Darkvoice just released 332
Apr 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #1,321 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i'm switching between my DV332 and EMU 0202 headphone out, and I'm not hearing much of a difference. The DV332 is obviously better, but I'm not sure if it's a $400 improvement
frown.gif

Hey Scottyyy,
There are a few things that might be effecting the performance of your 332. The first thing that comes to mind with using an internal soundcard as source is EMI, the inside of a computer is not really an ideal place to house an audophile analog component, not to critisize your setup at all but IMHO the source is the most key part of any audio chain.

Another thing to keep in mind is ground loops if you have ever heard one they are pretty easy to identify but can be a bit tricky to fix, cheater plugs may help.

What tubes are you using?

Finally if there is one thing I have learned researching high end audio is that once you leave the general consumer market gear the $$ to SQ is worse the higher you go.. so it is very possible that even with an ideal setup you may not feel the difference is worth what you spent. run away from head-fi!! save yourself!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #1,322 of 1,892
I am just wondering now, how much of a bottleneck my X-Fi is to my setup.

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #1,323 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Scottyyy,
There are a few things that might be effecting the performance of your 332. The first thing that comes to mind with using an internal soundcard as source is EMI, the inside of a computer is not really an ideal place to house an audophile analog component, not to critisize your setup at all but IMHO the source is the most key part of any audio chain.

Another thing to keep in mind is ground loops if you have ever heard one they are pretty easy to identify but can be a bit tricky to fix, cheater plugs may help.

What tubes are you using?

Finally if there is one thing I have learned researching high end audio is that once you leave the general consumer market gear the $$ to SQ is worse the higher you go.. so it is very possible that even with an ideal setup you may not feel the difference is worth what you spent. run away from head-fi!! save yourself!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

EMU 0202 USB is an external card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's probably not ideal, but I don't really want to spend more money on my setup.

I'm using 2 6S19P-V Uljanovsk tubes, and 2 LM Ericson 403b tubes.

But I'm gradually starting to like the DV332 more and more as I listen. Every so often I'll switch to the EMU, and notice that is sounds pretty lifeless compared to the DV332. It doesn't have the "smoothness" in the midrange that the DV provides either. So it's getting better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #1,324 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMU 0202 USB is an external card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's probably not ideal, but I don't really want to spend more money on my setup.

I'm using 2 6S19P-V Uljanovsk tubes, and 2 LM Ericson 403b tubes.

But I'm gradually starting to like the DV332 more and more as I listen. Every so often I'll switch to the EMU, and notice that is sounds pretty lifeless compared to the DV332. It doesn't have the "smoothness" in the midrange that the DV provides either. So it's getting better.
smily_headphones1.gif

*smacks self on forehead* d'oh, I was under the impression 0202 was an internal.
redface.gif
I'm glad the darkvoice is starting to grow on you a bit, your rig should be quite adequate and those are nice tubes as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just wondering now, how much of a bottleneck my X-Fi is to my setup.

Well, I'll say this.. if it sounds good to you it IS good. Though, if you have some extra cash and decided to upgrade your source I think you would hear a very nice return on your investment
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #1,328 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone else confirm that the current shipping DV332's include upgraded ceramic sockets?

Please refer to AntiGeek's post/pictures of the new sockets.

If the new sockets feature ceramic, what were the old ones made of?

i was thinking about buying a used DV332, but if the new ones fix the hum, i think it'd be preferable.

I don't know where you got the impression the DV332 has hum???

It doesn't - its silent.

Perhaps, some folks have had some bad tubes, or a ground loop... but... with good tubes, and elimination of the ground loop... it has no hum.

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #1,330 of 1,892
Anyone know what the possibilities are about 332 upgrades? I'm very happy with mine so far but talk of other amp upgrades has had me thinking for a while.

Could we squeeze much more out of it with cap upgrades & such?

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #1,331 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aw ok. was hoping it was something like that.

are the ceramic tube sockets in those photos actually a new addition to the DV332's? haven't heard anyone else comment on them.

I don't know what a "ceramic" tube socket looks like, or what alternatives there are.

All I know is that... the tube sockets in mine are white - thought all were.

I wouldn't worry too much about them. If you don't like them - I suspect its pretty inexpensive and easy to swap them out - likely a pretty simple DIY swap - I would guess.

May 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #1,332 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know where you got the impression the DV332 has hum???

It doesn't - its silent.

Perhaps, some folks have had some bad tubes, or a ground loop... but... with good tubes, and elimination of the ground loop... it has no hum.

I have great tubes and no ground loop, yet I still have a slight hum in the left channel that I can't quite eradicate. I'm in correspondence with DarkVoice about it.

May 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #1,333 of 1,892
Just a question: have you tried cleaning the pins on the tubes with something like Caig ProGold? This has eliminated slight hum for me in several amps I have had.

May 2, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #1,334 of 1,892
Have you tries shielding the amp? Something electrical nearby may be causing interference. I had this & it took me a LONG time to figure it out. I fixed it by moving the position of my amp & offending equipment (in my case my ADSL modem/router)

To test this turn your amp on but do not play any music through it. Then, move your hand (shaped like you are about to slap someone) around the amp slowly & see if the buzzing stops when your hand is in a certain area. If it does, what equipment have you blocked from transmitting its bad rays at you lovely amp?

Just a thought that might help you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back