Darkvoice just released 332
Dec 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #931 of 1,892
I now finally have a 332DV. I have ordered some Russian tubes and the Swedish 403B's. A new power cord is ordered. My cables are being built and the sound of this amp improves by the second. This hobby is more addictive than drugs. The sound even with the stock tubes is great. I also have a little P1 IBrasso. The sound is good but this sound is so much different. To those who do not have a tube amp yet you need to get one. I am an old fart and I loved records years ago, until nothing was available in records anymore. The CD sound that replaced records was accurate but lacked what a good needle and turnable could produce. This turned me off music enough that I listened less. Well this amp even with a cheap CD source produces the sound like I used to listen to with my old but very expensive turntable. I am finding the solid state amps produce very accurate and crisp sound, but the tube amp colors the music in such a way that it sounds warmer and richer. Thanks for all those that have led me down this path of purchasing the Darkvoice. This thread was very helpful. Oh yeah now I am broke, but happier.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #932 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any problems with tubes arcing in the 332?

As I said, I read in the 337 thread that someone had a problem with a tube arcing in the 337 and damaging his headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3434402-post166.html

Should I be worried about this with the stock tubes and/or with other tubes in the 332? If so, should I start up the amp without headphones plugged in?

Isn't tube arching caused primarily by the tube or does amp layout play an important role too ? In an OTL design I would plug in the headphones a few seconds after power-up, especially with new or aging tubes.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #933 of 1,892
My 332 arrived last night, 5 days from Jasmine in China. Great to deal with and open for negotiation.

I can't belive I waited this long for a home amp. Loving it already even before the tubes warm up never mind the amp burning in.

My amp even arrived before my interconnects that I ordered from England two weeks ago !!!!! So I am only listening to it through some 99c leads I found in the back of a cupboard an it already sound amazing with only stock tubes.

I am going to leave it playing for a few days solid, ( with a cheeky listen now and again )

Already I am loving the detail of the amp. Its worth buying one just to look at the tubes in the dark.

More impressions later.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #934 of 1,892
Glad you guys are loving your 332s.
tongue.gif
And the good thing is, it only gets better.

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #935 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't tube arching caused primarily by the tube or does amp layout play an important role too ? In an OTL design I would plug in the headphones a few seconds after power-up, especially with new or aging tubes.

Indeed, the design of the 337 has nothing to do with arcing tubes. The tube was bad, and arced - would have done this in any amp. This is why owning a tube tester is a good idea. But blaming the 337 is wrong.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #936 of 1,892
If I cannot afford to go out and buy a tube tester (aren't they pretty expensive???), what can I do to try to minimize risk when trying new tubes? Startup amp without headphones plugged in? Would it be worth it to startup the amp and warm it up with some cheap throwaway headphones and then once everything is going ok, unplug the cheap hps and quickly plug in the real headphones? This question is probably very naive but I have not owned any real tube amps before (only X-can, a hybrid) and want to do it right. I know one should not keep the amp running without any hps plugged into it.

Isn't there a chance that the tubes will arc after using them repeatedly (not just the first time you try them). Should one test them everytime you use them or just the first time. I assume that there will be warning signs if a tubes is going bad like some buzzing, correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #937 of 1,892
Today one of the little tubes (still stock) started to hum. I let it cool down removed it, cleaned it a bit, put it back in and turned the amp back on. Everything is normal again..
Hmm maybe I should get some M8100 soon.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #938 of 1,892
If you're really worried about it, you could buy your tubes tested and matched. You may have to pay a little more, but it would give you peace of mind. But with all the tubes I've bought and tried, none have arched and only one was faulty - totally dead.

Personally, I leave my HD650s plugged in all the time: any potential danger would come with plugging you headphones in while the amp is on.
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #939 of 1,892
I just got a DV 332! Beautiful amp.

But does anyone else find it to have a bit of an edge to it? It seems to have incredible punch and force behind notes, very dynamic. But the edges of notes sound sharp to me. Definitley not shrill, and its not harsh. But it is not entirely rich either.

I think I read Superpredator say something similar, but not sure if it was him. Has anyone else experienced this?

ps. ive been using WE's, Mullards, a whole slew of both input and output tubes that came with my amp. i think the only ones i haven't tried are the RCA's...

EDIT: Using grados I just went from the 332 w/mullards to my supermicro, and the supermicro sounds more "tubey"! lol. Of course, with my 600 ohm AKG's, the supermicro cant stand up next to the DV. it just keeps falling over
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #940 of 1,892
It will mellow a bit with burn in - too early to make judgments.

Though... it is not as "tubey" as other tube amps are... and... it really complements "warm" phones like the Senns. But... it does sound pretty good with ATHs and Grados after its burnt in... and... with the right CDP/DAC and cables.

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #941 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will mellow a bit with burn in

eek.gif
it is fully burnt in, as i got it from a fellow head-fier. tubes are also fully burnt in...

My akg's are also pretty warm phones, and the sharpness really bothers me. It is hard to describe. Most of the note is rich, but really punchy, like there is an army of super ants living inside the 332 pushing behind every note. It sounds amazingly powerful.

But then the edges of the notes have a sharpness, like they are tipped up on the sides. (sorry if this doesnt make any sense, i dont really know how to describe these things)

I hear it with the grados too. But I think it may be an issue of synergy. Im sure the amp wasn't voiced with these akg's. I bet it sounds great with the 650's.

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #942 of 1,892
Oh... well then... what you hear may be its true sound with your set up.

It does have a somewhat "sharp" sound with my Grados and ATHs - both fairly low impedence phones. I'm thinking... it may be best with high impedence phones - it is great with the Senns... likely, because of the qualities you describe.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #944 of 1,892
I think that I know what you are talking about rhythmdevils.
I experience this sharpness on some music with my K701 but I don't think it's unpleasant and most of the time I like it (for example every guitar note in a solo sounds very powerful and accurate).
The sound is much smoother with Sennheisers but I think both AKGs and Senns sound good with this amp.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #945 of 1,892
Hi,

wanted to let you now about the tremendous sound improvement that came with the M8100s. I´ve completely re-discovered my music collection (600+ new CD´s
wink.gif
) From the very first moment on there was so much more soundstage and I could hear more detail in every edge of it. Impressing. Even with Discs I thought I completely knew for years, I discovered there was additional information for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Merry X-Mas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back