Darkvoice just released 332
Jul 22, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #1,591 of 1,892
Yeah, anyone got DAC recommendations for using with the DV332? A large part of my music is digital, and so for the most part, I use my MF xcanv8.

However, the stereo-RCA output of the xcanv8 is pass through of the RCA-input, and it just bypasses the DAC completely. So I can't really connect the DV to the MF unit.

I don't really have a dedicated CD player (using a playstation temporarily lol), so I've been looking for a good DAC unit to use in conjunction with the DV for my sennheiser setup.

Jul 22, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #1,592 of 1,892
Here's some DAC's that get good reviews... I don't know which ones have a USB connection - but maybe you can work around that.

Mhdt Laboratory Paradisea and Constantine DACs Review By Joe Audiophile (Scott Faller)

Pacific Valve & Electric Company - DAC

Just click on the buttons to review.

I'd be tempted to try the Paradisea DACs...

Of course... I'm assuming you're looking for a relatively inexpensive DAC / CDP - if not... see my signature below for some of the best available at any price - though they're all relatively inexpensive.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #1,594 of 1,892
In the cold light of lunchtime I poped off the valve covers and removed/replaced all the valves. Nasty noise has gone, and so has the 'pinging' sounds, so all well and good. After an hour of being left on the noise was back. Going to swap the valves about now. Can I assume that the right hand vaves on the amp correspond to the right hand sound channel?

I put the valve covers back on, they weren't a tight fit. In fact, some of the valves seems quite a lose fit in the sockets. Still everything seems to be ok, going to have a listen later on. Guess the first time you heard strange noises you are hypersensitive!

As for DAC's - well I've been very happy with the Beresford Mk6/3 from HomeHiFi.co.uk, its a good price and Stanley will provide a money back offer, so if you don't get on with it, you'll be out of pocket to the tune of p&p (if your in the UK then its a no-brainer).

I found that it really opened up the sound, provided lots of hidden detail etc, really did a good job, especially at the price. And I'm finding it a great companion to the 332.

BT

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #1,595 of 1,892
oki, I've swithced all the valves around, and there is no difference.
I've replaced the power lead, changed the input source, all to no avail. The noise is only in a single chanel (right side).

The sound is like the noise you get if you are changing volume on a cheap pot, and distant crackling, its sparodic, hear it for a few seconds, then nothing, then back again.
I can hear the sound with no volume on the amp, and with no input to the amp (so its not the source).
Any clues as to what to do next?

I realised I had bought a replacement set of valves, got them before the I got the amp, so I just replaced all the stock valves with 2x M8100 (Mullard) and 2x6C19 (Svetlana) . These are now running in, and no sign of any noise, but I'm all nervous now, guess I'll calm down when I get a few hours of music without any spurious noises.

I guess there is no point trying to figure out which of the stock tubes is at fault and just buy up a new full set from ebay. Should I stick with Mullard and Svetlana, or try out some other flavours?

BT

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #1,596 of 1,892
Three words when owning a tube amp are, experiment, experiment, experiment. Absolutely, try as many tubes as possible. The M8100s and Svetlana will give you a very tubey sound: euphonic, rich, on the warmer side of neutral, nicely detailed with deep bass. More neutral sounding tubes are the RCA 6AK5W, 403A/403B, or even the 6J1P-EV. At the moment I'm running a pair of AEG/Telefunken 6AK5Ws, and they too are very neutral sounding tubes: but they're also very balanced, nothing too accentuated or recessed - perfect in other words. The Ulyanovsk made version of the 6S19P is also leaner in character, and partners the M8100 very well.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #1,597 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oki, I've swithced all the valves around, and there is no difference.
I've replaced the power lead, changed the input source, all to no avail. The noise is only in a single chanel (right side).

The sound is like the noise you get if you are changing volume on a cheap pot, and distant crackling, its sparodic, hear it for a few seconds, then nothing, then back again.
I can hear the sound with no volume on the amp, and with no input to the amp (so its not the source).
Any clues as to what to do next?

I realised I had bought a replacement set of valves, got them before the I got the amp, so I just replaced all the stock valves with 2x M8100 (Mullard) and 2x6C19 (Svetlana) . These are now running in, and no sign of any noise, but I'm all nervous now, guess I'll calm down when I get a few hours of music without any spurious noises.

