Darkvoice just released 332
Aug 18, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #1,682 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into the Mullard M8100 if you're thinking about a tube upgrade.

Yes from everything I have read those are very nice tubes. And they came with my USA version MK IV SE. I now have about 70 hours on it now and the sound keeps getting better and better.

btw for anybody buying a new tube amp from China make sure that who you are buying the amp from is a authorized dealer. My MK IV SE comes with a 2 year warranty but only if it is bought from a authorized dealer. I got my from David at little tube so in my case np.
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #1,683 of 1,892
Since this is a thread for DV332, I think I will post it here too.

Anyone who happen to own a "new" version of HD650 + Equinox cable , and the DV332, please tell me what you think about the synergy.

Referring to this thread, I found that my new version does not go so well with Equinox. With Equinox and DV332 (Svets and LM 403B's) I find that the phones sound too harsh and I can feel that bass is less impact and more muffled compared to my old version.

And more surprisingly, the phones sounded better when I removed the Equinox and put in a stock cable. With the new version, I clearly prefer that cheapo 12$ cable over a >300$ Equinox. I don't know what is to be blamed, the cable, the phones, the amp, or even myself.
confused_face_2.gif

Since many of us here own HD650, I believe someone in this thread would own a new version and the Equinox. Please let me know what you think.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #1,684 of 1,892
I have the newer version 650s and the exact same tubage your using, and I found the Equinox opened the whole stage from floor to ceiling and wall to wall. I had been using the Cardas cable I got when I purchased the Senns, having put the OEm cable on my 600s. Technically, I know I can't compare SAA to stock Senn cable, but I know that Equinox ended any further tweaks or tube rolling...

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #1,685 of 1,892
Yeah bOUddha, I too can notice an improvement in soundstage, but I really can't stand those ear-piercing treble (especially sibilance), and the lack of quality bass (not quantity, of course).

Maybe I need to see if something went wrong in my setup.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #1,687 of 1,892
PrTv-

Quote:

but I really can't stand those ear-piercing treble (especially sibilance), and the lack of quality bass

Doesn't sound like my rig in the slightest. I don't know that I would even investigate any options to improve what I'm hearing, and my source is mostly a Sony ST-J75 FM tuner (recently refurbed by Terry Dewickt). Mahvelous stuff...
bigsmile_face.gif

What source are you using? Could there be an impedance mismatch? I have a couple of CD players that sound rough when played through the DV (so I don't).

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #1,688 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by bOUddha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PrTv-

Doesn't sound like my rig in the slightest. I don't know that I would even investigate any options to improve what I'm hearing, and my source is mostly a Sony ST-J75 FM tuner (recently refurbed by Terry Dewickt). Mahvelous stuff...
bigsmile_face.gif

What source are you using? Could there be an impedance mismatch? I have a couple of CD players that sound rough when played through the DV (so I don't).

My source are Rotel RCD-06 and Arcam DiVA CD73, and sometimes iPod Nano 3G. I don't know if it's the impedance but I don't have this problem at all with my old pair.

Additionally, yesterday I tried connecting the new phones with my NAD C372 stereo integrated amp, and the problem still persisted, so I highly suspect it's my headphone itself.

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #1,689 of 1,892
I just got a Darkvoice 332 amp, which I had taken off of Gradofan's hands, and wow, it's even better than I had imagined. Paired with my Diyeden SVDAC04 DAC and newly arrived HD650's, this is a killer combination.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #1,690 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a Darkvoice 332 amp, which I had taken off of Gradofan's hands, and wow, it's even better than I had imagined. Paired with my Diyeden SVDAC04 DAC and newly arrived HD650's, this is a killer combination.

Yeah...

And... if you're (any member) one of those with a DV332, who thinks you can do much better by upgrading to a more expensive amp... think again, before you sell your DV332!

You will not find an amp, that significantly betters it at 3 to 4 times the price - so don't bother trying.

You'll only regret you did.

Also... I should note... even though the tube selection for the DV332 is limited... the tubes that are available for the DV332 produce some of the best sound available from any tubes - so don't be lured into thinking other tubes will sound much better. Somehow the special combination / synergy between the Solen caps, with the tubes it uses, produce an exceptionally good sound quality.

By the way - DV made a big mistake by discontinuing this amp - they should have just upgraded the POT, the tube sockets, the RCA connections, the power supply, and the fuse, and left it in the their product lines. Replacing it with the DV3322 with wholly different components may well be "ruining a good thing" - perhaps they should have "left well enough alone." I doubt very much the DV3322 will sound as good, or better.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #1,692 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone seen this thread?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tin...mz-2-a-351833/

A rip off of the 332 or what? Maybe as DV phases out the 332 - the 3322 is realeased in September - they have sold the rights to make it to TINGFENG?

AudiophileChina reported to me the TingFeng is not identical in all respects to the DV332, and does not share all its parts. I think I recall it uses different caps, or resistors, or both, as follows:

Resistors: Dale (not the big military grade units of the DV332, which were proven)
Caps: Phillips Beyschlag Centralab (not the Solen, which were proven)
Diodes: Fuji
POT: ALPS-27 (may be same, might be better - should be Blue Velvet)
RCAS: CMC816u
Tubes: Same
Case: Appears to be lesser quality paint
Power: ~1 watt

I wouldn't buy one, unless it is identical, or with minor tweaks - you can't be certain it will sound as good, or will be as reliable.

Given it's lower price - I doubt it will.

If it is the "re-branded" DV332, they should just upgrade the POT, the tube sockets, the RCAs, the fuse, and possibly the resistors... and maintain the same high quality case - and the same, or slightly higher price. The original design and parts selection has a special synergy that is very difficult to improve upon - except through relatively minor tweaks.

They'd sell a lot of them, if they did. With lesser parts - I doubt they will, no matter what their price.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #1,694 of 1,892
At the moment i'm regreting my purchase! My 332 developed a fault within a week, i spent 2 weeks fiddling changing valves, bending pins etc, and now its spent 2 weeks with an engineer who's still trying to find out the cause of the annoying sound.

Just my luck to get a dud.

BT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back