Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Sep 28, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #631 of 909
Another member of the family... You'll love your new toy!

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #632 of 909
Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I am in anguish over tube replacements. I plagiarized the setup Skylab has in his profile, but I am having difficulty locating those tubes at a reasonable price. It seems that it would cost me well over $100 to purchase these tubes. Do you think that I will be satisfied for a while with the stock tubes? I need to recover from the financial hit I took with ordering the amp. I am also thinking of getting an Equinox cable for my HD650, but the bottom line is not pretty. So far I've been able to fund the purchase of the DV337 without dipping into my student loans, as I don't really think it is ethical to use those funds for audio gear anyway. Decisions, decisions! The very weak voice of common sense deep inside me is struggling to get to the surface and tell me to stop.

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #633 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex1pdx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I am in anguish over tube replacements. I plagiarized the setup Skylab has in his profile, but I am having difficulty locating those tubes at a reasonable price. It seems that it would cost me well over $100 to purchase these tubes. Do you think that I will be satisfied for a while with the stock tubes? I need to recover from the financial hit I took with ordering the amp. I am also thinking of getting an Equinox cable for my HD650, but the bottom line is not pretty. So far I've been able to fund the purchase of the DV337 without dipping into my student loans, as I don't really think it is ethical to use those funds for audio gear anyway. Decisions, decisions! The very weak voice of common sense deep inside me is struggling to get to the surface and tell me to stop.

Hey, i'm a student here too (my 337 is just right next to my desk in my dorm room). If you're short on cash, i suggest you not to purchase the replacement cable for the 650 yet. Stock tubes sound OK to me, but if you REALLY have to spend some more money, get some phillips 6SJ7WGT from ebay for about 11USD apiece. as for the big tube, some JAN RCA ones pop up occasionally and they don't go for too much compared to the 5998 or mullard 6080. Pataburd mentioned that he likes the svetlanas too.

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #634 of 909
I would put a cable WAY down your list of priorities, especially if money is tight.

If I were you, I'd enjoy the stock 337 for awhile before you even start rolling tubes. Get a feel for the sound of the amp and who knows, you might be plenty pleased with the way it is. I really enjoyed the stock sound and I put quite a few hours on them before I tried any other tubes.

I've mentioned it before in the 337 tube rolling thread, but to my ears, tubes really don't make a HUGE difference in the sound of an amp. If you don't like it stock, I don't think any amount of tube rolling is going to change that. I think different tubes offer different variations on the theme of the amp, but the overall character of the amp is going to come through.

Now, all that being said, there are some really great bargains to be had in the tube complement on the 337 (one of the reasons I bought it). Try the RCA "Red Hots", Pataburd has some for sale right now on the FS page for a good price. I really liked them and they're cheap. As for power tubes; check the 337 tube rolling thread for some suggestions on reputable dealers that sell them pretty cheap (again, Skylab's recs).

Anyway, bottom line, enjoy it stock for a while; no need to rush into anything else until you've spent some nice time with what you've go already.

Enjoy!

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #635 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would put a cable WAY down your list of priorities, especially if money is tight.

If I were you, I'd enjoy the stock 337 for awhile before you even start rolling tubes. Get a feel for the sound of the amp and who knows, you might be plenty pleased with the way it is. I really enjoyed the stock sound and I put quite a few hours on them before I tried any other tubes.

I've mentioned it before in the 337 tube rolling thread, but to my ears, tubes really don't make a HUGE difference in the sound of an amp. If you don't like it stock, I don't think any amount of tube rolling is going to change that. I think different tubes offer different variations on the theme of the amp, but the overall character of the amp is going to come through.

Now, all that being said, there are some really great bargains to be had in the tube complement on the 337 (one of the reasons I bought it). Try the RCA "Red Hots", Pataburd has some for sale right now on the FS page for a good price. I really liked them and they're cheap. As for power tubes; check the 337 tube rolling thread for some suggestions on reputable dealers that sell them pretty cheap (again, Skylab's recs).

Anyway, bottom line, enjoy it stock for a while; no need to rush into anything else until you've spent some nice time with what you've go already.

Enjoy!

I agree...