I guess there is no point trying to figure out which of the stock tubes is at fault and just buy up a new full set from ebay. Should I stick with Mullard and Svetlana, or try out some other flavours?

BT

No need to buy more of the stock tubes. If you're sure they were the problem, just email the vendor and have them send you some replacements - if its new and under warranty. Though... I don't know why you'd want the stock tubes - they're OK, but all the others we've discussed are better.

Also... I don't know that I'd run my amp with the tube covers on. I think those are there primarily to protect the tubes, during shipment. I'm not sure they function well as "heat sinks" to cool the tubes - see discussion of tube covers on Herbies Audio web site. So... I just removed them, and use Herbies Tube Dampers. I also use a small portable fan from WalMart to cool the amp / tubes. I don't know whether the tube covers might have contributed to your issues, or not... but... I'd probably just eliminate them.

And... sometimes a POT can cause the symptoms you describe. I found that rotating the POT back and forth a lot, can "clean" off any corrosion and quiet them down. I've also sprayed on corrosion cleaner before to help clean them.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #1,598 of 1,892
I just wanted to have a back-up set of tubes, just in case, but your right, there are better out there.
I will run now without those covers on, I thought I'd read that they were there to reduce interference, but I've read so much over the last few weeks about valves and amps that it might have been just a dream!
I'll track down some valve dampers, hopefully find a seller in the UK.

Cheers

BT

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #1,599 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to have a back-up set of tubes, just in case, but your right, there are better out there.
I will run now without those covers on, I thought I'd read that they were there to reduce interference, but I've read so much over the last few weeks about valves and amps that it might have been just a dream!
I'll track down some valve dampers, hopefully find a seller in the UK.

Cheers

BT

Some do report tube covers are used to reduce interference - you'll see that on the Herbies Audio site. But... if you don't have much of an issue with interference... you shouldn't need them.

They can also help maintain a tight fit of the tubes in their sockets. But I usually spread the pins to improve fit - carefully and gently.

Though... if you use a small fan to cool your amp - the covers may be beneficial overall. I just worried that they might actualy hold more heat in the tubes, than they drew off.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #1,600 of 1,892
Big Tony, get in touch with Herbie at his online store. He's a great guy to deal with, and will give you any help you need. I live in the UK, and not only was shipping really cheap but really quick as well.

The pots in the 332 are pretty cheap carbon types. I haven't seen the one in the 332 but in the Figaro it's made by a Tawainese company called MK. I think I'll have to replace the pot in the Figaro; distorts when it is turned up.

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #1,601 of 1,892
Just more reason to tube roll, that's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #1,602 of 1,892
Hey guys, when you turn off your amp, do you hear "pop" sound from your headphones?

I can hear that with my unit, though the volume is set to zero. I understand that this is normal and won't hurt the headphones, but I'd rather prefer silence. To prevent that "pop" sound to happen, I have to switch off the power switch on the power distributor first; then turn off the amp's power switch. This is very inconvenient as I now use power conditioner like this, and turning it off means everything connected is also off.

Does your unit pop? If so, do you think it’s serious?

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #1,603 of 1,892
I'm pretty sure mine does it too PrTv, it also makes a noise when I throw the switch to turn it on. I have no idea if its anything to worry about but it doesnt really seem loud enough to damage the phones.

edit: just tested it. What I hear mostly is the microphonic ping from the shock to the tubes when flipping the heavy switch, same noise I get when plugging my phones in or tapping the amp.. not much pop sound at all

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #1,604 of 1,892
from another thread: Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This applies to almost all headphone amps:
When turning on or off, DO NOT have the headphones plugged in. dont even think about risking this one unless your amp REQUIRES a load, which it probably dosnt.
When plugging headphones in/out turn volume to minimum, or mute your source.

So it might be a good idea to unplug the phones before turning off the 332 if you are getting popping sounds or just as a general precaution

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #1,605 of 1,892
Thanks for the info.

I found this in Woo Audio manual (for WA-5).

Quote:

DO unplug the standard headphone before switching off the amp. You do not have to do this or you will hear a small pop sound in the headphone (the pop will not damage the headphones anyway).

This seems to be normal, but I don't know if it's a good idea to unplug the phones everytime I turn off the amp cause doing so can wear out the headphone plug and socket.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back