Darkvoice just released 332
May 6, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #1,351 of 1,892
Got them for a fair price. I'll post impressions compared to the Mullard M8100's and the WE403B's when I get them.

May 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #1,352 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got them for a fair price. I'll post impressions compared to the Mullard M8100's and the WE403B's when I get them.

Look forward to your impressions . I'm curious to know whether they might just provide a taste of the 'middle ground' that I'm looking for; between the lush Mullards and the analytical WE403B(A)'s.

May 6, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #1,353 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by afgeneral /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's actually quite normal for inexpensive transformers to hum like this. These are mechanical vibrations of the transformer laminations, and to a certain extent, transformer windings. Transformers are still manually impregnated even with larger/reputable manufacturers -- so they are subject to sample variation. It's easy to fix, though... bake the transformer for 1 hour at 120 degrees Celcius, while hot, dip the entire transformer to a varnish material like Dolphon AC-43 (about 40 bucks per gallon) and air cure for 24 hours.

Er. That doesn't sound too easy to me
confused.gif

May 8, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #1,354 of 1,892
I read through almost every page and wonder about tubes usable with this amp. Seeing many of you guys use 5654, M8100, EF95, 403A/B, CV4010 makes me believe that there are very limited amount of tubes which are compatible with this amp.

However, I found a list of tubes that are equivalent to the above tubes, but didn't see any of them mentioned in this thread (if I didn't miss something).

The said list contains EF905 6AK5W CK5654 GL5654 CV4010 CV5216 CV8246 CV5893 6096 CV10442 E95F

Has anyone tried any of the blue tubes? How do they sound compared to the well-known tubes above?

FYI, the list I mentioned can be found here

Additionally, does anyone know any western equivalent for those russian 6S19Ps?

May 8, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #1,355 of 1,892
Don't want to contradict, but the 6AK5W and CV4010 have been talked about many times on this thread. The 6069 has bee mentioned in passing, but it is a eastern European tube designation, and since eastern Europe makes no tubes of distinction it only deserves to be mentioned in passing.
wink.gif

The CK5654 and CL5654 are individual manufacturers ways of coding their own tubes: the CK5654 is a RAYTHEON tube, but is still a 5654 type pentode. The EF905 and E95F are simply another way of numbering the EF95 (limited research may also suggest that the EF905 is technically different from the EF95).

There are a bewildering array of CV (common valve) numbers, made for the British military. Most are very hard to come by - I certainly haven't come across them on my travels - but the CV850 (EF95) and CV4010 (M8100) are quite easy to come by.

As far as I know, PrTv, there are no western equivalents to the 6S19P. I came close a couple of times, but in the end I came across no direct drop-ins. Some say there is no need for a "better" western tube: the 6S19P is a very well respected, a high point in Soviet tube manufacturing.

May 10, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,356 of 1,892
Got my LM Ericsson 403B's. Played some songs and here is my first impression compared to the Mullard M8100's using RS-1:

The E's seems to be clearer/brighter and more detailed, and a little more analytical than the M's. The M's are more lush to my ears. The first thought was that they sounded a bit more "metallic", but that seems to have settled down now.

I have some favorite songs that I know well I listen to everytime I roll tubes. Noticed the bass seemed a bit tighter with nice impact. I'll roll back and get another listen -Just did, and the M's are a bit darker and lush with maybe a little "rounder" bass, but nothing wrong with that. The sound of the M's seem a bit more relaxed to my ears, almost a bit veiled compared to the E's, in a good way. At least with the RS-1.

I think the E's could be a good match with the HD650, as the M's are a bit darker sounding and lush compared to the E's. For RS-1, first impression is that I still prefer the M's.

Unfortunately, there is a low background hum with the E's. It might go away after using them a bit, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen.
So, if the hum goes away, I'll leave them in for a while. If not, I'll be happy with the M's until my ZD arrives.

May 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #1,359 of 1,892
It's good to hear your impression, nor_spoon.

When you receive WE403B tubes, please do some comparison and let us know the difference in their sound signature, since I understand that WE403B and E403B came from the same manufacturer, but WE403B is cheaper and easier to come by.

May 10, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #1,360 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know what the possibilities are about 332 upgrades? I'm very happy with mine so far but talk of other amp upgrades has had me thinking for a while.

Could we squeeze much more out of it with cap upgrades & such?

Anyone?

May 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #1,361 of 1,892
Thanks for your comments =)

I have had the WE403B's for some time, but I didn't think they sounded as good as the M8100's, so I haven't used them much. Sort of middle glare, and little more undefined bass to my ears. I need to check them again.
The Ericssons have been glowing for some time now, and the hum is gone. Nice.

If I remember correctly, I've read somewhere that Ericsson made some tubes for Western Electric in the 50's. Don't know which ones though.

May 10, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #1,362 of 1,892
Well, I tested the WE403B's again, listening to some songs on Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" with RS-1, and my impression is the same as last time I tried them. There is some colorization going on to my ears compared to the other tubes. Sort of like a yellow/golden tint or haze. Thats what pops up in my head everytime I listen to the WE's. The bass is also a bit more muffled or undefined. Back in the drawer they go.

Anyway, it's subtle differences, and hard when not directly A/B testing. I think they are all excellent tubes, but I prefer the Mullards or the Ericssons, leaning towards the latter.

May 11, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #1,363 of 1,892
Is it safe to leave tube amps running overnight?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone used their 332 with Sextett's or K340s?

How well did they pair? I'm thinking about getting one of them.

Thanks

An answer to this would be much appreciated if anyone has a pair of Sextett's in particular.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #1,364 of 1,892
Quote:

Is it safe to leave tube amps running overnight?

An answer to this would be much appreciated if anyone has a pair of Sextett's in particular.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Scott. I'm Headphone Czar at the Halo3 site.. The 340's & 332's have a great synergy together.. & the Sextetts are 600 ohms & pretty hard to drive. But not as hard as the 340's..

May 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #1,365 of 1,892
Quote:

Has anyone used their 332 with Sextett's or K340s?

How well did they pair? I'm thinking about getting one of them.

Thanks

I have both and the 332 has no problems driving either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back