Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Sep 11, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #617 of 909
My guess is the offending source has too hot an output voltage for the 337. It is surprising this sort of thing doesn't happen more, given how close most modern CDs come to being recorded at digital full-scale
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #619 of 909
Now that IS weird.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #620 of 909
I have a question on tube rolling in the 337. I've heard people mention ruining something (not sure what) by rolling tubes into the amp without waiting awhile after powering it down. I've heard some mention waiting an entire day in between power off and installing new tubes; is that the case?

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #621 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question on tube rolling in the 337. I've heard people mention ruining something (not sure what) by rolling tubes into the amp without waiting awhile after powering it down. I've heard some mention waiting an entire day in between power off and installing new tubes; is that the case?

I've heard this from somewhere as well, would also be interested to know why.

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #622 of 909
Quote:

I think you might be confusing the DV337 with the Bada hybrid amp.
The Bada would blow a mosfet if you don't wait a day.

I've never waited between tubes with my 337 and I haven't had any problems.

well, I have waited for the tubes to cool so I don't burn my fingers :)

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #623 of 909
I hope that's the case! I usually only wait so I don't burn my fingers as well.

So no danger in somewhat rapid tube changes?

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #624 of 909
I have changed tubes in my 337 after waiting no more than 5 minutes. As long as the amp is not open, and all you are doing is changing tubes, this should be OK. At least it hasn't been an issue for me.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #626 of 909
Quote:

BJB,
Five to ten minutes is enough time between tubes on the 337. However, I wear latex gloves and try to avoid any contact with the glass (I grasp the base of the tube when removing/inserting it). Getting oils from your fingers onto the glass can eventually cause "hot spots" and ensuing brittleness to the glass, or so I've read.

I usually wait 6 to 12 hours before rolling tubes with the Bada, to safeguard against damage to the MOSFETS. Bada does employ (3) diodes across each MOSFET as a precaution. Actually, I've rolled tubes on the Bada after as little as 1 hour without a problem, but I normally wait at least 6 to 12 hours just to be on the safe side.
PAB

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #627 of 909
Hi all,

so after a while, hm let's say around 7 months at this point, I've finally upgraded from a broken to broken-looking but working darkvoice 337. A bit has changed from my original setup, noticeably the lack of a pair of headphones which can properly connect to this amplifier haha; I'm currently AD2000-less and enjoying the k1000s through a vintage pioneer sx-100.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on how worthwhile it would be to try to source/make a TRS adapter for use with the darkvoice directly, or use the darkvoice as a preamp and try to source a decent power amp. The toll the darkvoice would take on my power bill seems for nothing in the latter configuration, but I'm on an increasingly tight budget. The problem with reselling for a new setup is that in transit over the summer the darkvoice seems to taken a beating, noticeably in the form of paint scratching around the ports where the banana plug cage inserts and the absence of a right blue LED. Cosmetic, I know, but some people care about that right?

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #629 of 909
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a DV337 from Audiophile China. I don't think I've ever been so nervous about a purchase. I hope it gets here in one piece. Now on to ordering some tubes!

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #630 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex1pdx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a DV337 from Audiophile China. I don't think I've ever been so nervous about a purchase. I hope it gets here in one piece. Now on to ordering some tubes!

Congrats, if you're using the 650's you'll be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back