I you've got the "new" version of the HD650s (just bought them new, and not a pair 2+ years old) - I would just stick with the stock cable for now. It sounds great and you won't really improve the sound more than about 5%. The "new" version of the HD650s, need very little tweaking - they're great "right out of the box," with a good amp. And the DV337 is a great amp for the HD650s.

I'd also agree that tube changes make rather subtle changes in the sound of many amps. At least that was my experience with the DV332. Though, I noticed much more significant changes in the SP Extreme I had. But... I've found that Tung Sol tubes are usually among the best sounding tubes - in whatever type / design / construction. The Tung Sol 5998s, and 6080s, and the tubes that often are identical to them (Cetron, Chatham, Raytheon, etc.) - seem to have consistently extended, solid, tight bass, rich mids and clear, extended highs - a very dynamic sound. Those would be among my first changes, when you start rolling tubes.

There are not a lot of options for the 6SJ7s (unless you find/make some adapters)... but... here are some suggestions:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tub...20/203871.html

http://www.angela.com/catalog/tubes/Guitar_Tubes.html

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #636 of 909
Right - there is no need to jump right to the tubes I use which are hard to get and somewhat pricey (although still very cheap compared to many types of tubes). The key IMO is to replace the stock tubes with ANYTHING. Getting the JAN-Phillips 6SJ7WGT from Angela Instruments: Online Catalog costs $24, and a pair of NOS 6AS7G (almost always RCA) from Antique Electronic Supply costs $20. So that's less than $50 for a MAJOR improvement in sound over the stock tubes.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #637 of 909
Thanks everyone for the sensible advice. I will look into some of the less expensive tubes, but I will definitely put the custom cable on hold. I have been using my HD650 right out of the Zero's apm section and I've been enjoying it a lot. I can only imagine how it will sound out of the DV337. I can't wait to have it delivered! From what I understand it usually takes about two weeks for delivery to the US. School starts tomorrow, so I'll be busy anyway. I'll post some impressions once I had a chance to listen to it for a while.

Sep 29, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #639 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, don't forget there's the 6AS7GA. They're identical to 6AS7Gs except for the outside glass envelope. Last time I checked at Antique Electronic Supply, they were only $4 a piece.

Oh, man! I saw your post after I already ordered the 6AS7Gs from Antique ES. The funny thing is that they were listed right under the 6AS7G; just didn't make the connection (talk about being a greenhorn). But at 18/pair the 6AS7Gs are a great price as well. Beside, I think their glass envelope looks more impressive
tongue_smile.gif

Now I am bidding for a pair of 6SJ7 (don't anyone DARE bid on that) but if the price gets too high I can always get them from Angela Instruments for $24 plus shipping.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #640 of 909
Well, my DV 337 arrived today. When I got home from school there was a missed delivery card in my mail box. There was no way I was going to wait until 5pm to pick up the parcel from the post office, so I started driving around the neighborhood looking for the mail truck. I found it after about five minutes of driving in the rain (gotta love Oregon). Now, two hours later, it is nice an sunny outside and I am in audio heaven! Initially I warmed up the amp with the default tubes. Until today I've been listening to my HD 650s through the Zero's internal amp, so the change wasn't subtle at all. Glorious music! However, pretty soon I noticed something I didn't like. Yes, everything was much more clear and defined, but I was shocked to realize that on some passages the 650 was actually harsh. It kind of reminded me of my HFI-780s. I changed the tubes to the 6AS7Js and 6SJ7GTs. The difference was quite noticeable and the harshness disappeared. I am not good at describing the qualities of the sound I hear, all I can say is that I am totally amazed by the sound this amp produces. My wallet will hurt for quite a while, but I am really glad I made this purchase. I want to thank all those who posted impressions about this amp and tube options. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a purchase.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #641 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex1pdx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my DV 337 arrived today. When I got home from school there was a missed delivery card in my mail box. There was no way I was going to wait until 5pm to pick up the parcel from the post office, so I started driving around the neighborhood looking for the mail truck. I found it after about five minutes of driving in the rain (gotta love Oregon). Now, two hours later, it is nice an sunny outside and I am in audio heaven! Initially I warmed up the amp with the default tubes. Until today I've been listening to my HD 650s through the Zero's internal amp, so the change wasn't subtle at all. Glorious music! However, pretty soon I noticed something I didn't like. Yes, everything was much more clear and defined, but I was shocked to realize that on some passages the 650 was actually harsh. It kind of reminded me of my HFI-780s. I changed the tubes to the 6AS7Js and 6SJ7GTs. The difference was quite noticeable and the harshness disappeared. I am not good at describing the qualities of the sound I hear, all I can say is that I am totally amazed by the sound this amp produces. My wallet will hurt for quite a while, but I am really glad I made this purchase. I want to thank all those who posted impressions about this amp and tube options. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a purchase.

