Darkvoice just released 332
Jan 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #976 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, I was about to order some 6AK5's from Anthony Welch too, I guess I'll look for it elsewhere.
redface.gif

That's the reason I didn't buy from him - his pictures didn't match his description. Although... he said his tubes were Svets and the EV version, I was suspicious that they weren't, because of this disparity.

It's possible that he just uses "generic" pictures to cover several tubes - and that he actually has the tubes you want. On the other hand... he may just be relying on uniformed buyers to sell what he has - reasoning they won't care about the difference. In either case - I refused to accept that risk.

So... I shopped the Russian tube vendors, until I found them (emailed them to find out if they had them), and then bought them from those vendors.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #977 of 1,892
Just got some WE 403B's in the mail, rolled them in the DV332 and they sound fantastic (even without any burn-in). I think I definitely prefer them to the 6AK5W's. Also, no hum at all. Too bad I can't find any Ericcsons.

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #979 of 1,892
Lighter bass seems like the thing for me. A pair of WE403B's is on their way.

I think the Ericsson 403B's got rid of more veil compared to the Mullard M8100, but unfortunately they are useless because the pair I got hummed...

Looking forward to try the WE403B's

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #981 of 1,892
I agree with you, Nor Spoon, when I first fitted the 403Bs it was as if a veil had been lifted off the music, even with the RCA 6AK5Ws. Great tubes, and, as you say, the lighter bass is an attraction to me too.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #982 of 1,892
I followed bouddha's advice and got the Ericsson 403B's and they hummed for about a day and then they stopped. They sound fantastic. Enough base for me and they are really clear teamed up with the Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V's. I cannot speak to the Svetlana 6S19P-V's because I have not found any yet. If anyone out there wants to trade some Ulyanovsk's for some Svetlana's pm me and we can trade straight across. Thanks.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #983 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Goldie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I followed bouddha's advice and got the Ericsson 403B's and they hummed for about a day and then they stopped. They sound fantastic. Enough base for me and they are really clear teamed up with the Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V's. I cannot speak to the Svetlana 6S19P-V's because I have not found any yet. If anyone out there wants to trade some Ulyanovsk's for some Svetlana's pm me and we can trade straight across. Thanks.

Ok, I might leave them in a bit longer than I have. Mine are also very microphonic, not that it matters when playing.
If I tap on the 332 chassie I hear it well. Not like that with the Mullards.

Ted Goldie: Are your Ericsson tubes microphonic too?

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #984 of 1,892
I've bought the following tubes. Probably made some mistakes
frown.gif
. Aw well. I guess I will have to learn from my impatience

6J1P Generic Russian Tubes. No mention of who produced them but they were cheap

pic here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._05/6J1P_4.jpg

NOS EF95 CV850 Mullard Tubes in a blue box.

Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V

I figure I probably wasted money on the mullards and the generic russian tubes. I was going to try RCA or Sylvania ones but wasn't sure where to start. Couldn't find the M8100 Mullards that were mentioned on here so I figure I probably lucked out and got the worst ones I could get.

Don't have my DV 332 yet so I can't comment how they sound.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #985 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by fetalgoat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've bought the following tubes. Probably made some mistakes
frown.gif
. Aw well. I guess I will have to learn from my impatience

6J1P Generic Russian Tubes. No mention of who produced them but they were cheap

pic here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._05/6J1P_4.jpg

NOS EF95 CV850 Mullard Tubes in a blue box.

Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V

I figure I probably wasted money on the mullards and the generic russian tubes. I was going to try RCA or Sylvania ones but wasn't sure where to start. Couldn't find the M8100 Mullards that were mentioned on here so I figure I probably lucked out and got the worst ones I could get.

Don't have my DV 332 yet so I can't comment how they sound.

Actually,if I am not mistaken, both the Mullard and the Ulyanovsk tubes are excellent choices, as I recall from earlier posts.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #986 of 1,892
No mistakes, Fetalgoat. And some good choices there.

The Russian tubes were made by the VOSKHOD factory in 1973: it is the direct equivalent of the Chinese 6J1, but better built and more reliable. Haven't tried the basic 6J1P, but experimented with the "ruggedised" 6J1P-EV, and they were very good: very crisp and neutral, lots of detail and good bass.

The MULLARD EF95 is a very good little tube. Typical MULLARD house sound: warmish, lush, rich, open and detailed. The M8100 or CV4010 are special quality versions of the EF95, with black plates and longer life spans (about 10,000hrs). All the above carry European tube designations. Try also some US made tubes, like SYLVANIA, RAYTHEON, AMPEREX and RCA. Look for the 6AK5, or the better quality 6AK5W; the 5654, 5654W and 5654SQ. Another great tube, one of the very best in fact, is the WESTERN ELECTRIC 403A and the special quality 403B. The Swedish company ERICSSON also make a 403B - well worth a try if you can get your hands on a pair.

The ULYANOVSK made 6S19P-B is a cracker tube: built like a tank and sounds excellent. Again, not much tube warmth, but crisp and detailed, with great separation. The SVETLANA 6S19P/6S19P-B is another great choice: sounds different from the ULYANOVSKs, more organic and valve-like.

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #987 of 1,892
Nor Spoon I checked my Ericsson 403Bs and they are not microphonic at all. The box said they were from General Electric of Canada, but inside the tubes say Ericsson of Sweden. They do not glow very much but I read somewhere they are a lower power tube. That is why I think they do not glow very much.

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #988 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Goldie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nor Spoon I checked my Ericsson 403Bs and they are not microphonic at all. The box said they were from General Electric of Canada, but inside the tubes say Ericsson of Sweden. They do not glow very much but I read somewhere they are a lower power tube. That is why I think they do not glow very much.

I think Ericsson made those tubes for GE in the 50's or so.

Fortunately, I have another pair of Ericsson and WE 403B's on their way. Hopefully they will be better.

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #989 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the Ulyanovsk 6S19P-B from gordelux04 at Ebay and I'm very pleased with my purchase, I got 4 tubes for about 15€ (incl. shipping).

I got mine from this seller (Items for Sale by yen1233) and they're great. He seems to carry some interesting 6AK5's too.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #990 of 1,892
I just picked up the 332 from rhythmdevils and think its added quite a bit to the bottom end on the k701 compared to the Corda HA-2. Overall the K701 sounds more full. Can't say I can tell much difference with the W5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back