Darkvoice just released 332
Feb 21, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #181 of 1,892
Does anyone know why 332 is provided with valve caps for hum reduction and 336i is not (I assume so)? From the last message there are seemingly more hum issues with 336i than with 332. Isn't it a bit paradoxical?

PS Thanks jamesp and godkin for your honesty in stressing the subtlety in diferences about 332 and 336i, it is not a common practice among head-fiers and it can help others to save a good money.
wink.gif

PSII. I would appreciate if someone can post pics of the 332 in dark so I can see the glow of the valves (the look is quite important to me in a valve amp and from the pics I have seen it seems as if 336i glows more intensely than 332)

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #182 of 1,892
Quote:

I would appreciate if someone can post pics of the 332 in dark so I can see the glow of the valves

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=204071&page=8
about the middle of the page. although its not in very dark situation.

Quote:

Does anyone know why 332 is provided with valve caps for hum reduction and 336i is not (I assume so)?

Those are heatsinks.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #183 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS Thanks jamesp and godkin for your honesty in stressing the subtlety in diferences about 332 and 336i, it is not a common practice among head-fiers and it can help others to save a good money.
wink.gif

I'm just glad to be able to contribute something as this forum have helped me a lot in my journey to find a perfect headphone/amp combo, well I guess you could look at it differently as it cost me much more than I anticipated
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #184 of 1,892
I am not planning to buy the Darkvoice right now, I have bought three headphone amps during the past two months. But I enjoy reading the posts.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #185 of 1,892
Thanks malos for the pics (I had already seen those). Yet I would like to see the 332 running on in full dark; could someone post a few nice pics before falling asleep
icon10.gif
?

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #186 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks malos for the pics (I had already seen those). Yet I would like to see the 332 running on in full dark; could someone post a few nice pics before falling asleep
icon10.gif
?

I will try tonight just you you buddy....
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #187 of 1,892
I ran it in the dark...warm but not firey. (visually). (and temperature-vise).

Sometimes I wish these things would pulse or something, that would make for excellent feeling of music being alive.

Oh well, got some Svetlanas (power) an RCAs (pre) on the way, fun fun :wink:

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #188 of 1,892
Thanks jamesp I will be looking forward to those pics
wink.gif

Concerning the heatsinks, malos, I thought the covers were related somehow to reduce the hum (or at least this is what I understood from some of the posts above), so the question is: is there hum or not (other than the usual period for new valves).
Thanks

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #190 of 1,892
Thanks Godkin...save me from having to wear a photographers hat tonight
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #191 of 1,892
Mine has hum, and I would be surprized if it is not tube related (I'll get some fresh ones soon and we will see). The hum is at pretty low floor, it is only audible without music playing.
Heatsinks are there solely to increase lifetime of the tubes. From the posts above - there are some solutions for hum if it is bothersome with some microphonic tube - popular one is dampeners, simple and straightforward. There are also combinations of heatsinks and dampeners, and some other stuff, so if it is an issue with some tubes there are cheap and simple solutions.

Feb 22, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #192 of 1,892
Yeah, Malos, sounds like a "duff" tube. The noise seems to be a low level background hum. When the get the new tubes change them around and see were the problem is coming from. Those SHUGUANG 6J1s are rubbish.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #193 of 1,892
Its ironic how even though the tubes are rubbish, the amp still granted me exactly what I wanted to hear as an improvement from hd595, although airiness was lost a lil, all hopes on new tubes. My current objective headphone is known to be on the thinner/airier side though, this should be a very interesting combination.

Honestly I can now see why select few people recommend trying high end amplification with hd595 before sending them off as not as good of a headphone as other Senns.

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #194 of 1,892
Thanks for the pics godkin. I certainly want to enter the valve world (never listened to a valve amp before) and you guys made me crave for one of these two models. The problem is which one I should choose
icon10.gif
. On the one hand I love the 332 look, on the other hand I perhaps should start with the lower model to find out if I like the valve sound (something I don't know yet) and possibly upgrade later. What I primarily want is to get a different taste from solid state and I assume that 336i should be enough for that purpose. Do you agree?

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #195 of 1,892
Ya of course, blame us for the cravings...
600smile.gif

Man oh man, the soundstage and subtle positioning this thing outputs through my hd595, <3.

Btw, got my power conditioner, put it in the line. The hum did not go away, but changed in its nature. It was rather bassy before, pure 60 hz, now it seems to be like one octave up and bit quieter. O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back