Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Jan 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #346 of 909
Quote:

Mazuki - thanks - I just ordered a couple of 5693 "red hots"

Nice! They're not cheap, but how many other tubes are red colored!

Quote:

Mike, maybe its time I tried the 5693's I have. How long after you put them in did they quiet down.

Actually, they were quiet from the start. I can't remember if I got them new or used. They're very reliable and definitely low noise.

One thing to keep in mind, the 5693 was only manufactured by RCA, but was rebranded for some other companies. So there's no need to brand match, they're all made in the same place.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #347 of 909
skylab - had the Jan Phillips 6SJ7WGT's on now for 12-15 hours (since early this am) - they are "slightly" less noisy (but still far from I find acceptable for a noise floor-like I said, probably my luck I got a bum pair). The RCA "Red Hots" will be here tomorrow - I'll report in about them). The RCA Jan CRC 6AS7G's are a thing of beauty - brightly burn they do!

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #348 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
skylab - had the Jan Phillips 6SJ7WGT's on now for 12-15 hours (since early this am) - they are "slightly" less noisy (but still far from I find acceptable for a noise floor-like I said, probably my luck I got a bum pair). The RCA "Red Hots" will be here tomorrow - I'll report in about them). The RCA Jan CRC 6AS7G's are a thing of beauty - brightly burn they do!

Try to give them a full 24 hours to be sure. At least that way you will know if you can sell them as good tubes in case you like the red tops better.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #350 of 909
Yes I do own a digital camera - will post when I get time. I received the RCA 5693 "Special Reds" today and they are indeed "quiet" - thank god! I'll continue to try and burn in the 6SJ7WGT's (hopefully they will quiet down). So far, I'm very impressed with this amps ability with my HD650's - seems an incredible synergy - and I also agree this is the first time I have experienced no "head stage blob" - truly amazing! I'll listen soon to my Denon D5000's and see how the 337 likes a lower impedance (I tried them briefly and they sounded good).
Thanks for the help guys!

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #351 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock tubes are Chinese and IMO do not sound very good.

That bad? Sounds beautiful to me, but it's my first tube amp. Others seem to report that it sounds quite good in stock mode.

Definitely going to pick up some tubes in the next while though and see how I can change the sound.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #352 of 909
Hi guys, finally got my DV337 after a long following of this thread.i'm using the stock tubes n it sound awesome,btw my friend had pass me a matched pair of NOS Sylvania EL34 can i use them to replace the stock 6N5P.thks

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #354 of 909
The EL34 isn't even the same type of tube. The EL34 is a power pentode; the 6AS7 is a dual-triode. Using an EL34 in the 337 would probably cause something to blow up.

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #355 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EL34 isn't even the same type of tube. The EL34 is a power pentode; the 6AS7 is a dual-triode. Using an EL34 in the 337 would probably cause something to blow up.

thks Skylab for ur advise,i will look for 6AS7 n pair with 5693 "red hots"
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #356 of 909
Well, one Jan-Phillips 6SJ7WGT finally quieted down (sort of), the other still buzzes (so is a bum tube) - they do sound good though (better than the Special Reds-but they are nice also). I've ordered some Sylvania Chrome Top 6SJ7GT NOS Cryo from Tubeworld (Brendan's suggestion) - will report back on them. I'm really impressed with this amp's ability - seems the best of valves and sand (liquid, lush, detail, clarity, all rolled in one package). Oh, and what power - never heard this much headroom (pun intended)!

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #357 of 909
Quote:

I've ordered some Sylvania Chrome Top 6SJ7GT NOS Cryo from Tubeworld (Brendan's suggestion) - will report back on them.

Those look like they have a lot of potential. Do report back on the sound of those.

In the meantime, I've been trying out these EF80s. One thing for certain is they seem to have a lower noise floor than the 6SJ7. They're also less microphonic. There also seems to be pretty noticeable differences between brands. Definitely worth a look for some of you enterprising tube rollers.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #358 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look like they have a lot of potential. Do report back on the sound of those.

In the meantime, I've been trying out these EF80s. One thing for certain is they seem to have a lower noise floor than the 6SJ7. They're also less microphonic. There also seems to be pretty noticeable differences between brands. Definitely worth a look for some of you enterprising tube rollers.

Yes, I agree with Mazuki, please do report back on the cryo-treated Sylvanias! Full report, please!

Mazuki, I scored some Amperex EF80's on EBay for very little money...so maybe later I will beg you to make me some adapters
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #359 of 909
Mazuki, looking forward to hearing your impressions on your EF80 tubes! Heh.. I'd like to DIY my own adaptor too.. if you have the time, care to post the layout? Many thanks..

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #360 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, one Jan-Phillips 6SJ7WGT finally quieted down (sort of), the other still buzzes (so is a bum tube) - they do sound good though (better than the Special Reds-but they are nice also). I've ordered some Sylvania Chrome Top 6SJ7GT NOS Cryo from Tubeworld (Brendan's suggestion) - will report back on them. I'm really impressed with this amp's ability - seems the best of valves and sand (liquid, lush, detail, clarity, all rolled in one package). Oh, and what power - never heard this much headroom (pun intended)!

I left the amp on overnight, playing pink noise through it. The hum was gone by the next evening. I bought 2 sets of the 6SJ7WGT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back