Darkvoice just released 332
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #406 of 1,892
How would you rate the Denons relative to the AKG K701s?

I've shifted to using my Darkvoice mostly with my K701s and Sennheiser HD 650s and have pretty much put down the Beyerdynamic DT 880s. I still they are great cans for the money, but I find the AKGs and Senns to be far superior choices for this amp. I haven't yet decided which cans I like best with the Darkvoice. It's very close. The presentation with the AKGs is very detailed, and the Senns are expansive, lush. Hard to choose at this point. I enjoy them both.

--Jerome

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #407 of 1,892
Glad to hear it, Munchkin, and thanks.

I don't think it is placebo, Jsaliga. If something is better engineered, using better quality components and superior craftmanship, then it's logical to suppose that that skill and dedication will be reflected in the sound quality. Generally speaking, where tubes are concerned, the older a tube is the better it will sound, simply because it was the golden era of the tube (50s and 60s), and money was being invested in development and a highly skilled work-force was on hand to build them. The same cannot be said today, in the age of the transistor.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #408 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it is placebo, Jsaliga. If something is better engineered, using better quality components and superior craftmanship, then it's logical to suppose that that skill and dedication will be reflected in the sound quality.

Hi Godkin,

That was never in question. Keep in mind that I am not making reference to a comparison of stock tubes to any of the higher quality substitutes. I am talking about how the best tubes from Western sources compare to each other. Both you and hew have said yourselves that the differences are quite subtle, and I am merely suggesting that part -- though perhaps not all -- of that subtlety may be a self fulfilling prophecy, brought about by mere virtue of the fact that a change was made. I don't know that for sure, and I haven't done the listening tests with the sheer variety of tubes that some of you have. My only point is that at the highest quality levels, there may not be much a difference in sound quality, at least not enough to justify the stiff price premiums one must pay for some of these tubes. And that is something worth considering for the average buyer.

To me the fun with this amp isn't to go on a never-ending quest to find the perfect combination of tubes that will lead me to a state of audio bliss (I'm probably there already anyway). Part of it was an experiment to find out how high the sound quality barometer can go with minimal cash outlay. I spent $450 for the amp, delivered to my door, and about another $75 for tubes. I think I did pretty well for myself, to be honest, and there's no question that I have you guys to thank for it. I'll be sure to try the tubes that I have en route, but I really don't see myself going much further with this amp than I already have. I have other fish to fry, as it were. There are a couple of nice 845 monoblocks that I need to get ordered, and to spring for good quality tubes for those, which undoubtedly will be needed.

This is all great stuff indeed.

--Jerome

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #409 of 1,892
the d5000s are a very nice can.. i only have a few hours break in and they sound really good.. they have just as much detail as the k701s, nice highs (although a little harsh, i've heard this dies down with break in) and great bass.. compared to the k701 they have a warm sound, but it makes them a really "fun" sounding headphone.. the k701 has more mids though.. i've found that on some tracks the vocals can be a bit recessed on the denons.. but have sounded brilliant on the k701..

i cant compare them to the hd650s cause i've never heard them..

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #410 of 1,892
Thanks munchkin. I should have also asked you about comfort, which to me is as important as how they sound.

I love the sound of my AKG K701s, but they are not comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. I always keep my hair cut very short, and that leather headband starts to dig into my scalp after about 40 minutes and I need to take the phones off for a bit. The Sennheiser HD 650s, on the other hand, are the very definition of comfort. I can wear them all day and never feel fatigued or experience any discomfort. Being an owner of the HD 650s and reading Godkin's comments about how they performed with the Darkvoice 332 was one of the main reasons I bought the amp. Fortunately the Darkvoice is also a very good fit for the AKG K701s as well as the Beyerdynamic DT 880s.

Getting back to the subject of tubes for a moment...I am going to eat some of the words in my earlier post.
smily_headphones1.gif
In spite of my feelings about building massive tube collections to try I could not resist the siren call of a pair of Mullard M8100s that I found for $30. I also managed to find a pair of Western Electric 403Bs that were a shade more expensive. In for a penny, in for a pound I suppose. Don't get the impression that I did it under duress. I bought the tubes because I wanted to and the price was right. And since I raised the question about the possiblity that some of the differences between the best tubes might be in part self-fulfilling prophecy, I figured I owed it to myself out of curiosity to do some listening tests with these other tubes. I think I first balked at the idea when I saw a pair of WE 403Bs for $75, which I think is absurdly high. I paid almost half that, which is much more reasonable for a pair of 1958 NOS WE 403B tubes.

Happy listening...

--Jerome

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #411 of 1,892
I've been looking for some WE 403Bs myself, but no luck for me.. Hope they sound great! Let us know when you get them..

By the way, the Denons are really comfortable, look for the thread in the headphone section.. skylab thinks they're the most comfortable headphones he's worn haha..

May 1, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #412 of 1,892
I've decided to add a vinyl setup to my audio rig. I have about 250 LPs (but no turntable). So I need multiple inputs. Someone suggested a stereo source switcher and I thought that option over, but instead I decided to buy a Woo 2 with a power tube upgrade to the Tung Sol 5998s. I haven't decided what I will do with the Darkvoice 332 yet. I will at least keep it long enough to compare the sound of the Darkvoice to the Woo 2.

A batch of 6J1P-EVs I bought on eBay from Russia came in the mail yesterday, though I haven't tried them yet. Still waiting on the 6S19P-Vs.

--Jerome

May 3, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #414 of 1,892
Hey fellow 332i owner. Does anyone have a spare pair of Ulyanovsk 6S19P-B that I can buy? I current have the Svets, do they sound any different??

Thanks,

Mike

May 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #415 of 1,892
The SVETs are excellent tubes, but the ULYANOVSKs are crisper in their presentation. Separation is also better.

I have some ULYANOVSKs, but live in the UK. If interested, PM me.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #417 of 1,892
Omg, where do I get a white one?!?!?!

I might come back to the 332 since it fits one of the headphones on my choice list, and a white one is just so sexy.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #419 of 1,892
lol, why? I think he is doing very fine with his. Plus these white ones are too sexy to opt going back to a black one.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #420 of 1,892
Huh, if they burn all of them in, I wonder how hot that room is, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back