Darkvoice just released 332
Jul 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #1,486 of 1,892
Definately something wrong there for sure. It could have been dropped during shipment. But if you are going to open it - and if you do it will invalidate the guarantee - be careful: there are a lot of high voltages in a tube amp, especially around the PSU section.
eek.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #1,487 of 1,892
I can definately see its a screw, through the vents but its too big for it to drop through. I emailed casque_hifi and they told me to wait until it cooled and then remove the loose screw. So I removed 10 screws from the casing and left the feet on, but I just can't get in. I am putting alot of force and the sides are bending but at the top end and bottom end of the amp its not coming away?

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,488 of 1,892
Oh I see now there are 2 more screws under stickers at either end lol sos

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #1,489 of 1,892
Well I have removed the screw from inside and it seems to be the same style as the ones used to hold the base plate in position, it was probably dropped in when they were making it, because i could not see any of this style screw used inside. I checked everything else and there doesn't seem to be any loose conections. So im going to close it all up, and reassess the situation when my zero dac comes.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #1,490 of 1,892
I suspect the sources you used have a lower ouput voltage than standard CDP/DAC output voltage of 2v+ (lower volume output) - which requires more volume from your amp.

As far as the "noise / hiss," I suspect it will disappear with burn in. It also may be coming from your sources.

You need to get a "real" source, and complete burn in before, making any judgments.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #1,491 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect the sources you used have a lower ouput voltage than standard CDP/DAC output voltage of 2v+ (lower volume output) - which requires more volume from your amp.

As far as the "noise / hiss," I suspect it will disappear with burn in. It also may be coming from your sources.

You need to get a "real" source, and complete burn in before, making any judgments.

Yes I suspect your right, im going to wait untill I get my DAC but I think it should be okay. Just a quick question I got some small Mullard tubes but my large ulys have not arrived yet, will I hear a difference if I put the mullard small tubes in with the stock chinese large tubes? or do you think I should wait for the Ulys to come?

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #1,492 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I suspect your right, im going to wait untill I get my DAC but I think it should be okay. Just a quick question I got some small Mullard tubes but my large ulys have not arrived yet, will I hear a difference if I put the mullard small tubes in with the stock chinese large tubes? or do you think I should wait for the Ulys to come?

You'll probably hear a difference - the Mullards should be less harsh, and probably have better bass, and mids, and smoother highs.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #1,493 of 1,892
Yes, you will hear a difference: the smaller signal tubes affect and improve the sound more than replacing the larger power recifying tubes. The extent of the improvement depend on the tube, though the improvements are subtle: the EF95 is the basic MULLARD tube, the military version of which is the CV850; the better quality MULLARD tube is the M8100 (some tubes are marked PHILIPS because they bought MULLARD), the military version of which is the CV4010. Anyway, they will improve the sound: MULLARDs have a typically tube-like sound, lush and rich, open and detailed, with good bass. The stock 6J1s sound harsh and thin in comparison.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #1,494 of 1,892
Just search for EF95 on ebay and you'll get lots of results, the very popular Little Dot Mk-series uses the same driver tubes so there's a market for the EF95/6J1 out there. I also couldn't agree more with Godkin that the stock 6J1 is incredibly bad sounding and should be replaced with higher quality tubes like the Mullard M8100 or at least the Voshod 6J1 which is the Russian mil-spec equalvalent.

- DoA

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #1,495 of 1,892
Xindak 2 Amp silver fuse arrived this morning. Fitted perfectly. Working perfectly.
biggrin.gif
Haven't given it a proper listening, so I'll hold off on any comments, but the top-end does appear better: there's a sparkle and definition present that wasn't there before and perhaps a bit more openess.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #1,496 of 1,892
PrTv-

Quote:

Any Equinox + DV332 users out there? How does it sound (with DV332) compared to the stock cable?

I started my HD-650s with a Cardas cable, using the stock cable to replace the one on my HD-600s, so I can't say exactly how the SAA compares to the stock. I can say that as skeptical as I was about the difference any high-end cable might make, I was stunned by the Equinox. Completely different headphones! Soundstage is now floor to ceiling and wall-to-wall. I've had the SAA for a couple of months now, and I still can't get over the improvement.

You WILL like...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #1,497 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by bOUddha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PrTv-

I started my HD-650s with a Cardas cable, using the stock cable to replace the one on my HD-600s, so I can't say exactly how the SAA compares to the stock. I can say that as skeptical as I was about the difference any high-end cable might make, I was stunned by the Equinox. Completely different headphones! Soundstage is now floor to ceiling and wall-to-wall. I've had the SAA for a couple of months now, and I still can't get over the improvement.

You WILL like...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for your impression, bOUddha.

He said it's scheduled to be shipped on 19 this month, so it might reach me at the end of the month. Man! your impression makes the wait even worse.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #1,498 of 1,892
Even though the Equinox is an improvement over the stock cable, IMO the improvements are subtle.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #1,500 of 1,892
I ordered my 332 on Monday, so i'm getting all excited!
I bought some NOS tubes, Mullard 8100, and i wondered about amp burn in. Should i burn in using stock tubes, or put in my NOS tubes right away?

Cheers

BT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back