkin wrote 23/ Oct /2008 14:53
You seem to have done your "homework" on the tube front, Spookygunk. The two combinations are sound great, and are miles better than the stock Chinese rubbish. Both are good because they play to the others strengths: the Mullards are lush and rich, while the Ulyanovsks are lean and precise; likewise, the Svetlana sound richer than the comparible Ulyanovsk and the WE403Bs are lean and crystal clear.

It is pretty easy to distinguish one tube from the other as they are marked clearly. With some military tubes marking may be limited to the type of tube and not the manufacturer, although they are usually marked on the box. With Russian tubes now it is a bit more difficult, and really it comes down to knowing your logos. I think I post some info on Russian tube logos a while back, but if not here it is again:

Russian Tube Factories and Logos (Russian Tube Factories and Logos)

Godkin wrote 23/ Oct /2008 17:12
A tube buffer, in my opinion, opens up the sound, and to those with SS amps adds a touch of tube richness and warmth. I have had 3 buffers over the years and all definately improved the sound: an MF X-10 V3 was particularly good as it added slightly better dynamics, but it could not match the YAQIN in terms of soundstaging. At the minute, I have a CORE AUDIO buffer that uses two RCA 6BC4 triodes, although there is a version that uses two 6AK5s: beautiful sounding piece of kit - the best buffer I have heard.

The buffer connects between your source and amp. Mine is connected, via RCAs between my X-DAC V3 and 332.

That's all I have. Thanks for the link, Gudkin. (
wink.gif
)

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #1,736 of 1,892
Since my note was lost in the crash... I'd like to reiterate the following point.

"I must tell you DV332 owners...

I just got my new maxed WA6 SE with the Sophia Princess 274B tube - it is phenomenal, even without burn in, especially with low impedance phones.

But... I must tell you... the DV332 with the right tubes (some of those noted immediately below - Mullard M8100/EF95s and Ulynovsks 6S19s and WE403Bs or Tung Sol 6AK5s and Svets 6S19s), source and the Senns - certainly sounds about 90%+ as good, for about 25% of the price - just a bit more refinement, and resolution with all phones, especially low impedance phones. If I were using only Senns, I doubt I would make the huge investment in the WA6 SE over that of the DV332, again, if I'd had them to compare before making it. Though, the WA6 SE does sound phenomenal - just not 4x better than the DV332, not really even 2x better - unless you're really an OCD case!

The DV332 is simply a "huge bargain." You can be quite comfortable in just ceasing your search with it - especially if you're using Senns."

Though I would note... that the DV332 runs at a fairly warm temperature... and no doubt external cooling with a small 4" table fan will extend the life of its components.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #1,739 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up 4 Svetlana 6S19P-V, just because.
biggrin.gif

I have many tubes I probably will never have to use too. Nice to have some spares just in case
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #1,740 of 1,892
Well after reading on this thread about people buying tubes and finding that they don't work (well) for what ever reason, i thought it would be handy to stock up on the essentials.

I tell you, the first thing that struck me about seeing the DV332 "in the flesh" was how small the tubes actually were. I was sort of expecting the 6S19Ps to be the smaller tubes with the larger pair like the 6AS7 of the Darkvoice 336i. But size isn't everything, now is it?

Just did a stock check of my tubes:

Quote:

2 x no name 6C19 star above with three lines either side & two oriental symbols above it. One of these has a “J” in a circle on one side.
2 x no name 6J1 in a star with 846J underneath

Would these be the stock Chinese tubes?

Quote:

2 x no name 6J1 with brown lettering that’s faded / rubbed off so can’t be read.
4 x Ulyanovsk 6S19P-B with the newer arrow symbol
2 x Svetlana 6S19P-B with the old style “C” in a circle
2 x Mullard M8100, they might say CV4010 on the backs
2 x General Electric 5654 / 6AK5W
2 x LM Eriksson 403B
2 x Hytron JHY-6AK5

Currently in the amp:
2 x Western Electric 403B
2 x Ulyanovsk 6S19P-B with the newer arrow symbol

Not a bad selection to start with, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back