So is it worth the price of the DV337 over the internal amp of the Zero?
biggrin.gif
I wish the DV337 wasn't that too expensive
angry_face.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #642 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is it worth the price of the DV337 over the internal amp of the Zero?
biggrin.gif
I wish the DV337 wasn't that too expensive
angry_face.gif

I firmly believe that the vast sound improvement is just an auditory hallucination and it is due to the relatively high price I paid for this beast.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #643 of 909
originally I was looking for Doge 6210 or Wooaudio 6 to be my first tube amp, to match my AKG K701 which I just bought. I listen to the female vocal most of time, after doing research on this forum, it seems these amps should give me the warm/sweet sound I am looking for.

However the microsoft cashback offer on ebay made me pull the trigger on dv337, a very good deal hard to resist. Too bad I couldn't find any doge/woo amps on ebay. I hope the dv337 won't make me disappointed. But it seems dv337 may not match the K701 very well as I only find a few people using these two on this forum.

Any suggestion on what tubes I should try to make dv337 sweeter?

Thanks!

(btw., this is my 1st post on this forum after reading great posts on this forum for about a month. I am happy with my grado sr-80 without an amp for years, after reading this forum, I feel I want more...
happy_face1.gif
)

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #644 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
originally I was looking for Doge 6210 or Wooaudio 6 to be my first tube amp, to match my AKG K701 which I just bought. I listen to the female vocal most of time, after doing research on this forum, it seems these amps should give me the warm/sweet sound I am looking for.

However the microsoft cashback offer on ebay made me pull the trigger on dv337, a very good deal hard to resist. Too bad I couldn't find any doge/woo amps on ebay. I hope the dv337 won't make me disappointed. But it seems dv337 may not match the K701 very well as I only find a few people using these two on this forum.

Any suggestion on what tubes I should try to make dv337 sweeter?

Thanks!

(btw., this is my 1st post on this forum after reading great posts on this forum for about a month. I am happy with my grado sr-80 without an amp for years, after reading this forum, I feel I want more...
happy_face1.gif
)

Frank99,
Congratulations on your first HF post! : )

My experience with the DV337/K501 is not favorable--at least to my ears. With careful source-, cable- and tube-matching (I personally liked the JAN Sylvania VT-116A/Mullard 6080 combination the best), the K501 (which is actually harder to drive than the K701) can sound pretty good, but IMHO not their best, with the Darkvoice 337. Can't speak directly for the K701, only the K501 (and be advised: the K501 vis-a-vis K701 analogy may not carry over completely, or carry at all).

The 336i may be a different story, though. I actually had very good synergy between the K701 and the Darkvoice 336i when I paired them.

Warm and sweet? That's something, IMHO, the DV337 never will, and perhaps never can, be with its 6SJ7 drivers. Powerful, detailed and well-ordered? Yes. Warm and sweet? No. With a 6SN7 driver, employed in the 336i but not compatible with the 337, you can get much closer to warm and sweet.

The best synergy for me and the K701 came with the (hybrid) Bada PH-12. Ditto for the K501. IMHE, the Bada is a much, much better match for the K501, and quite possibly for the K701. (I never had the chance to a/b the DV337 and the PH-12 when I owned the K701; I've only heard the K701 matched with the Bada). The Bada PH-12 uses three (count 'em: 1, 2, 3!!) 6SN7s, which is why I decidedly prefer the more liquidy and lyrical Bada PH-12 to the more punctual and pragmatic DV337, especially for driving the K501.

The main reason I have the DV337 up for sale is due to its poor synergy with the K501.

Having recently found a pair of DT880/2003-250 ohm (one of favorite headphones of memory/prior ownership), I am looking forward to hearing them driven by the DV337. It would be nice to have a pair of open headphones to my liking that are also well-matched with the 337. It's painful to have the K501 within arm's reach, but with the Bada still away on mods. : )

PAB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back